What's new

A beginner's journey...

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Subscribed to thread!
Looking forward to your first review. :)
I'd suggest adding an Ashton VSG (or a dozen) to your humidor. :D

Very cool, I shall remember that :)

I completely forgot about two other cigars I have in my humidor!

- Oliva Serie G Torpedo (Maduro wrapper; Nicaragua)

- Ramon Allones Regional Edition Canada Petit Unicos (Belicoso; Cuba)

The Ramon Allones are actually 1/2 a box I split with my brother.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

Ramon Allones Regional Edition Canada Petit Unico

Size: 5 x 50 Belicoso

Wrapper: Natural

Smoke time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Pre-light thoughts: This is quite a beautifully constructed stick with a firm packing and no soft spots at all. The aroma it gives off is of a sweet tobacco with a very light hint of barnyard hay or wood. The aroma is light, though, and you really need to bring it right up to your nose to pick it up - I have 12 of them in my humidor and the smell of my other cigars overpowers it.

A pre-light draw evokes a nice sweetness, and a smooth cedar flavour which reminds me of the smell of a smoke shop. Very pleasant.

First third: It's a very firm draw. Smoke production is decent, but you really have to pull it out of the cigar with your lips if you want a substantial amount to fill your mouth. The flavours quite accurately mimic the smells the cigar gave off before lighting - a sweet tobacco and wood flavor, with a small amount of "barn" to it.

It kind of tastes like a day working on the farm.

Second third: I've had a few small problems with the burn, but I attribute it to the weather which is pretty gross right now - very windy, and light drizzle. I'm on a roofed patio, but still, the wind is enough that the burn is a little wonky. So, it's not the cigar's fault.

The flavour has morphed into a deep leather and it's very good. Also the smoke production has increased a little bit - it's still a fairly firm draw, but I'm getting noticeably more smoke out.

Final third: The leather has dissipated a bit and the flavour has returned to the original mixture of tobacco and wood. But with the hint of leather still there, it's evoking (for me) images of some of my favorite Western movies. It tastes like a horse farm, with the hay, wooden barns, and leather straps and saddles. I can imagine The Man With No Name smoking one of these.

Ending thoughts: I enjoyed this one, though it's not my personal preference in flavour blends - I personally am more of a deep chocolate and coffee cigar smoker, which I suppose is why I gravitate more towards Maduros.

It was very pleasant, though, with mild strength and a consistently good flavour.

It does reinforce, though, my opinion that while Cuban cigars are great, they tend to not be all they are cracked up to me. I've smoked Nicaraguan blends that I found much richer and more pleasing. Perhaps I am uninformed as I am still, admittedly, new to the cigar world. But this is my fifth Cuban and while they have all been very good, they're not the be-all-end-all of smokes.

I feel like it may be kind of a "forbidden fruit" thing with American smokers. *shrug*

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome and have fun! This is one of the best hobbies one can have. I have been a cigar smoker for only a few months but I am up to two 100ct. humis and am loving it! Enjoy the slide down the slope.
You caught the fever bad:halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome megladon and nice review! To have free access to cc's and still prefer maduros. That's awesome! Looking forward to your next reviews.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
"they're not the be-all-end-all of smokes."

Braden I've always felt that way.

It's great to know I'm not alone here.

I BY NO MEANS am saying I don't like Cubans. The handful I've smoked have been great smokes. They just aren't the absolute BEST in my humble opinion. :)

earful said:
Welcome megladon and nice review! To have free access to cc's and still prefer maduros. That's awesome! Looking forward to your next reviews.

Thanks for the compliment on the review! Didn't really know how to go about it to be honest, so I hope to improve as I keep writing them!

Yeah, like I said above, I certainly enjoy Cubans greatly. I just feel that their reputation maybe builds them up to be something they couldn't possibly be.

You half expect a nude model to jump out of the wrapper and light it for you, then laugh at your jokes and serve you drinks the whole time you smoke it.

They're great smokes. I've had better, though :)

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

Montecristo No. 4

Size: 5 x 42 Corona

Smoke time: 1 hour

Pre-light thoughts: This is the second of these I've smoked and they're becoming a go-to favorite when I want a relatively mild but consistent cigar. It has a soft wrapper and a very sweet smell of tobacco, cedar and a hint of vanilla.

First third: Perfect draw. Lots of rich, creamy smoke which echoes the pre-light aromas - sweet tobacco, wood, and a very light hint of vanilla.

Flavour-wise, this is one of the most pleasant smokes I have found so far. And I use pleasant quite literally - it's not powerful, it's not a rich dessert stick. It is light and perfect on the palette. Something I could smoke just about any time and enjoy the heck out of it.

Second third: Consistent. The vanilla dips in and out, sometime morphing into a subtle coca flavour almost as if you were tasting a packet of hot chocolate mix.

The burn continues perfectly. It's not completely straight, but there are no dips or valleys at all. It's not canoeing. It's pretty much a perfect burn.

Final third: 45 minutes in and I'm nearing the end. Like I said earlier, it's a very consistent, pleasant smoke. The transitions are subtle, few and far between. But what the stick lacks in complexity it more than makes up in being a purely pleasurable mild-to-medium smoke.

Ending thoughts: I laugh when I see that my last review ended with me saying how I find Cubans generally underwhelming, and now I'm citing a Cuban as one of my favorites.

I'm at a lack of words to describe it. Not because it's that "WOW-ing" but just because I feel like I've said all there needs to be said at this point. I really, really like these cigars a lot. If I could afford them as every-day smokes, I would.

Anyone who is looking for something on the milder side of things that still has a delicious array of sweet flavours should definitely give it a shot. But who am I kidding? You probably already have :)

Last edited:

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Actually your review speaks to a quality that is often associated with the brand and something I have experienced: balance. It's not an easy thing to achieve!

well done! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Actually your review speaks to a quality that is often associated with the brand and something I have experienced: balance. It's not an easy thing to achieve!

well done! :thumbsup:

Thank you!!

I'm trying my best to use as much "cigar lingo" as I can to communicate my absolute, honest opinions on these cigars.

My taste really runs the gamut - I like anything from mild to medium-full.

I'm thinking of trying out some 5 Vegas Golds.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

Don Tomas Clasico

Size: 5.5 x 50 Robusto

Smoke time: 1 hour 15 minutes

Pre-light thoughts: I was really looking forward to this one. It has one of the most pleasant aromas of anything in my humidor, with a beautifully soft, natural wrapper and what looks like very solid construction. After snipping off the first cap (it has a double) I took a pre-light draw and it tasted of fairly standard tobacco and cedar, but if there's anything I've learned with the sticks I've smoked, they can be very unpredictable (ie, a basic tobacco and cedar flavor at the beginning does not mean it'll be that same flavour after a third, or a half, or even two thirds).

First third: This cigar lit very easily and evenly and right off the bat was giving very pleasant flavours of - surprise! - tobacco and cedar. The smoke is a little bit harsh to begin, but even after 5 draws it is smoothing out quite a bit.

The smoke is not especially thick but there's lots of it. Having no draw problems at all.

Seems to be about a medium body at this point.

Second third: The flavours have begun to change ever-so-subtly into a bit of a mellow chocolate and a hint of leather. I really find these are two of my favorite flavours, and having them blend together so nicely is a treat to be sure.

The smoke has become slightly richer and creamier, and the draw remains absolutely divine. I wish every cigar I smoked could have this level of perfection in its draw and construction. The burn is absolutely razor-sharp and the ash is holding on tight after a good inch and a half.

Final third: While the flavours didn't really change again, they remained so very nice right to the end. I actually smoked this one down farther than I normally do, to the point where there was only about an inch left of it. It wasn't until the smoke was getting unpleasantly hot that I tossed the nub.

Truly a great smoke through and through.

Ending thoughts: Considering the bargain price of these cigars, I think they may be my new go-to for an every day cigar. A pleasant experience from start to finish, with a consistent medium body and some rich flavours.

At $65 a box, you really can't go wrong with these.

Strongly recommended to anyone who hasn't tried them already!

Rating - 100%
37   0   0

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial

Size: 5.5 x 50 Double Robusto

Smoke time: 1 hour

Pre-light thoughts: Gorgeous, smooth natural wrapper with some tooth to it. This also has one of the most pleasant aromas when brought right up to the nose - sweet tobacco with hints of an almost cocoa powder smell. It's very nice. I hope these smells transfer to the flavour of the cigar.

A pre-light draw gives a very light flavour but again, pleasant as can be. Looking forward to this one.

First third: An easy light and near effortless draw. The first few draws are quite peppery, leaving a bit of a harsh tingle in the back of the throat. But after just 5 draws or so it's already calming down to a smooth chocolatey flavour. It's very nice.

Second third: The power is really starting to hit me - I'm getting a bit light-headed and starting to feel like it'll move to my stomach soon if I don't take a break. So once I reach the halfway point I'm going to let it go out and light it back up later.

The flavours are still wonderful. The chocolate remains at the forefront, with an accent of the peppery spiciness.

I don't know if it's just that I am still a bit of a wimp, but man, this cigar is listed on Top Cubans.com as being "mild-to-medium", and I'm really getting a buzz off of it.

Taking a break now. Will get something to drink and come back to finish it in a bit.

Final third: Re-lit easily and the flavours remained consistent. There haven't really been any "morphings" of flavours since the initial transition from a very heavy pepper to the rich chocolate, but I'm certainly not complaining as the chocolate is very nice.

The power seems to have died down, too. But I'm still glad I took the break - there's nothing more disappointing than ruining the experience of a nice cigar by getting sick.

Ending thoughts: Another very nice Cuban. While it doesn't deliver on complexity of flavour, for a consistent, smooth chocolate flavour with a moderate amount of smoke, it's one of the better ones I've had.

I have another one in my humidor which I will let age for a few months and see if it differs at all.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I just ordered CI's "Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels" sampler...

CI’s Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels Sampler includes:
2 - 5 Vegas Triple-A (5" x 56)
2 - Diesel Unholy Cocktail (torpedo) (5" x 56)
2 - La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte Toro (6.5" x 50)
2 - Man O’ War Ruination Robusto #1 (5.5" x 54)
2 - Man O’ War Virtue Toro (6" x 50)
1 - 5 Vegas Gold Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - Graycliff ’G2’ Pirate Torpedo (6" x 52)
1 - Gurkha’s Park Avenue Churchill (7" x 48)
1 - Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Toro Maduro (6" x 52)
1 - Nica Libre Exclusivo (5.5" x 50)
1 - Oliva Serie ’G’ Toro (6" x 50)
1 - Padilla Achilles Torpedo (6" x 54)
1 - Rocky Patel Connecticut Torpedo (6.5" x 50)

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Welcome, sounds like a great start.

Some of my best xbox live/facebook friends are Canadian (yes, I'm 53 and play xbox, lol).

Great to have you!

Hey wicked! I play 360 too! What games do you play?

Feel free to add me to your friends list! megladon8