What's new

Zacapa 23 question

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I want to venture out into the world of rums. I went and bought myself a bottle of Zacapa 23. GOOD LAWD this is good stuff. Problem is that it cost me 45 bucks. I can't keep up that habit.

I knew I shouldn't have started with a nice bottle. Is there anything similar to this that's a bit cheaper? This is so smooth, so sweet, so dark and perfect. It's everything I thought I wanted in a rum! Didn't think it existed. Not much experience with rum but I've tried the cheapies, and I tried Havana Club Anejo.

This Zacapa makes that HC taste like cat piss.

I saw a bottle of Mount Gay Exile I believe it was called for 20 bucks. Does that compare to this Zacapa.

I'm in heaven right now, I can only imagine how well this will go with a cigar. Alas, it's only 30 degrees out and it's past midnight, so that's not happening tonight.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I agree with the comparsion with Zacapa Vs the HC. Zacapa wins hands down.

I have had the Mount Gay although it's been a few years. No comparison whatsoever, IMHO.

Ron Centenario 25 year in excellent, but it's in the same price range so that's no help.

Centenario Fundacion 20 year is about 10 bucks cheaper, an pretty good.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for, and I don't think you'll find aything that compares in the $25 range.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with the comparsion with Zacapa Vs the HC. Zacapa wins hands down.

I have had the Mount Gay although it's been a few years. No comparison whatsoever, IMHO.

Ron Centenario 25 year in excellent, but it's in the same price range so that's no help.

Centenario Fundacion 20 year is about 10 bucks cheaper, an pretty good.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for, and I don't think you'll find aything that compares in the $25 range.
Thanks for the reply man. This is what I was afraid of. I suppose I'll just drink less, because this stuff is absolutely phenomenal.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Pyrat and Kraken are very sweet as is Zaya. If you have a total wine near you check out the Kaniche XO. Its from Barbados and when it goes on sale here in WA its 29.99 a bottle. Its really a fantastic rum along the lines of Zacapa without the pocket book hit.
Also check out Kirk & Sweeny. A little smoother than Zacapa but less sweet.
If you are lucky enough to get access to Diplomatico grab the green bottle... rum finished in Bourbon barrel then scotch barrel.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks guys! No total wine but there are similar places around here I can check out. I really enjoy that sweetness, It goes great by itself and I bet it's even better with a cigar!

So Pyrat and Kraken are sweet like the Zacapa 23? If so, what makes them "lesser" quality as far as taste goes? I'm very new to rums and really all I have to go on is HC and Zacapa 23 now.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Legendario "Elixir de Cuba" is possibly my favorite spirit to pair with a cigar. 68 proof, tastes somewhere between a rum and a liqueur. I'm told it is much less expensive than Zacapa....in Cuba. I was fortunate enough to be gifted a bottle by a friend from Europe.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thanks guys! No total wine but there are similar places around here I can check out. I really enjoy that sweetness, It goes great by itself and I bet it's even better with a cigar!

So Pyrat and Kraken are sweet like the Zacapa 23? If so, what makes them "lesser" quality as far as taste goes? I'm very new to rums and really all I have to go on is HC and Zacapa 23 now.
They are way sweeter than zacapa. The good news is that you can get those little sampler bottles of both to taste them first.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
El Dorado 12 year runs me about 25 a bottle. It is hard to beat for that price.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Legendario "Elixir de Cuba" is possibly my favorite spirit to pair with a cigar. 68 proof, tastes somewhere between a rum and a liqueur. I'm told it is much less expensive than Zacapa....in Cuba. I was fortunate enough to be gifted a bottle by a friend from Europe.
Looks awesome! But I'm looking for something I can actually purchase :)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You can't go wrong with the Zacapa. You pay a little more but the quality is on point. Shop around for best prices locally to you. By my girlfriend's house a bottle went for almost $65 and by my house it was roughly $45-$50. So that would be my recommendation. Or heck, check it out online and see if it can ship and buy a case if the budget allows you.