What's new

Your first Opus X.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Ok, did a little digging and did not find it, so what the heck. Anyone care to share the story of the first Opus X cigar they smoked?

I purchased mine a few months before my 21st birthday in college. Did not have much money, and felt 12 bucks was a lot on a cigar at that time, however it was the first time I actually came across them in a cigar shop. I regret now not writing down which it was or taking notes. On my 21st birthday in 2001, I fired that bad boy up along with a Jack Daniels on the rocks, living in Tennessee and smoked it. It kicked my ass back then, but loved every minute of it. Perfect evening then!

Wknd.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Smoked my first one on a nice day that turned terrible as soon as I lit it, it went out like 5 times, burned uneven, the band ripped off.... Not a great experience to say the least...

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
My first Opus X came from Twenty5 via a wishlist. It was very good, but I had been smoking Tats for a while, so I was not overly impressed!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
first one at Casa Fuente, paid way too much ( I know , I know...) and drank way too many mojitos. I was very underwhelmed, I was expecting some more much from the hype. Smoked another before I left and it was same as the first, there are other cigars that are better and better priced. illusiones and Tats come to mind.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
May 23rd 1998. I remember because it was after my daughters 1st birthday and back then they were freaking impossible to find. I bought a robusto from the Tinder Box at South Coast Plaza (About $30 bucks), a few months before. It lived up to the hype and I paired it with a bottle of Moet Chandon Brut Imperial. All was right with the world that night...:yes:

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Had my 1st in 05 at the Big Smoke in Vegas (yes paid the big $)....Didn't like or enjoy it then, Have tried all of them Now, It is a great cigar......

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Christmas Day, many years ago. Had two that i got at a Big Smoke for a CIgar Family donation. My son and I sat on folding chairs in the garage after a huge roast beef dinner and fired these up. Strong, full of flavor. We were both hooked.

WARDOGG

Crusher of Hopes & Dreams
Rating - 100%
10   0   2
Oh man, Mine was May 27, 2001!!! I believe it was FF. It was a pure slice a heaven! It should've been for the price I paid, $65!!!! I know... I know!! $65!!! There's a back story trust me. I posted the original account of this on another board and here it is. The story begins May 26, 2001.

What's going on everybody. I'm in Georgia working my tail off. The Academy is cool but it's harder than all hell. Oh well, you gota do what you gota do.

Man, I went into Brunswick today and found a cigar shop in the mall. I was stoked. I went in and they were having a smoke off with Arturo Fuentes. I was even more stoked. So I walk in and just out of curiosity I asked if they had any Opus X. They refer me to the owner. The owner kinda of smirks walks by me and goes to another guy, who I later find out is supposedly a Fuente Rep. He tells the Rep this: "can you explain to this kid, that Opus X are $95 and a minimum of $65".

I was pissed, so I walked up and interrupted them and told them that I know how much they cost and all I wanted to know was if they carried any. It kinda surprised them but to no avail. He still treated me like I was a two year old. It didn't matter that I proved I knew what the hell a cigar was let alone an OpusX. The owner finally relented and invited me into the back room and showed me his Opus stash. I had a good thirty minute conversation with the guy about them and Fuente in general. Then I didn't buy a damn thing and walked out!! Oh well, I'll probably break down and go back tomorrow and buy something, I've been dying for a cigar. It just irritated the crap out of me the way he treated me!
As you can figure I went in the next day and bought one...just one. Later that day on the other board I was contacted by Fuente and they inquired about the supposed "rep". A week later, I get another message from Fuente saying they yanked the dealers authorized rep license and that the "rep" didn't work for them!!

Two weeks after that I went into the shop again to pick up some Hoyo de Monterrey's. The shop owner recognized me and literally kissed my ass. He kept asking me who I worked for, who I knew and that he was sorry for the "misunderstanding" a few weeks back. It was hilarious. Need less say, every time I went in after that I was treated like royalty and all my sticks were at MSRP or less!! :cbig:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Opus X was the XXX vitola and smoked it at my friend/ neighbors grad party. It was a disappointing experience as it burned hot and uneveningly, as well as tasted only ok. I have smoked 2 more Opus X's since then and found them to be amazing only if you age them for a long time. Both opus X's I smoked were blooming and aged for 2 years in my humidor. My friends and I find them to be very inconsistent if you don't age them for awhile.

A better cigar for less money is any Tatuaje though

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I smoked my first one, in 2007. I purchased it in 2004 to celebrate our new home and never got around to smoking it. I smoked it and can say that I find that the Lito Chisel is a comparable cigar at a lower price point.

I have several in my humi (Beli, Churchill and Robusto) which I am aging in hopes that they live up to the hype.

Last edited:

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Way back when they first came out and were impossible to get on the Left Coast, I was at a convention in Philly and one of my suppliers took us out to dinner. The bar had a high-boy humi and at the very top were the Opus. The supplier treated us to one and I couldn't get over the fact that he paid $180 bucks for three corona sized, no age, NC cigars. I remember it was a very good cigar but kept thinking $60. Then I remembered what an old timer told me about the cost of a Davi when I asked if it was worth it. He smiled and said " Son I ain't sure it's worth it but thats what it cost to smoke one." In that regard the Opus was worth every penny because none of my friends back west had ever tried one and it didn't cost me a dime.