What's new

2014 BOTL Pipe of the Year

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I am about to start going down the slippery pipe slope in terms of smoking one but I've loved the artistry of pipes for a long time.

It's been a real treat following this thread and seeing the decision making process for a new pipe as well as the creation process for it.

Kudos!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys, I have not packed a bowl in it but given the foot print of the pipe it will balance with a full bowl. I can also lessen the angle which I will still be able to keep the balance full or empty. Should we put a poll out for how steep of angle? How much less would we want to see?, half way between where it is now and flat bottomed?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As far as pipe making I am mainly self taught, although over the years I have received some guidance thanks to Grant Batson.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
As far as pipe making I am mainly self taught, although over the years I have received some guidance thanks to Grant Batson.
I really find your craftsmanship just beautiful and haven't even had the chance to admire my pipe to be in person, I enjoy making things myself and always wondered how someone could get to the point of crafting something like that from raw materials

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks man, I am a machinist by trade so I am sure that helps. But in all honest I find most of it boils down to practice.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Ironic how so many things in life come down to patience, time, and practice

Regardless, all of us appreciate your undertaking of this project, and letting us see it as it transforms is a treat

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
So, for those following, I'll put a poll up tomorrow about the bottom slant (would have done it today, but I never actually started up a computer the whole weekend. Feels a bit strange!)
Who else had an opinion on this?
A third of the way back toward a flat bottom?
Half way?
Personally, I would say no more than half...
Throw out your thoughts and we'll put up one final poll tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I like the steep angle but that's just me. I am fine with polling though and see where that leaves us

I can go that steep or almost flat without sacrificing balance.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
yeah, a briar this nice, AND it has ties to the board, i am not going to be randomly putting it places, so it sitting empty is not a prereq for me. artist's prerogative, IMO.