What's new

A Coolidor Primer

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You forgot to mention Kitty liter.. works awesome in cooladors... Bovedas work awesome as well.. Actually I use kitty litter and bovedas.. my bovedas are 6 months old and still as fresh as the day i got them

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
You forgot to mention Kitty liter.. works awesome in cooladors... Bovedas work awesome as well.. Actually I use kitty litter and bovedas.. my bovedas are 6 months old and still as fresh as the day i got them
Great point Jason!! Here are my humidifaction photos. I also use a combination of Kitty Litter and 65% Bovedas with Oust fans for circulation. Rock solid humidty at 64-66%.

Crystal style Kitty litter - $4.29 for 4 pounds at Wally Mart (currently using less than 1/2 pound)

Electrical Switch boxes - 3@ $1.29 from Menards

In place on lower level.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great point Jason!! Here are my humidifaction photos. I also use a combination of Kitty Litter and 65% Bovedas with Oust fans for circulation. Rock solid humidty at 64-66%.

Crystal style Kitty litter - $4.29 for 4 pounds at Wally Mart (currently using less than 1/2 pound)

In place on lower level.

What size is your cooler? That looks perfect for what I need. Also, great idea with the electrical boxes.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0

In place on lower level.

What size is your cooler? That looks perfect for what I need. Also, great idea with the electrical boxes.
Thanks...It is a 60 quart Igloo. I got it at Wally Mart last spring. Holds humidity like a champ!!! :thumbsup:

Here's a link to the details. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-60-Qt.-Ice-Cube-Roller-Cooler/5663765

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
are those the standard ebay/cheaphumidors.com trays you are using? they look like they are a perfect fit....

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Awesome dude!

Get yourself some trays, some humidification, and a hygrometer.... and then start filling it up!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome dude!

Get yourself some trays, some humidification, and a hygrometer.... and then start filling it up!
I have 4 trays coming from cheap humidor deal. A digi hygrometer and I think I am going the crystal kitty litter route instead of beads. Filling my 200 and 50 was fun, this should be great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Rupe talked me through the KL thing a few weeks ago... I've been giving it a go in my wineador to see what I think... Been real happy with it so far... Took me 2 days to get it to 65... And has been holding steady ever since... (I keep 4x bovedas in there too...)...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was going to add some bovedas and was thinking 4 or 5. Thanks for adding that in the comment. Also, how much 50/50 or distilled water in the kitty litter?

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I was going to add some bovedas and was thinking 4 or 5. Thanks for adding that in the comment. Also, how much 50/50 or distilled water in the kitty litter?
Use straight distilled water. Get a spray bottle and just spray it a couple of times. Do not add water to it like you would gel rather just spray it with the mist from a spray bottle. Let it sit in there a day or so and check the humidity. If it is still too low give it a couple more sprays and let it sit another day. If it gets too high, just add a little dry kitty litter to bring it down. I have found that it is in the low 60's out of the bag and I can usually get it to 65% in 2-3 days.

Also, make sure that the boxes or trays that you put in there are seasoned first. Season them like you would the inside of a humidor. Otherwise they will suck up any extra moisture that comes off the kitty litter or Bovedas.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like me to walk you through it.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I was rummaging through the attic last night looking for another suitcase to take with me this weekend... and guess what I found (totally forgot I had this thing)....

an igloo 60 quart cooler!

It needs to be scrubbed down badly.. Im guessing its been stuck in the attic for 3 or 4 years at this point, unused.. just collecting dust and grime..

I honestly cant remember when I bought this thing.. or why... but its obviously not getting any use (until now!)..

Forrest is about to get another tray order... and my overflow problems are solved (again) until I pick up the cabinet humi that Im planning on this summer..

Im stoked! (my wife isnt!) :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was rummaging through the attic last night looking for another suitcase to take with me this weekend... and guess what I found (totally forgot I had this thing)....

an igloo 60 quart cooler!

It needs to be scrubbed down badly.. Im guessing its been stuck in the attic for 3 or 4 years at this point, unused.. just collecting dust and grime..

I honestly cant remember when I bought this thing.. or why... but its obviously not getting any use (until now!)..

Forrest is about to get another tray order... and my overflow problems are solved (again) until I pick up the cabinet humi that Im planning on this summer..

Im stoked! (my wife isnt!) :)
My wife has rolled her eyes at me at least 23 times since I bought my cooler. Nice find in the attic!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive been sitting, staring at this thing this morning.. and couldnt for the life of me figure out where it came from...

It just dawned on me a couple of minutes ago... its a lot older than I originally thought.. we bought the cooler at the same time we bought our boat in the spring of 2007.. and left it at the marina until we sold the boat in 2010... after we sold the boat, I drug it back here (along with all the other boat junk) and threw it in the attic.. and forgot about it..

We didnt use it more than a couple of times... (we didnt use the boat more than a couple of times either... sadly...).. it was a totally wasted purchase (until now!)...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
lol.. I think I just made peace with her..

I agreed to take her with me to NYC next month... when I head over to spend Saturday at Cigar Fest.. she is going shopping on 5th Ave..

I get to fill a cooler....

she gets to kill our savings account (somehow I think I got the raw end of that deal... :scratchhe)