What's new

Your opinion on Gurkha Cigars

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys,

I have never even smoked a Gurkha cigar but I have seen Bryan Glynn of Cigar Obsession review quite a few of them. Reading many reviews both online as well as comments to Brian's videos, I see a lot of negativity regarding these cigars. I know that many of their sticks are sold for enormous premiums. Since I can't speak for tham myself, I would love to hear y'alls opinions. Why is it that they get such a bad rap?

John,
CC

P.S. I myself have even been tempted by their Triple Ligero sticks.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I know that many of their sticks are sold for enormous premiums. Since I can't speak for tham myself, I would love to hear y'alls opinions. Why is it that they get such a bad rap?
Not "sold" at ridiculous premiums, more commonly "marketed" at ridiculous premiums.
They're mostly msrpd at ridiculous prices so they look like an amazing value all the time, and they make extra profit off the few sucker who buy them at the higher price. A lot of people's negative thoughts on them are largely because of that.

Also, their quality and consistency track record is spotty at best, and most people just aren't that impressed with the blends.
To me, The centurion was one of the worst smokes I've ever had, but I know there's a couple people who like them.
But they do have a whole lot of different lines. I've seen several people speak positively of the "cellar reserve" and at least one other line.

Also, I've heard that they are responsible for Spanish Galleon, and I've liked both of those that I've had.
The thing is, there's just so many great, blends, brands, and blenders that make excellent stuff that can be gotten at reasonable prices, most of us I think would rather spend our money on them than what mostly amounts to flashy mediocrity.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
There are a few sticks worth smoking but i feel that it is because of the shady business practices that gurkah gets a bad name. That and trying to maintain the qa on 7 million lines is impossible. I think a good portion of their cigars are aquired from other sources to save on dollars as well where they have absoultly no control over qa

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
when you can buy them online for $3.00 each, you realize the value they represent.
when the owner of the company tried to blow smoke up the world's ass about how superior and world class these $3.00 sticks are, it makes people
lose respect .
I have smoked several, never had one make me vomit, and never smoked one I would buy, even for $3.00
Trying to charge hundreds or even thousands for a single cigar is absurd,and I do not support absurd cigar companies.
Padron,Perdomo,Camacho,Fuentes,Fernandez,Oliva,and others,work hard to produce quality.Support these makers......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one Gurka, the Gurka Status, i wrote in my cigar log one word for it "Garbage" i ordered a sampler yesterday from CI that included two Gurka Yakuzas which are sold for 25 bucks a stick, with the sampler they were 3 bucks so just goes along with the fact that their msrp is just to draw attention. Most of the Yakuzas reviews seem like they not going to impress me but for 3 bucks i dont mind trying and there were some other sticks in the sampler that I was actually interested in.

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not "sold" at ridiculous premiums, more commonly "marketed" at ridiculous premiums.
They're mostly msrpd at ridiculous prices so they look like an amazing value all the time, and they make extra profit off the few sucker who buy them at the higher price. A lot of people's negative thoughts on them are largely because of that.

Also, their quality and consistency track record is spotty at best, and most people just aren't that impressed with the blends.
To me, The centurion was one of the worst smokes I've ever had, but I know there's a couple people who like them.
But they do have a whole lot of different lines. I've seen several people speak positively of the "cellar reserve" and at least one other line.

Also, I've heard that they are responsible for Spanish Galleon, and I've liked both of those that I've had.
The thing is, there's just so many great, blends, brands, and blenders that make excellent stuff that can be gotten at reasonable prices, most of us I think would rather spend our money on them than what mostly amounts to flashy mediocrity.
Good point. It makes sense now why they can be had for so cheap with such a high MSRP. I mostly have seen their ads in Field and Stream and other publications. Perhaps to dupe novice smokers.

Trying to charge hundreds or even thousands for a single cigar is absurd,and I do not support absurd cigar companies.
Padron,Perdomo,Camacho,Fuentes,Fernandez,Oliva,and others,work hard to produce quality.Support these makers......
I'll do just that. Also not to mention I don't like smoking garbage or disappointing sticks. Thanks everyone for enlightening me before I got ripped off. I've had my share of budget sticks when I was a newbie but now I really want an experience every time I light up a cigar. That's why I smoke cigars to begin with. If I just need nicotine I'll smoke a cig. And if I had hundreds or even thousands of dollars to spend, I would take a trip to Cuba and buy some boxes of authentic puros. Lol.

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. I will continue avoiding Gurkha at all costs. I hate smoking a stick and being disappointed.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was gifted a couple of Gurkas at an event and have to admit that they where decent smokes. Everything else said about them is true, marketing, quality control issues etc but we all have different pallets so if you find one you like, enjoy it. Just don't pay MSRP.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It pains me to say I’ve smoked a handful of Gurkha’s. They were all gifted to me by a buddy of mine who really enjoys them. And that’s ok if he does. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

As much as I might joke, I’ll never buy any Gurkha’s for myself though. They’re just that bad. Plus there’s so many other brands that are so much better out there.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It pains me to say I’ve smoked a handful of Gurkha’s. They were all gifted to me by a buddy of mine who really enjoys them. And that’s ok if he does. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

As much as I might joke, I’ll never buy any Gurkha’s for myself though. They’re just that bad. Plus there’s so many other brands that are so much better out there.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk
Don't let Chris Lie to you, people! He LOVES Gurkhas! Nothing would make him happier than to get a huge box of gurkhas for Christmas... ;)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Let me be perfectly honest, and truthful with MHO.

If you like a cigar you have smoked, and the Cigar Snobs, Caigar Rag Writers say it is JUNK, or JUST S**T.

If you personally enjoy the stick, then it is good for your palate.

Smoke with you like, not what someone say you SHOULD like.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the seen the same hate for Gurkha. Personally, I have like the ones I smoked. I got a 10 pack for cheap online to try. The best smoke ever? Nah, but I did enjoy it.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two I dislike a little more than their other offerings that are both under $7 a piece aging for at least two years to see if anything works out in there favor. If they are still anything like the third one they will be tossed. About 18 months to go so we shall see....
I never met a Ghurka I would buy twice and regretted every one I have bought thus far.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I will not smoke them on a plane, I will not smoke them on a train
I will not smoke them with a bear, I won't smoke them in my underwear
Do not smoke them if you can, do not smoke them, Sam I Am.
That is very funny................:cigar:

We should all feel sorry for the Cigar Representative who has to try, and sell more Gurkha's..................:p