What's new

Your opinion on buying cigar futures.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I have noticed a new marketing technique, or at least new to me, selling futures of upcoming cigar releases. What ya think?

Last edited:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
If you think you will have interest in that cigar, especially if there has been any good reviews about them already, it's a no-brainer to me to buy at the cheapest price. I'm sure you can find them down the road at a decent price from some of those initial buyers selling some of their stock, but that's a gamble.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Just marketing. Since we only have last year to go off, prices are lower now than futures were at the time, I believe. Plus it goes to show how much markup and price fixing is involved in the industry

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Saw this last year and my preference is to try it first myself and if I like/love it then I might be interested in trying to get them for a good price. As far as buying something without trying it first...I suppose there is a market for that.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Everybody that buys limited release, etc from Tatuaje and Viaje buy blind all the time. I like the idea of the futures thing, but only because I smoked this years release already and enjoyed it, so it was a no brainer.

Where is the poll since this is in the polls section?

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
If this is making its way to cigars, it may be indicative of the start of the next cigar boom... although I say that without a firm grasp on currently supply/sales numbers.

The reason for the statement, though, is that futures have been in play in the beverage space... wine obviously, and more recently single malt (on a larger scale)... so it makes sense that this would eventually work its way into cigars.

If the market supports it, that only means there is more money flowing into cigars, which means more competition for better cigars in the time to come.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Just marketing. Since we only have last year to go off, prices are lower now than futures were at the time, I believe. Plus it goes to show how much markup and price fixing is involved in the industry
The markup in this industry is pretty similar to many others. I lowered my markup to offer the product to the consumers at an early pay discount. Last year the cigars didn't sell at the early pay discount. I just offered them at a lower price to introduce the brand.

I'm not sure where price fixing comes into play. Some retailers that bought big early are going to be offering the lower retail for as long as they have inventory. Some might even hold the early buy and sell them for the high suggested retail. It's the retailers choice.

Futures have been around forever in the wine world. Companies sell their inventory to retailers early so they can be liquid. Basically asking the retailers to invest in their company for a short time. In turn those retailers can either offer their customers the lowest price or make huge margins by charging a higher price.

I buy wine futures all the time and most of the time I gain nothing but sometimes I secure something that would have never made it to the shelf.

Also, Lew Rothman sold Cuban cigar futures years ago. So they could be flush with money to have first dibs on Cubans if the embargo ever lifted.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Great idea. I think the only way it will really work going forward is if the price is right and the initial few releases really perform. My opinion on the recent futures offered is that the price is too high, especially with the perceived poor performance of the last release.