What's new

A newb's journey

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
StogieNinja is speaking the truth to you here. He's telling you what we all wish we would have done when we started out. The first six months, you shouldn't buy more than 2 or 3 cigars at a time. Smoke those, determine what you like, and start searching out others similar to that. Refine what you like, and then don't be surprised when your palate changes in a few months. Resist the temptation to buy a bunch of cigars just because they're cheap, or the band is cool, or someone else told you they are awesome. You won't listen, though, and that's fine too. Most of us didn't either. Me included. You'll end up some time in the future with a bunch of cigars on your hands that you no longer care for, or never did.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had "smoke Friday's" where I would buy 2-3 cigars and I made a point to try something new every week. That really helped starting out

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
StogieNinja is speaking the truth to you here. He's telling you what we all wish we would have done when we started out. The first six months, you shouldn't buy more than 2 or 3 cigars at a time. Smoke those, determine what you like, and start searching out others similar to that. Refine what you like, and then don't be surprised when your palate changes in a few months. Resist the temptation to buy a bunch of cigars just because they're cheap, or the band is cool, or someone else told you they are awesome. You won't listen, though, and that's fine too. Most of us didn't either. Me included. You'll end up some time in the future with a bunch of cigars on your hands that you no longer care for, or never did.
Quoting this so you read it twice...since its the truth.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If I was trying to buy a new vehicle I believe I am at the "we're buying a truck" stage. Not yet sure what truck to buy or what truck offers the best value for the dollars but I know I like trucks. Preferably full bodied trucks with a dark Maduro or Sumatra type wrapper with a hint of pepper and load of cocoa inside.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a couple of weddings coming up this Spring and Summer. Good place to gift the stinkers to the groomsmen. Preferably the night before over drinks
Whatever you do, stay away from the auction sites. Unless you want your own warehouse full of dog rockets.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sure I'll find the dog poo on the list as I smoke through them. Already found a couple that came with the sample packs.

But I feel I had a successful auction compared to what I would have paid for the cigars I wanted to try anyway. About 56% of retail for similar size packs of the same cigars. I consolidated my shipments for a week so I saved a bunch of money on shipping by not doing individual purchases. I also didn't pay 10% sales tax. Looking at the prices at our B&Ms for singles and paying sales tax if I smoke two of a fiver I break even.

I earned that discount, stayed up late, did a lot of research, planned a lot, decided on maximum bids and stuck to them and walked away to find the next opportunity when the auction wasn't going my way. I'm retired and have the time to do the auctions the right way. If I was still worked for a living like a lot of you guys it would be a different story. I did learn more about the different brands of cigars in a week then I did the prior two months

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If I was trying to buy a new vehicle I believe I am at the "we're buying a truck" stage. Not yet sure what truck to buy or what truck offers the best value for the dollars but I know I like trucks. Preferably full bodied trucks with a dark Maduro or Sumatra type wrapper with a hint of pepper and load of cocoa inside.
You're not buying a truck. You're buying cigars. The initial investment doesn't need to be big. Start slow. Be patient. Smoke everything you can. Don't stock up yet.

Or go ahead and ignore everything we say. Make the big investment on stuff you haven't tried. What do we know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just an example of the thought process and where I am in developing my palate. I could have made the same point using ice cream as an example. I am listening to and appreciating all your advice.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
PS never been one to spend money I don't have. I agree my palate may change, if it does I'm in for a 5 pack, not a box that I hold onto for 6 months and then decide I no longer like.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
PSS my wife wants to buy a $400 bicycle. I guarantee I'll get more use and pleasure out of the cigars I just bought then she will with that darn bicycle.
A $400 bicycle? Price-wise she's basically buying Honduran Factory Overruns. Be glad she isn't doing bicycle research the way you're doing cigar research.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Personal preference I guess, but dealt with them a few years back and had some issues haven't been back since. I feel there are better vendors out there with better prices.
Not for the fiver frenzy (laranja, la imp, jh, random fiver) $4 each if you buy 20.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There again, like the cigars. She has to get started somewhere. Buy a bike, fall in love with riding and lose some weight. After that if it still strikes her fancy I guess the next bike up will be more expensive. But she will have proven to herself that it is something she likes to do and will have a better idea of what she wants. Right now she has to get the exercise. Come to think of it, I wonder if she said $ 600. Hell, I can't remember, normally only hear half of what she says anyway??

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I'll be pretty busy the next couple of days so I'm on the computer today.
Everybody knows I'm new to the whole cigar smoking thing and after a couple of weeks of building the humidor I just wanted to get opinions on my selections. I'm kind of stuck with these for the next 6 or 8 months so I hope I made the right decisions. Most where bought at auction, as sample packs or as Thompson 5 pack specials. I was able to keep my average price per cigar reasonable. Obviously I'm looking for med/full to full flavored cigars with a preference for Maduro wrappers.

Ageing Room Quatro F55 Concerto 6 x 50
Alec Bradley 90+ Seconds Torpedo
Alec Bradley Lineage Family Toro
Alec Bradley Nica Puro Bajito
Alec Bradley Post Embargo Belicoso
Alec Bradley Tempus Maduro Quadron 5.5 x 55
Alec Bradley The Mundial PL6 Perfec
Alec Bradley Black Market Vandal Toro
Asylum 13 Fifty Nic Puro 5x50 Robust
Ave Maria Divinia Perfecto 6 x 60
Brick House Maduro Robusto
Cao Brazilia Gol 5 x 56
CAO Gold Maduro robusto 6x60
Cuba Libre One Churchill
Drew Estates Nica Rustica short Robusto 4.5 x 50
Diesel Hair of the Dog Robusto
Diesel Rage Perfecto 6 x 60
Diesel Unholy Cocktail Torpedo
Diesel Unlimited D5
Diesel Wicked 6.2 x 56
Don Juan B&M H B Maduro Robusto
Don Juan B&M H B Sun Grown Robusto
HC Squared Habano Perfecto 6 x 60
Joya de Nicaragua Antano Consul 4.5x52
Kings Cask Robusto
LA Herencia Cabana Perfecto 6 x 60
Man of War Ruination Perfecto 6 x 60
Nica Libre box pressed Toro 6x54
Oliva Series V churchill V 7x52
Rocky Patel Broadleaf Robusto 5.5 x 50
Rocky Patel Brothers maduro Toro
R P Decade Sumatra Robusto
Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto
Rocky Patel edge Maduro Toro
Rocky Patel edge Nicaraguan Toro
Rocky Patel edge Sumatra Toro
Rocky Patel vintage seconds 1992 Torpedo
Rocky Patel Vintage Cameroon 2003 5x50 Robus
TLC H B Robusto

I know, to many RPs!!!! Maybe I know better now.
Stop buying all that crap. Seriously.

Thank me later. (I'm a little picky but honestly would not smoke anything on that list)