What's new

8ball reviews an acid collectors tin (yikes)

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Been looking forward to this one since the thread was started.
Larry was the ACID that transitioned me to good cigars. Not for any merits of its own mind you... Got into ACIDs, then moved up to the Larry (around $15-16/ea at my b&m) then thought well if I'm spending this much why not just try some of the stuff on the other wall for $10? So I did, and it's been all downhill from there.
It's weird that you say that because I've always questioned the pricing on infused cigars. Why are they so expensive? One would think they would be cheaper to attract entry level smokers. Heck, if cheaper, I might invest in more, but at the Msrp, you won't find me.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It's weird that you say that because I've always questioned the pricing on infused cigars. Why are they so expensive? One would think they would be cheaper to attract entry level smokers. Heck, if cheaper, I might invest in more, but at the Msrp, you won't find me.
True infusing requires long periods of time exposed to the scent of the flavorings and some petuning. It isn't just topping it as they roll it. So, it takes more time, dedicated space, and more ingredients. That means a higher price.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
OK, I'm sorry to say that the review of the Acid tin that I was promising has been so long coming, but after starting a new business and then moving said business. Added to Family issues, my notes have been sitting here and have been neglected. At long last I have a few minutes to summarize. to keep this as short and sweet as possible, Almost all of the Acid line seemed to have a few things in common.
1. Fairly firm draw
2. Would not hold ash well. Odd burn
3. Smelled of grandma's potpourri.
4. An almost chemical/saccharin after taste.
5. Sweetened cap that was almost over powering to start and non existent at the finish
6. Good Construction on all.
Now that we got all that out of the way, the difference
1. Extra Ordinary Larry.. To me the name is fitting. Ordinary, Even extra so..... Not a thing stands out between this and the rest. Well, not quite true.... The mouth feel was extra chalky that just didn't want to go away.
2. Toast.. actually tastes a bit like toast, jam, and saccharine. Tunnels, a lot and will not stay lit. No change in favor through all thirds.
3. Acid One.... After you cut the tampon string off this sucker, it has a distinct grape and wine pre light draw. sadly it goes away quickly when lit. does come back slightly in the second third. and stays through the last third, along with the pepper and spice that started in the first third.
4. Kuba Kuba... Sweet tart like pre light draw. once lit stayed consistent throughout with an earthy undertone. Sadly they somehow glued the band to the wrapper and this stick came apart quickly after removal.
5. Cold Infusion. This cigar was the least sweetened of the bunch. The tobacco itself was mild and not at all complex. by the second third it was down right bland. No change for the last third. Would be a good mild starter.
6. Atom Maduro. Probably the best of the bunch. And by that I mean, was different enough that I could tell it from the rest. Very floral pre light. Into the first third, chocolate and salted caramel are the most prevalent. The second third start to build a spicy note that covers the sweetness. As the cigar rolls into the final third, the salt ramps and a touch of cream. I would almost smoke another of these.
7. Nasty.... Yes
8. 1400cc... coco and graham... slight.... nothing else... no changes
9. Blondie... This little feller was super soft, burned hot and fast. no outstanding flavors other then the sweetened cap. fell apart quicky.
10. C-Notes. refer to number 7... nasty.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Acid interlude.
tabak especial negra.

this is a nice looking stick. Shaggy foot, and really nice leaf shade. The wrapper smells of pure milk chcolate. Similar cap to the dulce. Sweetned with hints of butter, sugar and toffee. The infusion is subdued unlike most acids.

the sweetness on the cap is nice and without looking it up, I'm guessing it's a maduro. I'm loving this cigar halfway through. I think i like the dulce better, but this is still solid.

this is 3/4 tobacco and 1/4 infusion. While this was a gifted cigar, trust me I really like it and I'm being honest. Both of the tabak especial ' s were nice and I can see myself keeping a few around for a change of pace.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Review number 9: the toast
I can't believe 3 months have gone by since smoking an infused. I think I have 3 acids left and a few other infused smokes to do still. Crazy 3 months. I survived my in laws staying with us for 9 days and am now sober. Anyways, so much for smoking one a week, but I did have some time today and an acid made sense because I was in my basement.

the toast is a standard toro. No pigtail, tube, or closed foot. Honestely, I hate that stuff. Sure it's aesthetically pleasing but that stuff just seems to get in the way. The toast smells like...well an acid. Every one pretty much spells the same. The cap is not too sweet, but it's still there.

this smoke is kinda bland. I understand the naming of this cigar. It really does kinda remind me of toast with the cap giving a buttery taste at the end.
a little tickle on the retrohale that I don't like, and it's still kinda bland. Not awful by any means, but nothing great either.
half way through, and yeah, this not perfumey like other acids. It's ok, and I'd throw it into the group of transition cigars and not a knock down blast of weird infusion flavors.

I smoked this guy pretty far, but again, nothing really to see here. I'd smoke another down the line if I was outdoors and it was sunny out, but at this msrp, forget it. That's the problem with all acids imo. Maybe if they were like $2 I'd smoke one from time to time, but these usually go for $7+. Then again, maybe I wouldn't smoke them if they were cheaper, it has been 3 months after all.

Acid score 5/10
Nothing horrible, but nothing great either.

Acid face

Last edited: