What's new

You won't believe what happened yesterday (or maybe you will)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to a local cigar shop and newsstand here in Green Bay (won't say names, but its the only one in Green Bay), and wanted to see if they had any of the top 25 of CA's picks to try (which they didn't, and they didn't even know what they were). Well, I decided to try the RP Decade Toro, and there were some Padron 1964s. I asked for one of those too. The one I got had a wrapper that looked like the texture of paper, so I asked for one of the ones at the other end of the box which looked better. When I was handed that cigar I noticed the wrapper had 5 little holes in it. I said forget it and that there were tobacco beetles in it. The guy just said "huh." So he left it out on the counter, and I bought my RP (which was fine btw). As soon as I left I saw him take the cigar and shove it back into the box.

Also about 5 months ago I bought a single cigar there that looked fine that I wanted to age a little bit. Put it in my humidor and about 3 weeks later I noticed holes in it and 3 beetles in my humidor...

NEVER buying from them again.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
tell him to open the doors to the shop for about 5 minutes.

that should freeze them all and problem solved

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
How ae positive there weren't more beetles? As soon as I saw a beetle infected cigar In my box, I froze everything. Too much money in that box to risk it.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Was the clerk just some employee or was he the owner? Either way, this is bad. Sounds to me like a place worth avoiding at all costs. Also I'd go out of my way to inform local cigar smokers about it...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How ae positive there weren't more beetles? As soon as I saw a beetle infected cigar In my box, I froze everything. Too much money in that box to risk it.
WHen that happened to me I took all my cigars, put them in tupperware containers and put them in the refridgerator for a day, then the freezer for 2 days, then the refridgerator for another day, then in my humidor for a few days. All of those cigars have probably been consumed by now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was the clerk just some employee or was he the owner? Either way, this is bad. Sounds to me like a place worth avoiding at all costs. Also I'd go out of my way to inform local cigar smokers about it...
Employee. The guy should at least have some idea though working at a store that has a walk in humidor. And for him to wait until i was just about out the door to put it back, that's kinda fishy.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
WHen that happened to me I took all my cigars, put them in tupperware containers and put them in the refridgerator for a day, then the freezer for 2 days, then the refridgerator for another day, then in my humidor for a few days. All of those cigars have probably been consumed by now.
Good work!!!

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
If it's the only one in the area, call on the owner & explain the situation to him. I hate 'rat', but jeeze - that employee is gonna ruin the owners entire inventory.

Or just open up your own cigar store since you've identified an area in 'need'...
Simple as that.
haha.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
That is pretty slack, beetles do happen.... but to put it back in the box is crazy. Even if he didn't know much he should have at least put it aside and let the owner/manager check in to it.

Have you considered talking to the owner/manager??. I know it's not your responibility, but if I owned that business I would want to know, that way they can address the problem and deal with the employee.

Rating - 100%
188   0   0
Doesn't Wade work at a/the shop in Green Bay? I frequently don't know what I'm talking about tho...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's about as bad as the shop that use to be in Muskogee, OK. They moved from a really nice location and facility that they leased to an old gas station that they bought. They tried to convert one of the rooms (looked like an old office) into a walk-in but it was nothing more than closed doors, cement brick walls, and an industrial sized humidor. I couldn't believe it when I walked into it. They even had a basket sitting in the middle of the so called humidor with a sign on it that said "We have beetles but are still smokable" (or something to that effect). I shed a quick tear and got the hell out of there. About a month later I went by and they had torn the whole building down.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's the only one in the area, call on the owner & explain the situation to him. I hate 'rat', but jeeze - that employee is gonna ruin the owners entire inventory.

Or just open up your own cigar store since you've identified an area in 'need'...
Simple as that.
haha.
Honestly I've been thinking about it in the future. But I hate where I"m living and want to move soon. ALso with the economy getting a loan would be hard. Plus I'm pretty young. Doubt a bank would give me a loan for starting my own business.