What's new

YAHHT (Yet Another Humidity Help Thread)

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Last year (during warmer times) I purchased a Cabinet Humidor, the Tower of Power to be exact, and it came with a Cigar Oasis II XL and the extra fans.

At that time the humidor was WAY to humid using the foam block. My guess is that it was on account of the humidor being way underfilled, still a problem sadly, and so I ditched the foam and put KL in the the Oasis.

That worked until we got severe cold in the region. Now despite adding water to the Kitty Litter constantly and putting additional KL through out the cabinet I cannot get the humidity back to where I like it (65%) and I'm not sure what to do. Should I switch back to the foam for the cold season and then switch out to KL in the warmer months?

Any thoughts? Anyone else run into this issue?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
In the winter I use, wait for it, the gel beads like the xikar disks and a boveda. Have to recharge every 3 to 5 weeks. in warmer m0nths i put it in a ziplock so the gel don't dry. since the gel is only active it will constantly try to equalize and the boveda or kl will help keep it at 65% to 69%

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can put a receptacle inside your tower half filled with DW or you can put a wet sponge filled with DW inside a container if you a worried about spilling water inside...the sponge works great and should push your RH up.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I keep my tupperdor in the basement - it remains a pretty constant 64°-67° year-round and, since the laundry room is also in the basement, it doesn't get as dry in the Winter as the rest of the house. Right now I have the Xikar gel beads in it and my hygrometer is keeping it around 68%. I'll swap it out in the Spring with beads for 65% because the outside air will be more humid.

It was reading about 71% a few days ago until I tossed (oops, I mean lovingly placed) a Cuban wheel of 30 sticks that must have been a bit on the dry side because a few hours later it dropped to 68%

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
This is where accumonitor shines IMO. Yep it's a bit pricey, but worth every penny. My house is also dry in the winter, but I still only fill the two water containers every month and a half and I hold 66% year round. Summer time I fill them every 2-3 months. Maybe switch systems.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
This is where accumonitor shines IMO. Yep it's a bit pricey, but worth every penny. My house is also dry in the winter, but I still only fill the two water containers every month and a half and I hold 66% year round. Summer time I fill them every 2-3 months. Maybe switch systems.
Time to start saving my pennies for the accumonitor

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been having this same issue. I use 65% beads but lately I've been fighting to keep it above 60 generally it wants to run about 57-58%. I was thinking of trying some KL, do you just spray it with DW like the beads?

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I've been having this same issue. I use 65% beads but lately I've been fighting to keep it above 60 generally it wants to run about 57-58%. I was thinking of trying some KL, do you just spray it with DW like the beads?
Yep, KL is basically beads - just make sure you get the right kind of KL

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You'll love the Accumonitor if you decide to take the plunge. Basically its the cost of a good box of cigars that will keep all your boxes/singles in perfect shape.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
So having looked a little more closely at the Accumonitor I don't understand how I would be in a different situation. My issue with the Oasis II XL is that, when using the foam and water, I get too much humidity even when the device isn't running. Since the Accumonitor canisters are open wouldn't I run into the same issue?