What's new

2014 BOTL Pipe of the Year

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Yes, you read that right!
For the first time in the history of BOTL, we are creating an official BOTL Pipe!
The pipe design will be a group effort, and all the design elements will be chosen by YOU, the BOTL membership!
Bookmark this thread and check back often to keep up with all that is going on with the pipe design and subsequent build.

Pipe Planning Polls:
2014 BOTL Pipe - SHAPE POLL CLOSED - Outcome: Poker
2014 BOTL Pipe - FINISH POLL CLOSED - Outcome: Smooth
2014 BOTL Pipe - POKER TYPE POLL CLOSED - Outcome: Cherrywood
2014 BOTL Pipe - STEM BIT TYPE CLOSED - Outcome: Saddle
2014 BOTL Pipe - STAIN COLOR POLL CLOSED - Outcome: Light Tan
2014 BOTL Pipe - STEM COLOR TYPE POLL CLOSED - Outcome: Marbled/Mottled Color (in black)
2014 BOTL Pipe - STEM COLOR POLL CLOSED - Outcome: Browns/Tans or Blue, marbled/mottled in black
2014 BOTL Pipe - STEM COLOR POLL (FINAL) CLOSED - Outcome: Sand
2014 BOTL Pipe - BASE ANGLE POLL CLOSED - Outcome: Reduce the angle
These will run for two days, each.
Don't miss your chance!

EDIT:
The finished product:

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
All 24 pipes have been spoken for.
(each pipe will likely take 8-12 hours to build, so there will only be time for so many - current plan is to only produce 24 pipes)

Cody will now stop taking payments and I will start a wait-list based on order of PM received.
If any claimed spot falls through, or if Cody finishes way early and feels up to doing another batch, that wait-list will be the order we progress through.
(there is no promise that more pipes will be made, so please understand that this wait-list is by no means a guarantee that you will get a pipe)

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I have given Cody my blessing to produce the pipe based on what the majority wants.
Each piece will be logo'd with the BOTL alternative logo (see my avatar).
Since I'm not a pipe guy - I will leave the shape, details, etc to you guys and Cody to work out so that it's tailored specifically to the BOTL community.

I'm looking forward to the outcome!
Hey guys, to start off I would like to issue a congratulations to everyone that has been pushing this, as well as a big thanks to everyone involved in keeping the interest going and seeing the idea turn into a reality. I feel pretty honored to be the one getting to make this pipe, we have a great group of guys on here and I can't wait to build the piece for the 10th Anniversary.
I want to give Eric a congratulations on coming up on this 10year mile stone as well as a thank you for giving me the blessing to make these pipes.
For those that are not aware Clint (@cgraunke) has been a huge help with getting things worked along, as much as I will be working with everyone on the forum to see this through I will also be enlisting Clint to do a lot of the heavy lifting to accomplish what needs to be done in seeing this through as far as getting the logistics and everything accomplished.

So where are we at now?
Well, we now have the approval and the logo for the pipe.
There is still many things that need to be addressed before the pipes are to be made.
One of the main things that need to be addressed first and foremost is the amount of people that would be in on this.
After a lot of consideration the price point would realistically be sitting around the $225 mark.
This is not a hard price, just an early planning budgetary figure.

Poles as far as the pipe shape, finish, stem etc will also need to be done in order to come to a general consensus.

After we get those nailed down we can get moving forward on everything else.

Once I have hard numbers on people interested and we have come to a general consensus on the pipe to be made we will start compiling the pipe orders.
A first wave of 10 pipes would be put out, a rough number of 20 total pipes to be made has been floating around. It is up in the air as far as if a cap will be placed on the number of pipes that are to be made however.

At this point we need a rough figure of how many people would seriously be interested given the rough price point of $225.
When the time comes in order to be on the list to purchase a pipe a non refundable deposit for your individual pipe will be needed, this deposit will go into the material price of your pipe. Once the pipe is finished it will be sent out upon the final balance of the pipe being cleared up.
Pipe orders will be reserved on a first come first serve basis once the deposit is received.

Thanks guys, can't wait to see what we come up with.
Cody.
14lplyq.jpg
About the Artist: CP Pipes

I grew up on a small farm in Saskatchewan, Canada, where my father was a knife maker, I have since relocated to Edmonton, Alberta. As a young child, I spent hours tinkering in my father’s workshop while he diligently made knives and as a result I developed an interest in design and fabrication early on. At 14 years old I made my first knife and began selling them to the local guided hunters.
Later on in high school, I was introduced to the trade of machining in a shop class and immediately fell in love with the ability to create practically anything I imagined out of metal. I am naturally detail-oriented and was eager to learn how to express this characteristic using metal. I landed my first job as a Machinist apprentice mere months after discovering the trade and have worked as a Journeyman Machinist ever since.
Pipe smoking became a hobby for my friends and I as young adults and eventually, after many smoke nights, a friend challenged me to make my own pipe. Excited by the idea of crafting my own pipe I began sourcing materials. I started with a small order of briar and a mixed bag of pre-molded vulcanite stems. My first pipe was a simple billiard with a brass band between the stem and pipe shank. My friends were impressed by the finished product and soon began ordering my hand made pipes for themselves.
Ever since that first pipe, I have been absorbed by the story every block of briar has within it and my desire to tell it. The beauty of working with organic material, such as briar, is its unpredictability. I begin by studying the details of the briar block by examining its size, shape, and grain structure. Once I have a vision of what may lie within the block I begin my work. However, unlike steel, where I have a blueprint that does not allow for any deviation, the briar itself dictates the final outcome and I never truly know what the finished product will be.
I have long since moved passed using pre-formed stems and now only hand-cut each individual stem to suit every pipe. Every piece found within one of my pipes has been hand-cut from the raw material. No pre-made stems, bands, or inserts are used. In my pipes you will frequently find materials including Italian briar, bone, horn, antler, exotic hardwoods, ivory, vegetable ivory, German ebonite, Lucite, acrylic, Delrin, brass, and aluminum.
The variation in the grain, and the creative process are what I enjoy most about the art of pipe making. Every one of my pipes is original and unique in its own way. I am very meticulous with the quality of my pipes and you will not find any filler or bowl coats that are often used to disguise imperfections. My pipes are of a high quality, and I would not create a pipe that I would not buy myself.
For me, creating each pipe is an exciting journey as the work unfolds, and an excellent showcase of creativity and fine craftsmanship. I look forward to the years of pipe making that lay ahead and the adventure the briar takes me on. To any of those who add my work to their collections, I hope the stories I’ve been able to create out of my pipes add to your enjoyment as you tell yours.
-Cody, CP Pipes (BOTL: "crperkins")

690fa2aa9d4011e2b4e822000a9f130c_7.jpg8e494c069d4011e2b36e22000a1fa437_7.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Reserved

If you are still interested in pipe, you can be put on a wait list. PM Clint (cgraunke) to be put on wait list.
More Details in Clint's post above.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Well, enough screwing around, let's get this project moving!
I'll flush out the main OP with basic info shortly, and more details as we move along, but we need to get the crowd portion moving ASAP.
Our first step will be to determine a pipe SHAPE
I'm asking anyone interested in being a part of the design of this pipe, please post a picture example of a pipe design SHAPE that your are partial to, and if you can, verbalize what you like about it.
Remember, we're only talking about overall SHAPE here.
(finish styles, rustication, color, stem material, etc., will all come in to play as this project progresses)
In addition to posting your own pictures, please comment on things you like/don't like about other people's submissions.
We don't want to be rude, but please don't hesitate to give criticisms as you may bring things to light that someone else might not otherwise consider.
And, if someone criticizes your idea, please don't take it personal. This is basically a nation-wide, real-time, brainstorm session, and we want to cover all aspects.
Tentatively, this will run through Saturday, at which time a selection of the most well received shapes that Cody deems realistic for this project will be put in a poll.
The first poll will narrow down to the top three choices which will then go in to a second poll to determine the final SHAPE for the 2014 BOTL Pipe.
These brainstorm sessions are going to move fast, so check back often if you want your voice to be heard. We want as many people involved as possible, but we need to keep this moving if we're going to have enough time for production.

I'm going to start off SHAPE suggestions with my favorite production pipe I've seen as of late, the Savinelli Collection 2010. It was only produced one year, 2010, and I'm sure there are some other companies making this shape, but I haven't researched them since this was the total package for me. Like many it seems, I found myself drawn the the Sav 320 traditional "author" shape. I don't know what the Collection 2010 shape is officially called, but in my eyes it shares some design aspects of the "Author" as well as some I've seen called a "tomato", "apple", or "pot". The one thing that really draws me to this over the traditional "author" is the saddle bit, but that will be part of a different poll. One thing that many people don't like about the "author" shape is its similarity to "recreational" glass-blown pipes, but I guess that doesn't bother me

That's a shape I'd like to see.
What do you think? Yay? Nay? Why?
What have YOU got to show us??

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
pipshapes.jpg

Since I'm fairly new to pipes I had to go looking for help on shapes a and proper terminiology. I'm posting this for the other pipe newbies. I go it off another forum, that got it from somewhere else.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not a fan of bulldog shapes. Just don't like the look. An apple or oval would be fine. In fact I'd go for any of the shapes but bulldog. (I'd probably still get a bulldog if out voted)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Good call Highlander!

Here's another excellent pic I got off Savinelli's site a while back with their style numbers:
Shape_Chart_Savinelli.jpg

And another, for reference, along the lines of flyboy's with more traditional shapes:
pipe shapes.JPG

I'm not necessarily concerned with the name of the shape, but more about a picture being posted.
If you do a web search on a shape name called out on one of the pictures, you should get all kinds of hits and lose all kinds of work productivity surfing through the piping goodness. :eyebrow:
Post your favorites here and tell us what you like about them!

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I'm definitely a fan of the pokers as well, and their slight variation, the cherrywood. I like that I can set them down wherever I am without a stand (it's a "sitter")
A benefit to both the poker and the devil anse are the relitive simplicity to build (according to Cody) which lowers time, and therefor lowers cost.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I'm definitely a fan of the pokers as well, and their slight variation, the cherrywood. I like that I can set them down wherever I am without a stand (it's a "sitter")
A benefit to both the poker and the devil anse are the relitive simplicity to build (according to Cody) which lowers time, and therefor lowers cost.
Lower cost is good!

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Good job Clint. Not being a pipe guy, but still wanting to acquire one, I will leave the decisions to you fellas, unless the color or wood material is 'funky'. I think this should be a classic, something that represents the BOTL well, and also something that can be proudly displayed as a beautiful piece of Art. Not sure if y'all plan on smoking out of yours, or putting it on display, but starting off with the flat bottom ones I think is a good idea, but really I know nothing in this area. Also, the BOTL display on the bowl(idea), might be easier if it had flat sides, but that might take away from the beauty of it.

Thx again Cody and Clint!

PS - Hey Cody, where in Sask are you from? I grew up there myself in Stoughton (pop. 800) in the southeast. Go Riders!

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I say if you're gonna do it go with simplicity and beauty. I personally like Clint's suggestions on the Savinelli and I also like a natural finish. Cody does some amazing work though so I am sure no matter what he does it will be beautiful.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I say if you're gonna do it go with simplicity and beauty. I personally like Clint's suggestions on the Savinelli and I also like a natural finish. Cody does some amazing work though so I am sure no matter what he does it will be beautiful.
Ditto. The Savinelli collection 2010 looks a lot like a 320. I have a 320 and it smokes great. It also sits flat by itself. I love a natural finish. My 320 is a rustic finish and I wouldn't suggest that for the BOTL pipe. I would also suggest a non-acrylic stem to allow for easier holding between the teeth with this classic.

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'll flush out the main OP with basic info shortly, and more details as we move along, but we need to get the crowd portion moving ASAP.
I'm asking anyone interested in being a part of the design of this pipe, please post a picture example of a pipe design SHAPE that your are partial to, and if you can, verbalize what you like about it.
(finish styles, rustication, color, stem material, etc., will all come in to play as this project progresses)
In addition to posting your own pictures, please comment on things you like/don't like about other people's submissions.
We don't want to be rude, but please don't hesitate to give criticisms as you may bring things to light that someone else might not otherwise consider.
And, if someone criticizes your idea, please don't take it personal. This is basically a nation-wide, real-time, brainstorm session, and we want to cover all aspects.
Tentatively, this will run through Saturday, at which time a selection of the most well received shapes that Cody deems realistic for this project will be put in a poll.
The first poll will narrow down to the top three choices which will then go in to a second poll to determine the final SHAPE for the 2014 BOTL Pipe.
These brainstorm sessions are going to move fast, so check back often if you want your voice to be heard. We want as many people involved as possible, but we need to keep this moving if we're going to have enough time for production.

I'm going to start off SHAPE suggestions with my favorite production pipe I've seen as of late, the Savinelli Collection 2010. It was only produced one year, 2010, and I'm sure there are some other companies making this shape, but I haven't researched them since this was the total package for me. Like many it seems, I found myself drawn the the Sav 320 traditional "author" shape. I don't know what the Collection 2010 shape is officially called, but in my eyes it shares some design aspects of the "Author" as well as some I've seen called a "tomato", "squashed tomato", or "pot". The one thing that really draws me to this over the traditional "author" is the saddle bit, but that will be part of a different poll. One thing that many people don't like about the "author" shape is its similarity to "recreational" glass-blown pipes, but I guess that doesn't bother me

I would be down with this shape but a request if it could be flattened alittle on the bottom so it can stand by itself on a table and not roll over. I like the idea of a poker that was also mentioned but would rather prefer a bent poker.

Also very partial to Rhodesians :peace:

Just my .02

Rating - 100%
34   0   0

I'm going to start off SHAPE suggestions with my favorite production pipe I've seen as of late, the Savinelli Collection 2010. It was only produced one year, 2010, and I'm sure there are some other companies making this shape, but I haven't researched them since this was the total package for me. Like many it seems, I found myself drawn the the Sav 320 traditional "author" shape. I don't know what the Collection 2010 shape is officially called, but in my eyes it shares some design aspects of the "Author" as well as some I've seen called a "tomato", "squashed tomato", or "pot". The one thing that really draws me to this over the traditional "author" is the saddle bit, but that will be part of a different poll. One thing that many people don't like about the "author" shape is its similarity to "recreational" glass-blown pipes, but I guess that doesn't bother me

+1 on this shape