What's new

Your latest pipe/pipe tobacco purchase thread....

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Me too I'm at that point to open or not too open, should I jar everything or leave tins as is, such a quandry
I read that if you ensure your jar is clean and sterilized, you leave very little air space at the top, and then dip the top in paraffin wax, it will last just as long as if it was still in the vacuum-sealed tin (assuming it's stored out of the sun and in a cool location). Plus, you have the added-value of being able to visually check on it.

Is this accurate? If so, I have a few tins to do that to.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I read that if you ensure your jar is clean and sterilized, you leave very little air space at the top, and then dip the top in paraffin wax, it will last just as long as if it was still in the vacuum-sealed tin (assuming it's stored out of the sun and in a cool location). Plus, you have the added-value of being able to visually check on it.

Seems a bit over the top for me. I was given a few mason jars that were hand sealed without vaccuum when I first got into piping. They were a few years old, and there weren't any issues with moisture content or fermenting. If you want to get a bit sassy and put some vaccuum in them, just sit the mason jars in warm (not boiling) water for a couple minutes before sealing.

Jarring that tin after it has been as it is for the last 20 years probably ain't gonna do too much to it. Pop that tab and smoke it! I'm not one for nostalgia. :skew:

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

Seems a bit over the top for me. I was given a few mason jars that were hand sealed without vaccuum when I first got into piping. They were a few years old, and there weren't any issues with moisture content or fermenting. If you want to get a bit sassy and put some vaccuum in them, just sit the mason jars in warm (not boiling) water for a couple minutes before sealing.

Jarring that tin after it has been as it is for the last 20 years probably ain't gonna do too much to it. Pop that tab and smoke it! I'm not one for nostalgia. :skew:
It does sound a bit... OCD. But, as a home brewer, I've become so accustomed to sterilizing and going over the top with cleanliness that it also didn't sound unreasonable. Glad to know. I could also pull out my pressure canner if I really wanted to get that vacuum seal going LOL

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It does sound a bit... OCD. But, as a home brewer, I've become so accustomed to sterilizing and going over the top with cleanliness that it also didn't sound unreasonable. Glad to know. I could also pull out my pressure canner if I really wanted to get that vacuum seal going LOL
It seems OTT to me. You can visually inspect jars by looking at the button on top. Also, giving the ring another turn after the kids have seated themselves does the trick.

Sanitizing is sufficient unless sterilizing makes you feel better. FWIW I start with new jars and never reuse the lids.