What's new

Your Favorite Cigar for First-Timers?

Alaska_Man

Occasional Puffer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of non-smoking friends who are not aversed to it or who are somewhat interested.

My first smoke was an Arturo Fuente Curly Head. Though I now recognize this as not a great cigar, it's not awful by any means. And for a first-timer it's great--nice size, mild. A welcoming cigar.

Any other suggestions of a good "first" cigar? Mind you, I don't think a "good first" is the same thing as a "good cigar"--in fact, the fullness of what I would call a "good cigar" would probably have turned me off to them entirely had it been my first try.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Try any Fuente, Padron x000, Olivas, and try anything else that appeals to you. There is only one way to find out what you like.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I think that mild to medium toranos is a good starter. I usually take 3 or 4 of these out with me on the boat when I know there may be people joining us who normally do not smoke. They normally get good reviews due to their creamy taste and lack of spice, but they are between $4-6 a stick. There are definitely more cost effective solutions out there.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I think that mild to medium toranos is a good starter. I usually take 3 or 4 of these out with me on the boat when I know there may be people joining us who normally do not smoke. They normally get good reviews due to their creamy taste and lack of spice, but they are between $4-6 a stick. There are definitely more cost effective solutions out there.
I agree with the toranos. Try the 1916 torano its a smooth and good tasting torpedo.:razz:

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I find I get better resulsts not giving mild smokes to new people. Not enough flavour for someone who doesn't know what to expect. My go to cigar for new people has been the Petite Edmundo for a bit now.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Davidoff is my go to for a new smoker, expensive, but mild and delicious.

It seems that new smokers often like CAO golds, 5 vegas golds, and Macanudo golds, must be something with gold...

They also seem to like the regular fuente line, and 858s. I gave out 858s to many a novice smoker for my sons birth and most enjoyed them.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Good answers above for sure. I agree with the Fuente products like a Hemingway Classic and the Padron maduro sticks like the 3000 or 2000. Also the Cabaiguan robusto extra are superb, great full flavor and are medium strength.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great answers so far. I would go for something inexpensive, but decent quality. I second any of the RyJ Connecticut mentions and would add Oliva Serie G, any size. Keep it mild.

If your friends have never smoked a cigar, I would suggest teaching them as they smoke. I know that this is probably a given, but if you have any reservations, scratch them. Even if your friends feel that they can do it themselves or feel you're being overbearing, they will appreciate a well cut, well lit and well smoked cigar, much more than one that smokes hot and bitter and falls apart in their mouth.

Bear

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Oliva G, Casa Torano, Gispert, Perdomo Lot 23, any RyJ, RP Connecticut, Montesino, HDM Dark Sumatra, Don Tomas, Sancho Panza, La Campina. Those are a few I can think of that won't turn a new smoker green and won't hurt the pocketbook if the newbie decides he doesn't like it and tosses it.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I was thinking more along the lines of Perdomo lot 23, or for the real occasional smoker even the Fresco. Those types of cigars even though inexpensive, are well constructed and taste good, they are mild and yet satisfying.

Gibbleguts- petite edmundo for a starter stick for friends huh, Love it. Just love it!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a box of Macanudo on closeout a while back for this exact purpose. Everyone has heard of a Macanudo, so they think you are handing them something special. And they are so mild even a first timer is not overwhelmed.