What's new

WTF? Some dude is calling me "chow mein"??!!

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So I'm in Buckhead -- Atlanta, Ga. Nicest area of town. My colleague says take the train from the airport, its just as fast as a cab and is cheap, four bucks round trip.

I was just in atlanta late last year, so I figure why not--traffic sucks so this makes sense, plus save some bucks.

No problems whatsoever, everybody is polite from airport to Buckhead stop. I get to the stairs, and since I have a bunch of crap, wait for the elevator.

As soon as the door opens, a white guy, dressed in suit, no tie, about 45-50ish, with a roll-on greets me with, "Hello Chow Mein!". WTF?

He keeps saying how is it going chow mein, or are you lo mein. It was so random, I didn't know what to do. Anyway, I'm like get the fuck out of my way, but he is being polite--just calling me chow mein. Holds the door open for me, after he exits so I can get in without the door closing on me. As the door closes he is smiling--still very polite, then bows and says see you chow mein, have a nice day--but not sarcastic at all, just like he has seen an old friend.

WTF? Should I have bitch slapped him or what? I was in a suit and tie, etc....just freaking random.

What gives Atlanta???

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Maybe somebody put him up to it.

Or just breaking the monotony of the day, at the risk of gettin his ass stomped..........

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
What a weird, weird story. Either, the guy was an actual nut, or it is an inside joke with him and his friends, OR "chow mein" is a slang term that no one else knows about. Either way you should have kung fu'd his a$$ :stretchgr

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
WTF I dont understand that at all, but I totally laughed aloud reading it to my girl, just the way you put it was fantastic.

I dont know what is the matter with people these days... hahaha

I dunno if I woulda decked the dude or just laughed and shrugged it off.

So I'm in Buckhead -- Atlanta, Ga. Nicest area of town. My colleague says take the train from the airport, its just as fast as a cab and is cheap, four bucks round trip.

I was just in atlanta late last year, so I figure why not--traffic sucks so this makes sense, plus save some bucks.

No problems whatsoever, everybody is polite from airport to Buckhead stop. I get to the stairs, and since I have a bunch of crap, wait for the elevator.

As soon as the door opens, a white guy, dressed in suit, no tie, about 45-50ish, with a roll-on greets me with, "Hello Chow Mein!". WTF?

He keeps saying how is it going chow mein, or are you lo mein. It was so random, I didn't know what to do. Anyway, I'm like get the fuck out of my way, but he is being polite--just calling me chow mein. Holds the door open for me, after he exits so I can get in without the door closing on me. As the door closes he is smiling--still very polite, then bows and says see you chow mein, have a nice day--but not sarcastic at all, just like he has seen an old friend.

WTF? Should I have bitch slapped him or what? I was in a suit and tie, etc....just freaking random.

What gives Atlanta???

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. " :wink:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Well, "chow mein" would be derogatory slang for an Asian person. It could not be a real name for an Asian person either, so it would be pretty offensive.

The fact that the guy actually bowed backs this up.

Either he thought you were someone else, he's a complete arse, or he was coc-ed up out of him mind, lol.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've seen your pic in the past, but did not really pay attention. Are you Asian? If so, it was most likely a good ole boy way of being cute. Was it polite, no, but people do weird things. Maybe he has nickname syndrome. Then again, he could have been a racist southerner.

Jason

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
unfortunately, it is sometimes those crazy people that can also pull out a gun and pop you for no reason. the way of the world anymore is to just let it go......

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. " :wink:
Clearly, this is the answer.

Boy, how I used to love that show!

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well living in Buckhead, and riding MARTA at times, I can tell you that he was most likely just wasted out of his mind on whatever his juice is.... and trust me, I have heard and been a part of really really really odd and funny stories on those damn trains

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is laugh it off.... You have given us all a chuckle and as long as you take things like that lightly you will be a happier person. Obviously the guy was a nut case, but at least he was polite about it:skew:

Daviso27

Never been BoM
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
One of the cooks at the Pan Asian rest. At the resort calls me ms. Chow mien... I`ll ask him wtf it means...
Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
39   0   0

What gives Atlanta???

hey WonTon, aren't you supposed to be writing a paper or something?

:grin:

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Wonton that is good.
Ok so the reason it happened is cause you were in HotLanta. A place like no other. Or maybe the dude was hungry. Maybe you smelled like some Chow, mmmm chow.