What's new

A newb's journey

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll be pretty busy the next couple of days so I'm on the computer today.
Everybody knows I'm new to the whole cigar smoking thing and after a couple of weeks of building the humidor I just wanted to get opinions on my selections. I'm kind of stuck with these for the next 6 or 8 months so I hope I made the right decisions. Most where bought at auction, as sample packs or as Thompson 5 pack specials. I was able to keep my average price per cigar reasonable. Obviously I'm looking for med/full to full flavored cigars with a preference for Maduro wrappers.

Ageing Room Quatro F55 Concerto 6 x 50
Alec Bradley 90+ Seconds Torpedo
Alec Bradley Lineage Family Toro
Alec Bradley Nica Puro Bajito
Alec Bradley Post Embargo Belicoso
Alec Bradley Tempus Maduro Quadron 5.5 x 55
Alec Bradley The Mundial PL6 Perfec
Alec Bradley Black Market Vandal Toro
Asylum 13 Fifty Nic Puro 5x50 Robust
Ave Maria Divinia Perfecto 6 x 60
Brick House Maduro Robusto
Cao Brazilia Gol 5 x 56
CAO Gold Maduro robusto 6x60
Cuba Libre One Churchill
Drew Estates Nica Rustica short Robusto 4.5 x 50
Diesel Hair of the Dog Robusto
Diesel Rage Perfecto 6 x 60
Diesel Unholy Cocktail Torpedo
Diesel Unlimited D5
Diesel Wicked 6.2 x 56
Don Juan B&M H B Maduro Robusto
Don Juan B&M H B Sun Grown Robusto
HC Squared Habano Perfecto 6 x 60
Joya de Nicaragua Antano Consul 4.5x52
Kings Cask Robusto
LA Herencia Cabana Perfecto 6 x 60
Man of War Ruination Perfecto 6 x 60
Nica Libre box pressed Toro 6x54
Oliva Series V churchill V 7x52
Rocky Patel Broadleaf Robusto 5.5 x 50
Rocky Patel Brothers maduro Toro
R P Decade Sumatra Robusto
Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto
Rocky Patel edge Maduro Toro
Rocky Patel edge Nicaraguan Toro
Rocky Patel edge Sumatra Toro
Rocky Patel vintage seconds 1992 Torpedo
Rocky Patel Vintage Cameroon 2003 5x50 Robus
TLC H B Robusto

I know, to many RPs!!!! Maybe I know better now.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ageing Room Quatro F55 Concerto 6 x 50
Brick House Maduro Robusto
Cao Brazilia Gol 5 x 56
Drew Estates Nica Rustica short Robusto 4.5 x 50

Diesel Unholy Cocktail Torpedo
Diesel Unlimited D5
Diesel Wicked 6.2 x 56
Joya de Nicaragua Antano Consul 4.5x52

Man of War Ruination Perfecto 6 x 60
Oliva Series V churchill V 7x52

these ones are pretty good quality/pricewise imho. others i've either not had or haven't enjoyed.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can you educate me why you avoid Thompson? 5 packs for under $20.00 is how I started but I did find comparable selections on the auctions cheaper. It's just that the auctions are like crack and I need to stay away from them.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Can you educate me why you avoid Thompson? 5 packs for under $20.00 is how I started but I did find comparable selections on the auctions cheaper. It's just that the auctions are like crack and I need to stay away from them.
Personal preference I guess, but dealt with them a few years back and had some issues haven't been back since. I feel there are better vendors out there with better prices.

squaresoft

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
theres nothing wrong with thompsons really (especially in regards to the 5pack frenzy deal) but they arent really the cheapest option at the end of the day...and you'll quickly learn not to buy the samplers from places like thompsons/CI/famous because they feature predominantly sub par cigars.

that being said I fully endorse using the thompsons 5pack to try out the crowned heads stuff and a few other fantastic sticks. check out La imperiosa, jericho hill, espinosa l'aranga, don pepin garcia blue, la palina black, and padron 2000's

EDIT: oh yeah and some people have had customer service issues, and also they try to trick you into various cigar of the month clubs and harass you with phonecalls if you order from them. if they call you just firmly tell them you arent interested with any of that until they leave you alone

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
that being said I fully endorse using the thompsons 5pack to try out the crowned heads stuff and a few other fantastic sticks. check out La imperiosa, jericho hill, espinosa l'aranga, don pepin garcia blue, la palina black, and padron 2000's
La imperiosa, jericho hill, espinosa l'aranga, don pepin garcia blue, la palina black, and padron 2000's

on my list to try, now

And Voice Mail is a wonderful thing! " Hello (long pause) You have reached Al ......., sorry I am unable to take your call. Please leave a brief message" Amazing the things you hear on the other side sometimes.

squaresoft

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
La imperiosa, jericho hill, espinosa l'aranga, don pepin garcia blue, la palina black, and padron 2000's

on my list to try, now

And Voice Mail is a wonderful thing! " Hello (long pause) You have reached Al ......., sorry I am unable to take your call. Please leave a brief message" Amazing the things you hear on the other side sometimes.
in my opinion they are all considerably better than anything RP/AB/RyJ/Monte/etc. etc. have to offer and can be had at similar prices. also checking out cigar page wouldnt be a bad idea every now and then. they occasionally have some pretty great deals and usually feature a different brand every day.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I can recommend Crowned Heads, and Caldwell's, also Tabernacle. I am intrigued by Black Label Trading Company, I just bought a 5 pack sampler from them, so after I receive them I'll have more to say. I may have them by Friday, but I don't think I'll be smoking one ROTT.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And the list gets longer.
I'm signed up for Cigar Page, just haven't been excited by anything they have on sale yet.

squaresoft

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
yeah its not always great stuff, but it's just worth checking because every now and again they put some really great deals out...honestly just checking the cigar deal page on here is a really good idea...although it is dangerous

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Don't bother asking us for opinions. 1)Our palates aren't your palate, and b)you already own them. Stop buying and smoke through what you have. Make notes of which ones you liked, and which ones you didn't, and what kind of flavors you're getting that you like and don't like. That will help you moving forward. But at this point, you don't need us, you need to smoke as much as you can and get some experience.

squaresoft

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Don't bother asking us for opinions. 1)Our palates aren't your palate, and b)you already own them. Stop buying and smoke through what you have. Make notes of which ones you liked, and which ones you didn't, and what kind of flavors you're getting that you like and don't like. That will help you moving forward. But at this point, you don't need us, you need to smoke as much as you can and get some experience.
this is bad advice and you shouldn't listen to it some cigars are just better than others its an indisputable fact

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Preach

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh I'm all for the smoke em and decide for myself bit, just looking to add to the "purchase in a couple off months list".

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Oh I'm all for the smoke em and decide for myself bit, just looking to add to the "purchase in a couple off months list".
Also take a look at the "Today's smoke" thread it's a good way to see trends in what people on here are smoking. Not saying you will like them, but usually the guys on here are smoking some solid sticks.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Don't do that. Seriously.

Wait until you've smoked through most of what you have, you'll have a MUCH better idea of what you like to smoke and your palate will be a bit more desensitized so you'll be better able to appreciate what you smoke. You've bought a ton of stuff it looks like, smoke through it and wait to buy more.