What's new

You can buy cigars on eBay?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I was looking on eBay the other day for some cigar accessories and stumbled across a couple of ads for cigars, some are real nice Opus X. Anyone ever buy these cigars? When I think of eBay I usually think of someone selling something out of their shed or garage. My concern isn't whether I would get them, I worry about the condition they would show up in. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Joey

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Technically you are buying the bands. These guys are skirting eBay rules because technically you are not supposed to be selling tobacco. Personally I have never bought sticks off eBay as these guys tend not to be BOTL and price gouge at every opportunity.

FuenteSmoker

Il n'y a pas de fumée san
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Pkus its seems that ever seller on there marks them up like crazy...ive bid on a couple and they where removed early

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
They are sold as "collectibles"...for the bands or boxes,, like Jay said.

I have heard of many fake Opus selling on eBay as well.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Be careful. They are selling the bands. If the cigars that come are junk and have not been maintained, are beetle food, etc. you will have no recourse to recoup the money. The bands are what you have purchased, not the cigars.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Agree with all above. There are far better ways to get fair deal on anything available there - from respectable BOTL here and on other forums.

On a different, but only slightly related note.....I have had success (though rare) with Craigslist offerings.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I havet gotten lucky on actual cigars on craigslist yet (but look for them occasionally).. but Ive gotten some great deals on accessories there.. picked up my wineador through CL just last month.. and have picked up everything from desktop humidors to cutters to traveldors, etc there at different times.. almost always for a steal...

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
A buddy of mine (more of an acquaintance) bought a terrible fake box of Siglo VI on eBay. As others have said, You can't dispute the purchase at all if your just paying for a box and bands..

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
A buddy of mine (more of an acquaintance) bought a terrible fake box of Siglo VI on eBay. As others have said, You can't dispute the purchase at all if your just paying for a box and bands..
Couldn't he dispute that the bands were fakes? Or were they real bands placed on fake cigars?

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
The only time I would consider it (and I don't because the mark up is usually astronomical) is if the seller is "selling the box as a collectible item" and the buyer usually states something like "box is completely intact and wrapped in original cellophane. This item has been stored at 70% humidity 70 degrees to prevent would from warping." But even then, still risky

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Couldn't he dispute that the bands were fakes? Or were they real bands placed on fake cigars?
That's a good question. I didn't get too involved, he was someone I'd run into at the cigar lounge by me. I wonder how it works though since its a Cuban product.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well, I'll be the contrarian. I picked up a sealed tin of the Fuente Fuente Opus X Rare 1992 Estate Reserve (Perfexcion) on eBay a couple of weeks ago for $60.00 (including shipping). This is an item that is out of production and pretty well sold out everywhere. The only online retailers I can readily find for this item at this very moment (Cigarsdirect.com and Cigarsupply.com) are both listing it at $100 (plus shipping). Originally, the MSRP was about $55. So who's gouging now? There are deals to be had and if the seller you're looking at does regularly deal in these "collectible bands," you can look at their feedback to see if their customers are satisfied. Your safest bet is with new/sealed merchandise, of course.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
As long as the bands are real, that is all that matters to eBay. They don't allow cigar sales for "cigars", only collectibles.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
You guys are right about auctions ending early. One guy was trying to sell me cigars via back channel. By the time I got back to him, the auction ended early and the cigars were gone.

Thanks for all the replies. I will not be purchasing cigars from any eBay vendors any time soon.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bought some 'bands' from there. Had about 50% were dried out, pieces of crap. The others were so-so. I wouldn't waste my time there, but that's just me.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cigars on Ebay even though hidden with the sales being for bands or memorabilia...ya just gotta see the Red Flags going up everywhere. If a member has to "skirt" the rules and then try to marginalize them to such a degree...do you really want to deal this way? It's so ridiculous because there are a lot of Vendors that sell Opus for good pricing and to take a chance on Ebay to get what you want really is asking for trouble.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well, I just now bought a "sealed tin" of Papas Fritas on eBay for $31 (which includes shipping)... so let's see what happens! (Coincidentally, I see a five-pack of LPPFs just closed on cbid for $46-- so to get those, I'd have had to pay at least $49, plus shipping.) It's a gamble, but it strikes me as a pretty good one. Time will tell!

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Well, I just now bought a "sealed tin" of Papas Fritas on eBay for $31 (which includes shipping)... so let's see what happens! (Coincidentally, I see a five-pack of LPPFs just closed on cbid for $46-- so to get those, I'd have had to pay at least $49, plus shipping.) It's a gamble, but it strikes me as a pretty good one. Time will tell!
I know folks are clamoring for these but they are in stock at a lot of places for less than 22 bucks a tin. With shipping it would've been less than this. The folks on eBay are probably getting them by the box of seven tins from one of the big three, which comes out to be 21.70 a tin with free shipping and then putting them on eBay.