What's new

Your experience with Kristoff cigars?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was interested in the brand and ordered a mixture of sizes and types; Ligero Maduro, Sumatra and Corojo Limitada, basically a torpedo of each size and either a matador or churchill of the others.
Its a nice looking and pre-light, smelling cigar and I was excited. My usual mix is T52's and UF-13's, Oliva V's, Illusiones and Flor de las Anitallas. I enjoyed the torpedo of the Corojo and Sumatra very much. Good construction, flavor etc. Very nice cigars and not crazy priced.
However, the other sizes were very disappointing. I forget which particular cigar it was that I actually put down and stopped smoking after a few minutes because the flavor was just so bad and the draw so difficult. The storage or condition did not seem to be the issue.
I'm wondering if someobody with experience with these cigars can tell me if they've experienced such a disparity between sizes. Also, if you do smoke them, do you have a particular preference on size and type.
I want to try a few more torpedos but don't want to waste time with anything else unless it comes recommended.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I don't have a ton of experience with Kristoff; but I don't recall any of the issues you've mentioned. I smoke mostly Robo/Toro sizes. I recall the Cirollo to be pretty tasty.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Kristoff is a good brand but my first impressions of them when I smoked some was that they desperately need "rest" or they can give you some issues with burn rate...taste and balance. Sizes bring their own type of things....the bigger the RG the less you will taste the wrapper so if you love filler/binder then you will love a big RG. I tend to try Toros when I first try a brand as that gives me a better ratio of wrapper/filler/binder and if I get a good experience then I go from there. Try to give cigars a resting period before diving into them...just like certain foods that get better with a marination process/or wines...cigars benefit greatly with rest contrary to some who would tell you that NC's come already rested. While that may be accurate it doesn't account for the time in getting from a warehouse to your door where temps may be extreme and what that causes in the tobacco where it literally shocks it. Cigars are a plant/tobacco that thrive in certain temps as far as them being stable so keeping them in your humidor for a couple of weeks minimum helps more than you realize.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Kristoff is a good brand but my first impressions of them when I smoked some was that they desperately need "rest" or they can give you some issues with burn rate...taste and balance. Sizes bring their own type of things....the bigger the RG the less you will taste the wrapper so if you love filler/binder then you will love a big RG. I tend to try Toros when I first try a brand as that gives me a better ratio of wrapper/filler/binder and if I get a good experience then I go from there. Try to give cigars a resting period before diving into them...just like certain foods that get better with a marination process/or wines...cigars benefit greatly with rest contrary to some who would tell you that NC's come already rested. While that may be accurate it doesn't account for the time in getting from a warehouse to your door where temps may be extreme and what that causes in the tobacco where it literally shocks it. Cigars are a plant/tobacco that thrive in certain temps as far as them being stable so keeping them in your humidor for a couple of weeks minimum helps more than you realize.
I agree here about being patient. I struggle at times to wait on new exciting purchases and dive right in, but i find that even 2 weeks can make a HUGE difference!

As far as Kristoffs go i have only had the Kristoff Ligero Maduro Corona size. I thought it was in the range of league average. Not great to where im buying more, but not so bad that i wouldn't grab a fiver at the right price on a Cbid or CMonster etc. My palate didn't find a ton of complexity or really distinct flavors. While it had a decent earthy spice to it, it was kind of a one trick pony the whole way. Great while BBQing:)

For comparison, some of my fave NCs in similar price range that i would much rather spend money on are DPG Blue(especially the lance), Oliva Melanio Robusto(slightly higher price, but $6 per on certain sites), a few Illusiones in that range, and Oliva V and O that can be had much cheaper and are better IMO.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All good points. I should note that the torpedos were smoked within the first week of getting them. The larger sizes were in the humi for at least 10 days. I don't think it was the rest in these cases. Also, this goes back to May when the temps were not as extreme.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
10 days isn't really 'rest'

Jfire is right, you gotta lay those guys down for months... and if you were having draw issues with the torpedos, did you try to cut them again to open them up some more? A angled (aka Dickman) cut can often times open up tough-drawing torpedo.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jfire is right, you gotta lay those guys down for months... and if you were having draw issues with the torpedos, did you try to cut them again to open them up some more? A angled (aka Dickman) cut can often times open up tough-drawing torpedo.
Torpedoes smoked well and I enjoyed them. It was the larger sizes that had the issues. Draw was not horrible but not near the perfect output I get with a t52 toro.
I think we're all guilty of smoking a new cigar within a few days after getting them. I can understand if its not 100% at this point but in this case it was plain bad in several respects. A few days in transit should not make a cigar unsmokable for months. Either way, I wouldn't try the larger sizes again anyway....but back to the crux of the thread....looking for those with experience with the manufacturer to summarize a few different types.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I was interested in the brand and ordered a mixture of sizes and types; Ligero Maduro, Sumatra and Corojo Limitada, basically a torpedo of each size and either a matador or churchill of the others.
Its a nice looking and pre-light, smelling cigar and I was excited. My usual mix is T52's and UF-13's, Oliva V's, Illusiones and Flor de las Anitallas. I enjoyed the torpedo of the Corojo and Sumatra very much. Good construction, flavor etc. Very nice cigars and not crazy priced.
However, the other sizes were very disappointing. I forget which particular cigar it was that I actually put down and stopped smoking after a few minutes because the flavor was just so bad and the draw so difficult. The storage or condition did not seem to be the issue.
I'm wondering if someobody with experience with these cigars can tell me if they've experienced such a disparity between sizes. Also, if you do smoke them, do you have a particular preference on size and type.
I want to try a few more torpedos but don't want to waste time with anything else unless it comes recommended.
Similar experiences. Sometimes a cigar just isn't what its cracked up to be or just is not for you. Meh.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
For a while, the Kristoff Criollo Corona was my go to cigar: oily wrappers, good draw, and great burn time. I've only had 1 Sumatra Corona, and that damn thing was SPEWING smoke for 45 minutes.

I'm a fan of the brand, though they can be one trick ponies as Chefboy said. The price is right, and they're a nice enough curveball for me to keep a handful of.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i have had a couple that truly brought a smile to my face. and a couple i've MU'd at 1" of burn. at the same time, i know some guys really enjoy them. such is life.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

Torpedoes smoked well and I enjoyed them. It was the larger sizes that had the issues. Draw was not horrible but not near the perfect output I get with a t52 toro.
I think we're all guilty of smoking a new cigar within a few days after getting them. I can understand if its not 100% at this point but in this case it was plain bad in several respects. A few days in transit should not make a cigar unsmokable for months. Either way, I wouldn't try the larger sizes again anyway....but back to the crux of the thread....looking for those with experience with the manufacturer to summarize a few different types.
I think you may be missing a few of the finer points to what others are getting at here, and I just want to help brother.

No one is actually advocating a rest period to combat the negative effects of transit - some cigars are great right away, and others are better with age. The Kirstoffs I have had were a little older than 10 days, and I remember liking them but not really wanting to get into them because I knew they would take a few months, to a few years, of downtime before they were similar to what I had.

Then, I think you are going to find that no too many other cigars will put off smoke like a Liga... Those things are like Chimneys.

Ultimately though, CWS is right. Sometimes a cigar isn't what it is cracked up to be, or just not for you...

EHV

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good points made. I enjoy the KLM Matador. Flavor has been consistent in my experiences however construction has been hit and miss. I had one stick that looked to be punched with a draw tool at least 5 times after it was rolled and still didn't help. The KLM Lance is good as well. All of my Kristoffs sit for around six months or more before I smoke them. Not a set in stone habit, just a way of keeping things new and interesting for me. It may not be your cup of tea, but that's also the beauty of choices in this hobby. Hopefully you find a KLM that turns your opinion.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Ive enjoyed exactly half the Kristoffs ive tried. Half were bad enough to ditch early due mostly to burn/draw issues, the others nailed it. Just received a Kristoff sampler a week or two ago, will be asking them the weekend of the 20th. 3 days trackside ill get through all of em.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
His cigars benefit from 6-12 months rest In a humi.
I totally agree but that's just an opinion borne out of ones own experience and tastes. RG is also a factor when you consider things....a lot of people love Lanceros and my thinking is it's because this size tends to be an almost perfect ratio of wrapper/filler/binder and it doesn't take a whole lot of time for it to balance out. A lancero is pretty much ready after the transition period from the shipping aspect....I have smoked lanceros ROTT and have to admit that I have not ever run into any issues with any brand. I just prefer a larger RG and am willing to wait as I have more cigars than I can smoke.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've tried several and only liked the Criollo, and only when fresh. So I could see where they may just not be for you.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm a big fan of the Ligero Criollo and Ligero Maduro. I don't care for the Sumatra at all. I find the non-ligero versions somewhat mild. Good for first thing in the morning, but too light in flavor for later in the day. I only smoke the robs, and have not had any of the problems you experienced, nor have I had the urge to toss one (except the Sumatra).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The kristoff 685 Woodlawn is in my top 5, the galerones intensivo is in my top ten & the ceniza de Plata is badass also. Other than that I stocked up on the criollo coronas before they were discontinued. Love em

AOTL

Asian Of The Leaf
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've personally only had a couple of Kristoff cigars and didn't really run into any burn problems. Flavor profiles were good but my overall impression of the brand is that they tend to be on the lighter side of cigars. Not really strong when it comes to the strength and flavors are subtle.