What's new

2014 BOTL Pipe of the Year

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good call Highlander!

Here's another excellent pic I got off Savinelli's site a while back with their style numbers:
View attachment 40164

And another, for reference, along the lines of flyboy's with more traditional shapes:
View attachment 40163

I'm not necessarily concerned with the name of the shape, but more about a picture being posted.
If you do a web search on a shape name called out on one of the pictures, you should get all kinds of hits and lose all kinds of work productivity surfing through the piping goodness. :eyebrow:
Post your favorites here and tell us what you like about them!
Good job Clint. Not being a pipe guy, but still wanting to acquire one, I will leave the decisions to you fellas, unless the color or wood material is 'funky'. I think this should be a classic, something that represents the BOTL well, and also something that can be proudly displayed as a beautiful piece of Art. Not sure if y'all plan on smoking out of yours, or putting it on display, but starting off with the flat bottom ones I think is a good idea, but really I know nothing in this area. Also, the BOTL display on the bowl(idea), might be easier if it had flat sides, but that might take away from the beauty of it.

Thx again Cody and Clint!

PS - Hey Cody, where in Sask are you from? I grew up there myself in Stoughton (pop. 800) in the southeast. Go Riders!
I grew up south of Lloydminster, Lloydminster is a border town on the border of Alberta and Saskatchewan it would be northwest from Stoughton.

Like to see the input guys, I'm looking forward to seeing what we will be making.
One thing I would remind and also echo Clint is that we are strictly looking for the pipe shape to be made at this point, alterations within that shape/stem details/finish will all be worked out when we get to it. Another important thing to remember is post a picture of the pipe in that shape that caught your eye. Although for example a billiard pipe is a billiard pipe there can be many many differences within its shape alone. It is also important to say what you like about it exactly so it gives us more to go off of.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Sadly, I'm gonna have to remove myself. There's no way I can afford this now after the money i dropped. Unless Cody and me could work something out, but that wouldn't be fair for the rest of the guys. I will be following along though!
+1 the poker!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Originally the plan was to get a set price nailed down prior to taking deposits. But, in an effort to make sure that those of you who have been following this closely get the best shot at getting one of these before more people catch on, we will likely be opening up for deposits in the next couple days. (each pipe will likely take 8-12 hours to build, so there will only be time for so many - current plan is to produce 24 pipes) These deposits will also help Cody as he'll be able to start ordering some of the supplies he will need regardless of the final design. (tenons, shipping materials, consumables, etc.)
We're not sure what day deposits will open up yet, but I figured I'd throw this out as a little teaser!

Last edited:

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Well, enough screwing around, let's get this project moving!
I'll flush out the main OP with basic info shortly, and more details as we move along, but we need to get the crowd portion moving ASAP.
Our first step will be to determine a pipe SHAPE
I'm asking anyone interested in being a part of the design of this pipe, please post a picture example of a pipe design SHAPE that your are partial to, and if you can, verbalize what you like about it.
Remember, we're only talking about overall SHAPE here.
(finish styles, rustication, color, stem material, etc., will all come in to play as this project progresses)
In addition to posting your own pictures, please comment on things you like/don't like about other people's submissions.
We don't want to be rude, but please don't hesitate to give criticisms as you may bring things to light that someone else might not otherwise consider.
And, if someone criticizes your idea, please don't take it personal. This is basically a nation-wide, real-time, brainstorm session, and we want to cover all aspects.
Tentatively, this will run through Saturday, at which time a selection of the most well received shapes that Cody deems realistic for this project will be put in a poll.
The first poll will narrow down to the top three choices which will then go in to a second poll to determine the final SHAPE for the 2014 BOTL Pipe.
These brainstorm sessions are going to move fast, so check back often if you want your voice to be heard. We want as many people involved as possible, but we need to keep this moving if we're going to have enough time for production.

I'm going to start off SHAPE suggestions with my favorite production pipe I've seen as of late, the Savinelli Collection 2010. It was only produced one year, 2010, and I'm sure there are some other companies making this shape, but I haven't researched them since this was the total package for me. Like many it seems, I found myself drawn the the Sav 320 traditional "author" shape. I don't know what the Collection 2010 shape is officially called, but in my eyes it shares some design aspects of the "Author" as well as some I've seen called a "tomato", "squashed tomato", or "pot". The one thing that really draws me to this over the traditional "author" is the saddle bit, but that will be part of a different poll. One thing that many people don't like about the "author" shape is its similarity to "recreational" glass-blown pipes, but I guess that doesn't bother me

That's a shape I'd like to see.
What do you think? Yay? Nay? Why?
What have YOU got to show us??
+1 on this shape
I vote for this one,

Rating - 100%
163   0   0

Ok put me down.

I wanna throw in the Devil Anse. I borrowed this image from the Internet to show. Devil Anse is basically a shorter version of a cutty. I've been wanting one.

I think the name is perfect for us here. After all you gotta have a little Devil in you to hang around this place.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Love the shape of the Sav 2010 especially the touch of the smooth top of the bowl. Being a fan of real craggy rustication, one suggestion would be to "roughen" the finish a bit. IMO, a lot of Savinelli's rustic finishes are often "too perfect". I prefer a more hand rusticated finish like Castello's Sea Rock or Boswells Lava. Unless Cody comes across some pieces that have some nice grain/birdseye, then a smooth finish may be better.

Oh and count me in for 1. G1

Rating - 100%
151   0   0

Ok put me down.

I wanna throw in the Devil Anse. I borrowed this image from the Internet to show. Devil Anse is basically a shorter version of a cutty. I've been wanting one.

I think the name is perfect for us here. After all you gotta have a little Devil in you to hang around this place.
I like this one.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I like all 3 that have been mentioned

The Tomato (Sav 320)
The Poker
The Devil

If I had to pick one I would go with The Poker, And I kinda Like the stubby at that. But if possible is there A way to Combine all 3 ? I think We are A unique Bunch and the Pipe should be the same Some real out of the box Masterpiece with in Budget LOL I know right.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'm extremely glad for the community that this is going to happen. I would like nothing more to own one of these and place it in my lounge for display. Even though I don't pipe smoke! But how can I commit to a deposit when a base pipe has not even been chosen. Not sure if anyone else is in this "corner". But I'm sad to have to put down money on a collectible I'm not even sure I'd like to "collect".
Good luck gents on the design. I wish you all the best times smoking with these works of art.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I'm extremely glad for the community that this is going to happen. I would like nothing more to own one of these and place it in my lounge for display. Even though I don't pipe smoke! But how can I commit to a deposit when a base pipe has not even been chosen. Not sure if anyone else is in this "corner". But I'm sad to have to put down money on a collectible I'm not even sure I'd like to "collect".
Good luck gents on the design. I wish you all the best times smoking with these works of art.
You're not alone in this j-fire. It's kind of a battle between getting enough information from all interested parties, and doing things in a timely enough fashion for production to be completed. We need to get to the deposit phase as soon as possible so Cody can get materials on order, unfortunately we're three to four months behind where we really should be, and are probably going to move much faster with this than may be ideal. I think as long as interested parties stay involved we should be able to make some solid progress, though!

That being said, since the only feedback on shape seems to be the apple/poker/devil anse, we may bump up that poll a day or two! (keep your eyes peeled)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I totally get where you are coming from J, paying a deposit on something that you don't know what the final outcome is might be a tough pill to swallow.

The reason behind it is for two purposes.

One being that we are already playing catch up on getting this pipe worked out. I need to order the appropriate materials to build the pipes that are chosen, as my main materials are sourced from Germany and Italy shipping takes some time, as well as the appropriate briar needs to be sorted and selected from where I am ordering it. With a build of this magnitude I do not feel comfortable fronting the expenses on the chance of getting burned. Nothing personal in the least, but many pipe maker will not start commissioning a piece until they have received payment in full. I am open to proceeding on the basis that a chunk of my costs have been accounted for.

The second reason is that we want the members who have been the most pro-active with the Anniversary Pipes to be the first to ensure they will be getting one. There is a possibility that not everyone wanting a pipe will be guaranteed one, this heavily depends on those interested and once again the time frame we have to produce enough to answer for the demand. The pipes will also be numbered in accordance to when they are made. This allows those that have been more engaged a chance at a lower production number or for that matter a number of there choosing.