What's new

8ball & Zippogeek get a wineador

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Well, I've been eyeing a wineador for awhile now and amazingly, found out that homedepot sells them. Now, I have a homedepot cc, but they seem to always be out of stock. So for the past 2 months, I've been checking every couple of days, and low and behold, they are back in stock. I immediately cash in the points on my Amex to get a $50 homedepot gift card and place my order. I immediately tell @ZippoGeek, as he's been wanting one for awhile, and he managed to convince his wife.

So we've, been chatting and waiting for these to ship all the way from California, and today is the day. The day starts off great as I was hit with a bomb from @broadleaf

Knowing I need some supplies for my set up, my 4 year old daughter and I go on a scavenger hunt to a dollar store and petsmart.

The tissue is for my tears of joy when it shows up. My ups guy shows up usually around 6pm, and zippo and I are herfing at 5pm, so more updates to come as the day progresses.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
1. As far as seasoning goes...I've got a bowl of distilled in mine (these coolidors come with the shelves). Is a week gonna be long enough?
2. What's the proper temperature for these units?

Thanks in advance guys.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Alright, ups man showed up and no damage, woohoo!

Easy to set this guy up, install the handle, and plug it in. But, now I have to wait out the dreaded seasoning phase. I'm thinking 7 days. I have three trays of litter (about 1-2 lbs each), and two small containers of distilled water. My digital hygrometer dropped to under 50 after 10 minutes in there.

These trays are huge! I can't wait to fill this sucker up. It's gonna be nice to move some of my cigars back into the boxes they came. Now we need some pics from @ZippoGeek .

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Mine only took a few days. I would put the kitty litter and wait a few days. Did not have to use distilled like my desktop.
man, couple of days would be great. You think once it reads about 65% it's good to go?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I let mine go up to 70 and had trouble bringing it down. It seals tight and holds humidity well. If I could do it over again, I would take the distilled out at 65 and let it acclimate from there with the kitty litter. My mistake was thinking it would settle down from 70 to between 65-67 like my desktop did. It held the 70 which was higher than I wanted. When it reaches the RH you want pull the distilled out and give it 48 hours to monitor RH. If it holds, you are good. Easy to raise RH in this wineador, not easy to drop RH. My solution was buy a bunch of boxes and it settled where I wanted it.
man, couple of days would be great. You think once it reads about 65% it's good to go?

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I let mine go up to 70 and had trouble bringing it down. It seals tight and holds humidity well. If I could do it over again, I would take the distilled out at 65 and let it acclimate from there with the kitty litter. My mistake was thinking it would settle down from 70 to between 65-67 like my desktop did. It held the 70 which was higher than I wanted. When it reaches the RH you want pull the distilled out and give it 48 hours to monitor RH. If it holds, you are good. Easy to raise RH in this wineador, not easy to drop RH. My solution was buy a bunch of boxes and it settled where I wanted it.
I usually drop the RH if that's what I wish to do by opening the door and leaving it open as long as it takes.
cool, thanks guys! I'm sure I'll be checking it quite often since it's my new toy. I'll wait till it hits 65, take the water out, and wait 48 hours. Sounds like a plan. @ZippoGeek is such a good botl, that he's giving me a cigar oasis that I'm gonna use as a backup if the rh ever drops to low.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
No litter in there until your wood is seasoned. The litter usually comes out of the bag around 60-65%. Leave the dishes of DW in there until you're consistently reading 5-10% higher than your goal. Pull the DW, add your trays of KL, let it stabilize a couple days, and you're good to go.
The overall time will depend on your local ambient and how dry the wood was to start.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
No litter in there until your wood is seasoned. The litter usually comes out of the bag around 60-65%. Leave the dishes of DW in there until you're consistently reading 5-10% higher than your goal. Pull the DW, add your trays of KL, let it stabilize a couple days, and you're good to go.
The overall time will depend on your local ambient and how dry the wood was to start.
thanks for the tip. I'll pull out the k and add some water to another container.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0

cagrunke is right. Putting the litter in during seasoning will be counterproductive, whereas KL will just take everything to 65. But unlike beads, will not replenish humidity. So get it above 65 and steady.... like straight 70%RH... Or you will not even need the KL.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine only took a few days. I would put the kitty litter and wait a few days. Did not have to use distilled like my desktop.
ALWAYS use distilled water! Tap has minerals and impurities that mold likes.
*Edited: Sorry, misunderstood your post, naturally you knew about D.W!

Last edited: