What's new

A newb's journey

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
A $400 bicycle? Price-wise she's basically buying Honduran Factory Overruns. Be glad she isn't doing bicycle research the way you're doing cigar research.
Nope, that would be the $97 denali ones.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
SOFC

Did you make that decision with the first cigars you purchased? You started with a developed palate and where able to identify what cigars fit your tastes ?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
SOFC

Did you make that decision with the first cigars you purchased? You started with a developed palate and where able to identify what cigars fit your tastes ?

I did trial and error too. But I didn't come on here and ask other people's opinion with a whole list of stuff that I've bought/am thinking of buying.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If that was the way I came across I apologize. Never meant to disrespect you. I do not remember saying anything negative about your opinions and the process you described. Just sharing my logic and thought process. I have copied all the recommendations provided by you and others into my workbook and will look at the suggestions in the future when I am in the market to buy more cigars. If I bought over expensive crap I will know in a couple of weeks, I did my best. Read a lot of reviews and got the best prices I could. After that I don't see what else I can do other then smoke em and see how I like them.

There again, sorry if came across in a manner I did not intend.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
If that was the way I came across I apologize. Never meant to disrespect you. I do not remember saying anything negative about your opinions and the process you described. Just sharing my logic and thought process. I have copied all the recommendations provided by you and others into my workbook and will look at the suggestions in the future when I am in the market to buy more cigars. If I bought over expensive crap I will know in a couple of weeks, I did my best. Read a lot of reviews and got the best prices I could. After that I don't see what else I can do other then smoke em and see how I like them.

There again, sorry if came across in a manner I did not intend.
No worries. I wasn't offended. Just trying to help out. There's a reason people who have been smoking for a while don't smoke what they started smoking. I wish someone had told me and I had skipped a step and saved thousands.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm only in for a couple of hundred so I'm way ahead of you. With my friends here on BOTL I'll narrow things down pretty quick!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As part of my newb journey I learned an important lesson about humidification yesterday. Your humidity beads can arrive from the seller over saturated. When mine came in they where droplets of water puddling in the bottom of the plastic pack. I split the beads in half, poured them into mesh bags and placed the bags into small "tuna" cans in the bottom of my coolidor. The coolidors that have been stable for several weeks using Boveda packs started running over 80% humidity. I have to remember that the beads only work both ways (add and remove water vapor) if the pack isn't saturated.

Are there any hints to reducing the humidity in the coolidors when it gets out of wack? The options I read about are to hit the beads with a blow dryer, place them in a low temp oven, remove some of the cedar place it in a low temp oven till dry and to use Damp Rid. High humidity may be an ongoing problem, we where over 85% day before yesterday in the house.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Just leave them to sit out on the counter for a while. Unless you currently reside in a tropical rainforest, they should dry up on their own soon enough.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I reside in a tropical rain forest, SE Louisiana. Cold front came through today and the humidity dropped below 65% so I opened the coolidors and they seem to be stabilizing a bit. Some of the beads are starting to turn opaque so I think the stockings are losing some of the excess dampness.

Thanks for the reply

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If I stay up past midnight my truck turns into a pumpkin, my dogs become mice and my feet don't fit my shoes. Taking ya'lls advice, haven't bought a cigar in two weeks!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
As part of my newb journey I learned an important lesson about humidification yesterday. Your humidity beads can arrive from the seller over saturated. When mine came in they where droplets of water puddling in the bottom of the plastic pack. I split the beads in half, poured them into mesh bags and placed the bags into small "tuna" cans in the bottom of my coolidor. The coolidors that have been stable for several weeks using Boveda packs started running over 80% humidity. I have to remember that the beads only work both ways (add and remove water vapor) if the pack isn't saturated.

Are there any hints to reducing the humidity in the coolidors when it gets out of wack? The options I read about are to hit the beads with a blow dryer, place them in a low temp oven, remove some of the cedar place it in a low temp oven till dry and to use Damp Rid. High humidity may be an ongoing problem, we where over 85% day before yesterday in the house.
What kind of beads did you get?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The ones from Cheaphumidors.com they sell by the 1/2lb bag for 19 bucks plus shipping