What's new

You know what sucks?

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
As most of you guys know I am a chef and most of my guys are from South America.(all legal) Well my first cook is from el Salvador and he is a stand up dude. He tells me a friend of his went to Cuba And picked me up a box of Cohiba esplendidos. I was thrilled of course. So he has them shipped up with the bands and box tags sperately. He was paranoid and afraid they would get confiscated. He comes in Friday And hands me a envelope and freezer bag full of cigars. I was pumped then I opened the envelope and saw these and now I think he got dupped. I don't have the heart to tell him because he wouldn't take any money. He said they were for all that I have taught him. The worst part is he kept a couple for himself because he never had a real one and wanted to see what all the hype was about. I'm hoping you guys can prove me wrong as I am such a noob on Habanos but I think they a bogus.

Attachments

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
The bands don't look good, is where I will start. I am unfortuneately going to say that they are fakes but the truest way to be sure is to sample one yourself. Or if really questionable slice one open to see what the tobacco look like. Opening it up will also give you a better ability to smell if the tobacco has been properly aged.

Even without the bad bands my first thought on Esplendido's that come through questionable channels is fakes

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...no expert here, but the first thing that jumped out at me were the Cohiba letters being flat printed, not gold embossed raised lettering.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Ultimate authority and resource on Havanas:
http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/index.htm
(look under packaging)

I hate to speculate, because the fakes coming out of Cuba (and elsewhere) are sometimes done very well. Similarly, the bands, warranty seals, etc. are equally good. Also hard to tell by the photos. Check out the website linked above.

Cheers!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The bands don't look good, is where I will start. I am unfortuneately going to say that they are fakes but the truest way to be sure is to sample one yourself. Or if really questionable slice one open to see what the tobacco look like. Opening it up will also give you a better ability to smell if the tobacco has been properly aged.

Even without the bad bands my first thought on Esplendido's that come through questionable channels is fakes
.....x2

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
The bands are fake. There are five rows of white dots, not 5 1/2.. Should I continue.

The important thing is that his heart was in the right place.
Bill thats was the first thing that tipped me off. I have a couple real ones and the bands are noticably different. Well I'll give them to friends that don't really smoke and say they are some sort of ...

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
My next question is do I tell my guy or let him think he hooked me up? I don't wanna hurt his feelings but I want him to know he got fucked.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Ad since he got them in Cuba, they are probably cuban tobacco and could still be decent smokes....time to fire one up.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Ad since he got them in Cuba, they are probably cuban tobacco and could still be decent smokes....time to fire one up.
Agreed...Try one.

I have a fake box of Romeo 4's that are good quality. Not nearly as good as a real one, but better than a lot of crap out there these days!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Andy the only way I would tell him is if you owe him anything for this "kind" gesture? If you feel like you do and you have to have it hanging over your head everyday then I would tell him nicely. This way your friendship will not be affected.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
andy, how much of a cigar smoker is he? if he is not that much of an enthusiast, then he'll never know the difference. i'm sure he feels he has shared something from the heart and that's how you should take it. i don't see where telling him would help anything.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I would at lest try one or cut one open to make sure that they are decent tobacco inside. I have seen fakes that looked fine on the outside but were filled with scrap and garbage on the inside that have made people sick before. Last one I cut open had green uncured tobacco, twine, plastic bag remnants and moldy tobacco in it. Giving them away would turn people off of cigars entirely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
I would at lest try one or cut one open to make sure that they are decent tobacco inside. I have seen fakes that looked fine on the outside but were filled with scrap and garbage on the inside that have made people sick before. Last one I cut open had green uncured tobacco, twine, plastic bag remnants and moldy tobacco in it. Giving them away would turn people off of cigars entirely.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wtf Aaron? Your turning me off cigars for sure with that.:nono: I'm gonna want to xray everyone now. Seriously thank you everyone for the advice and I know I can always count on my brothers for the proper guidance.