What's new

Xikar Xi2 vs. Palio cutter

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I am sure this came up before just wanted a few opinions before I went out and purchased my first "real" cutter. Mdwest bombed me one when I first started, it has worked adequately on the cigars I have used it on, but it is starting to dull and I don't mind on my yard-gars. I will be very sad if I manage to kill one of the nice smokes a few brothers have sent my way.

So what do you guys think. If you had to pick one of the above. Which way would you go?

Thanks for your time.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Palio hands down. I got a Xi2 and it broke twice in less than 2 weeks. I got a Palio 3-4 years ago and haven't used another cutter since.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
You'll get about a 60/40 Palio/Xikar response here. Both work you choose. I have 2 Palios and one Xicar. Xicar only gets used when the golf bag is out. Home lounge and car both get the Palios....

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I have both, 3 Palios and one XiKar. Use the Palio 99% of the time, it shaves the cap off perfectly every time with a little practice. I only take out the XiKar when I am going someplace that I think there is a possiblity I might lose it.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I'm one of the ones that prefer the xikar. My palio just doesn't cut as well, it seems to first pinch most cigars when cutting as if its blades were dull. Honestly I think I just got a bad palio and have not used its lifetime warranty to replace it

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
if you can do it right, a knife works. hell, even your teeth or nails! o)

comes down to personally preference at the end. try to find one you can play with for a little, test drive as it were.

(FWIW i'm in the palio camp)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I can't report on, or dispute superiority of, the Palio, as I've never used one. They certainly are popular. I did come by a Xikar X8, and like it very much. I have big, fat thumbs and have paid hell to find cutters that actually have large enough finger holes. (Scissors, too.) I had thought that the pivoting blade type cutters would serve me well, so picked up one of the Colibis, but the action just wasn't to my liking. Breakage isn't a likelihood, as mine is all metal. I'll probably pick up a Palio one of these days, and maybe I'll be a convert then, too. What I really have my eye on these days, though, is the Xikar Ultra lighter/cutter combo.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love my Palio but the blade has chipped twice now and I ONLY use it to cut the ends of cigars so that is a little disappointing. However I just take it back to the shop and get it replaced for free which is nice. I personally hate the feel of the XiKar in your hand vs the way the Palio feels and its mechanism.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I never tried a xikar before but I do own a Palio and like it very much...no complaints...

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I started off with a Xikar and I'm now using a Palio. I like the control it offers and I believe it gives a better cut.

I keep the Xikar as a backup with my travel case.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Have both. Got Xi2 in '07. Used it until this past Feb when spring finally gave up the ghost - I estimate over 5000 cuts. I got a Palio in June of 2010 and used it off and on last couple of years, but always went back to the Xi2. Just felt better in my hands - and in my pocket. The leather case on the Palio is a bit bulky for my pocket -and without the case, I'm afraid the action is a little too loose - I'm always afraid that when I slide my hand in my jeans pocket, I'll put a finger into the open Palio. For the 10 days or so that I shipped the Xi2 back for replacement, I used the Palio exclusively and was reminded how much I miss the Xi.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Palio hands down. I do use my knife quite a bit though, if you sharpen all the time it can serve you as a cutter and work utility.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
You'll get about a 60/40 Palio/Xikar response here. Both work you choose. .
jfire is spot on with this..

nothing wrong with either cutter.. its really just a matter of preference.. both have good blades.. good warranties.. are designed well.. etc..

I prefer the XiKar.. its what I have used almost exclusively for the past few years..

But there is zero wrong with the palio..

I am certain I am in the minority here.. but I picked up a colibri cutter at cfest last month that I REALLY like.. I took it to the lounge and left it in my locker to use there.. you can pick the colibris up on cbid for a song.. ($10-$15).. Im guessing its not going to have the service life of my Xi2.... but.. it gives me an excellent cut.. and I actually like the feel of it in my hand better than the XiKar.. Ive contemplated getting another one to leave in my car (I currently leave a plastic "cheapie" in there..)...

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
mdwest,
That's good to hear. I need a couple of 'spare' cutters. I see that some of the cbid Colibri Grip cutter descriptions call them 'Xikar'. Not sure if that is a typo, or if Xikar is making them for Colibri. Interesting. I've always ignored Colibri anything since I had bad lighter experiences. But if Xikar is making Colibri cutters, there might be opportunities to grab bunches of them for boat, car, golf bag, newb bombs, etc.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
hmmm.. dont know anything about XiKar making cutters for Colibri... but I would be interested to find out if that is the case (or just a typo)...

I agree with you on the lighters.. Ive owned 3x colibri torches... all three died within 12-18 months of purchase...

I wont ever buy another one..

I do have one more in my possession right now.. it was a freebie that got thrown in a stick purchase a few months back.. we'll see how long it lasts...