What's new

Ziplock Bag Storage

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Guess I should have added. Is there anything stopping it from being a regular storage method? I'm guessing you can keep the sticks in there as long as you want as long as the Boveda is still good.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
StogieNinja said having the boveda resting directly on your sticks could possibly cause burn issues.

In that regard, for long term storage, it could be problematic.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering the same thing, I've got mine in ziplocs now until my new humi is ready to go, bout another week. Had acrylic jar humidors and recently found out that my sticks were way too humid and most got all spongy. Hopefully I'll be able to save a few of the good ones.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I don't think anything is wrong with that method. Granted Tupperware would probably be better suited, but I use ziplock bags with a boveda when I have to and have not had any issues.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ziploc bags aren't meant for long term storage...yes, they will work for short term but don't let your cigars rest in those bags for a long time even if you have a boveda or pillow in there. I've seen where the large ziplocs are used for storage of the cigars and then another small ziploc with the boveda/pillow inside of the smaller ziploc...but that isn't zipped. Air out the large bag as least once a week to get some fresh air in there.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
FWIW i accidentally lost a box of cigars (PDR's?) for six months. ziplock around the box, boveda in the bag. they were fine. couple important bits:

-use freezer grade, they are denser and less gass permeable
-multiple bags are better: someone (and i wish i knew who, but it ain't my research, to be fair) said that the sealing success ratio to number of bags used is geometric, not arithmetic, i.e. two bags is better than double, three may be closer to four or five times as effective, etc.
-myself would store Ina cigar box, THEN bag, as the box will always help stabilize the humidity. and also, you know, getting squooshed and stuff.
-most of the above goes out the door if you are opening it regularly: in that case, go with "yes for short term.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What's the point of airing the bags out?
You don't want your cigars sealed for very long as it can promote mold...the same with tupperware. Tupperadors need to have fresh air at the very least twice a week. Humidors are by nature a porous material so having to "air" them out isn't necessary but most of us are in and out of our humidors or tupperadors. If you use tupperware for long term storage then it's necessary to introduce fresh air into them.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What I did is put the cigars in a ziplock and then put them in a tupperwear container.

I figured putting the boveda in the ziplock with the cigars would be better.
You don't need to put cigars into a ziploc if you're just going to put them into a tupperador...not really necessary. As long as the bovedas or pillows aren't touching the cigars directly you can just put them into the humidor...lay them on a paper towel or on the cello'd cigar.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Ive always been told that there is no problem laying the Bovedas right on the sticks. This thread says otherwise. I have bovedas toughing my sticks right now is that no good?

Speedbump

BoM June '10
Rating - 100%
537   0   0
Ive always been told that there is no problem laying the Bovedas right on the sticks. This thread says otherwise. I have bovedas toughing my sticks right now is that no good?
As stated before there is no issue with boveda touching cigars

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Not that he needs my support cause Speedy knows his cigar stuff, but I've had bovedas in my travel humis close to/touching/on/around and have had no problems. Sometimes they've been there for weeks and dare I say months.

Speedbump

BoM June '10
Rating - 100%
537   0   0
Not that he needs my support cause Speedy knows his cigar stuff, but I've had bovedas in my travel humis close to/touching/on/around and have had no problems. Sometimes they've been there for weeks and dare I say months.
Rev is correct in the right humidity a single boveda can last up to months and not adversely affect your cigars

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
My experience and the experience of others that I have witnessed:
Bovedas can be in direct contact (the only way this could be an issue is if there is some sort if malfunction/leak with the pack) I have a big pack on each shelf in my humi directly on the sticks to just help supplement the beads and they are also just thrown in traveler humi in with the sticks and sometimes sticks get left in there for weeks/months with no problem.
Ziplocks are the same as Tupperware are the same as coolers are the same as wine fridges they are all plastic air tight solutions that without circulation/fresh air/vent can potentially be a recipe for mold.

That being said, a ziplock is a less "sturdy" method of storage and has potential for more problems to arise: poor closure, tears, etc.