BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Antarctic Sea Ice for March 1980 and 2010

Extent - Concentration
2010 4.0 million sq km - 2.6 million sq km
1980 3.5 million sq km - 2.0 million sq km

Sea Ice Extent in March 2010 is over 14% greater than in 1980

Sea Ice Concentration in March 2010 is 30% greater than in 1980!
Ooooookay.....you have two data points there, and zero references. Who are you, Al Gore's evil twin?

At least provide us with some data that includes scientific references from respected scientific journals. Like this:

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Thanks! :grin:

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
perhaps. but it appears that "most" number is dwindling as more information is presented. granted some are convinced and will never change their minds. we can never accuse the scientific world of being stubborn now can we?
there are bad doctors, lawyers, policeman etc. there are also bad scientists. the general population has always assumed that all scientists are altruistic for the sake of science, and are to be believed. but, i do think it has been proven, in a general way, that we no longer can accept everything as gospel that comes out of the scientific world. there are agendas. the sad thing is we "commoners" have no way knowing for sure who is legit and who is bending the truth. we have to rely on the experts and assume they are telling us the truth. it is a helpless feeling.....

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
perhaps. but it appears that "most" number is dwindling as more information is presented. granted some are convinced and will never change their minds. we can never accuse the scientific world of being stubborn now can we?
there are bad doctors, lawyers, policeman etc. there are also bad scientists. the general population has always assumed that all scientists are altruistic for the sake of science, and are to be believed. but, i do think it has been proven, in a general way, that we no longer can accept everything as gospel that comes out of the scientific world. there are agendas. the sad thing is we "commoners" have no way knowing for sure who is legit and who is bending the truth. we have to rely on the experts and assume they are telling us the truth. it is a helpless feeling.....
Honestly, didn't read your post. But why exactly do you want to refute global warming, anyways? I don't know or care either way about it; it doesn't change how I think or act. Why does everyone care so much about refuting it? Do you still deny the need for changes in the manner in which we pollute? Or do you think the way we're going is okay? I would have to think the only major reason for refuting it, other than to say one's right, is to lengthen the timetable for change.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
Honestly, didn't read your post. But why exactly do you want to refute global warming, anyways? I don't know or care either way about it; it doesn't change how I think or act. Why does everyone care so much about refuting it? Do you still deny the need for changes in the manner in which we pollute? Or do you think the way we're going is okay? I would have to think the only major reason for refuting it, other than to say one's right, is to lengthen the timetable for change.
Perhaps you should read then. If you did, you would see that most all of us who speak against manmade global warming also believe that we should all be better stewards of the earth. We care about refuting it when the government comes up with things like cap and tax. Something that will have a horrid effect on the economy, especially the middle class, of which I assume you are a member. That's why YOU should care. And I believe you were a little disingenuous in your earlier post that said you didn't care one way or the other. You obviously do!

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Bob, this research has been published in peer-reviewed journals with a very high impact factor (Nature, Science among others). I agree, there's a lot of shady research out there, and it's possible that some may make it's way into these publications ( see: Lancet and autism study), however, it most certainly is not the norm. And to accentuate this, that Lancet article was just one, whereas there are thousands upon thousands of peer-reviewed papers that support man's influence on global warming.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, and just because Al Gore is a big-mouthed hypocrite jackass, it still doesn't change the facts.

Last edited:

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Perhaps you should read then. If you did, you would see that most all of us who speak against manmade global warming also believe that we should all be better stewards of the earth. We care about refuting it when the government comes up with things like cap and tax. Something that will have a horrid effect on the economy, especially the middle class, of which I assume you are a member. That's why YOU should care. And I believe you were a little disingenuous in your earlier post that said you didn't care one way or the other. You obviously do!
No, I simply meant I don't care one way or another if global warming exists. It's existence doesn't change how I feel about pollution or the environment or what needs to be done. I feel our polluting ways should have ended yesterday and everyday that we are not moving towards some goal of cleaning things up, is another day we are harming ourselves. I use an analogy of one's dirty bedroom. You don't clean it or organize or have it in any working order. The state of that room essentially mirrors one's mind. I feel the way we pollute is no different. There's a psychological basis on a global level for the way in which we pollute. "If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't." ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club.

Not trying to be a dick, I just don't understand why emotions flare so much when it comes to global warming. It's such a politicized issue, that no one is willing to compromise. And we're not going to get anywhere without compromise. How would you go about reducing emissions and pollutions from companies without taxes or caps, then? I'm honestly asking. I suppose the only way for this to occur in a free market is an entire cultural shift away from the greed, consumerism, and overconsumption that defines us today. Maybe that's an underlying problem with capitalism. Capitalism does have flaws, though I'm not trying to argue for or against it.

Last edited:

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
That's what our elected officials are for. That's why it gets politicized. Here's a little example. I have a good friend who is an engineer at a coal fired power plant here. They have recently started installing a new scrubber on the back end of the plant, which was mandated by the government. Sounds reasonable. This installation is going to cost over 1 billion dollars. (remember this is a small plant in rural kansas.) you can guess where that cost is going to be passed on to. Oh, and two more things. One, it will make the production LESS efficient. And two, there is NO guarantee how much it is really going to reduce the emissions!! So what now? Solar? Sun doesn't always shine here. Wind? Doesn't always blow here. But we always need power. How about nuke? Try and get the govt to ok that! This is a real world example out my back door.
And I know you're not trying to be a dick. We just all have our opinions. Except Greg, he's a dick!

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
Bob, this research has been published in peer-reviewed journals with a very high impact factor (Nature, Science among others). I agree, there's a lot of shady research out there, and it's possible that some may make it's way into these publications ( see: Lancet and autism study), however, it most certainly is not the norm. And to accentuate this, that Lancet article was just one, whereas there are thousands upon thousands of peer-reviewed papers that support man's influence on global warming.

I don't think it's a conspiracy, and just because Al Gore is a big-mouthed hypocrite jackass, it still doesn't change the facts.
I feel confident that the vast majority of scientific research is what we all hope it is supposed to be. But events like the east Anglia emails have shone some light that not all is on the up and up. And when you have idiots on your side like gore, who needs enemies! Id like to see an open debate of TRUE experts that have no financial gain, and see how it all plays out.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
How would you go about cleaning up our pollution and emissions without the government? It seems like a lose-lose. If they can't regulate it properly and big business won't police itself, are we just screwed? Where is our middle ground may be the best question to ask?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
LOL....because it snows in Michigan, this satisfies your inclination to deny that the world is becoming warmer? Dude, you live in Michigan, if the temperature rose ten degrees in the winter, nobody would notice. :grin:

On a side note, I was out there this past summer, kind of wanted to escape the heat....100 degrees in Grand Blanc. :argh:

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
On a side note, I was out there this past summer, kind of wanted to escape the heat....100 degrees in Grand Blanc. :argh:
Yea...The Mid-West is a bitch anytime of the year. Always has been. But I'll take the snow and humidity over Hurricane's and Earthquates any day.