What's new

A Noob’s Venture into Firearms

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
This thread will be more of a journal/blog type for a new hobby that I'm about to pursue. No idea where this will go but let's see. :)

I've become pretty good friends with a guy who I met at one of the local B&Ms. His name is Jack and he's a retired Marine with decades of experience and knowledge of all things firearms. After many discussions, I told him that I'm interested in buying my wife and I both a CCW but we know absolutely zero about firearms. Jack offered to teach us safety, the basics, shooting, etc. and I'm pretty amped about it.

We haven't started anything yet but he did tell me not to go watch YouTube videos on the topic because he doesn't want me coming into the lessons with any ideas that some idiots "taught me" online. haha! We'll go through a few lessons and then I'll look at purchasing a CCW.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I typically suggest starting to learn the basics with some rifle shooting but I commend you both on getting out there and slinging lead and seeking someone with knowledge, not just online whackadoos.
I’m not sure what Jack’s methodology is but he may start us off with rifles, too. I’ll let you know.

I’m hoping to get our first lessons scheduled ASAP.

brentp

HabanaAddict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Start with "The Four Rules"

Never let your muzzle point at anything you wouldn't want to destroy, NEVER. Ever.
Keep your finger off the trigger.
Treat every gun as if it is Loaded . ALWAYS.
Be aware of your target, what is in front of it, and what is behind it.
AMEN Glassman! Those 4 basics would prevent 90+ percent of all.gun accidents.

Enjoy the new hobby. Great job on getting some quality instruction before diving in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Never let your muzzle point at anything you wouldn't want to destroy, NEVER. Ever.
Treat every gun as if it is loaded.

Good information above. Honestly if you doe know not much, some local shooting ranges have FREE INTRODUCTRY Classes to Firearms Safety, Firearms, and last how to hit the target. If you can find such a class it is a plus, as most are run by NRA Instructors. Check the NRA's Web-site.

I use to Volunteer at a Public Shooting Range, let say after 8 years, and over 3,200 hours I retired. Saw many new shooters with the wrong firearm. Because some person in a Gun Shop had to sell them a Semi Auto that has a larger, longer learning curve then a Revolver. Revolver are simpler then Semi Auto Colt, Smith & Wesson, Tauras, and Ruger) are quailty brands.

We use to run such a program at the range I voulenteer end at, as I described above, it was totally free, four hours long, targets, firearms, and ammo was all FREE. Ration to students to instructor was 1 to 3, so the program was well supervised.

The one thing I will tell you is pray to the man above you never have to draw your firearm on someone, or you never have to shoot someone. Also let me say in most State you are civilly, and criminally responsible for ever round you fire, and what it hits.

Please try and find that basic class I recommended, be it FREE or for a FEE. It will help you with the basics, and choosing the right firearm for CCW.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’m going to throw in my 2 cents here... I’ve owned a couple different handguns in all different calibers the smallest of which was a glock 42 (.380) which was VERY VERY finicky. I’d recommend learning the fundamentals on a full sized handgun before going down to something that is comfortably concealable. I currently have a cz po7 (9mm) which I absolutely love. Probably a bit big for ccw unless your a very large man. Or will be wearing bulky clothing at all times. The smaller guns can have a lot more “felt recoil” and can be very off putting to those who aren’t familiar with firearms. To put felt recoil into perspective I also owned a FNH fnp45 (.45cal) which shot much smoother than the tiny .380. even the round fired is much larger the gun was also huge , comparatively speaking.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
just had a accidental fatality here @ 3weeks ago at the local shooting range.
employee failed to clear gun before tinkering with it, Bang! shot customer dead.

look out for the potential clueless flakes like this who are co-occupying your location

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Learn to shot first, then worry about getting the best handgun for you. Safety is key. Also, invest in a tactical shooting course to prepare you in cAse you ever have to fire a weapon in self defense. You would be surprised at how many people say in classes that I teach, "I just want to have a gun. I don't think I could ever shoot anyone." If that is on someone's mind, they don't need to have a gun for protection. Lol.

As for what handgun to carry, my advice is don't take anyone's advise. After 25 years in law enforcement, now retird, I've learned a few things. Each person has different needs, body stature and fitment. What I carry may not be good for you and vice versa. Go to a range that has several different handguns and shoot many before you decide. Then, after you test the guns, talk to someone you know and trust about what might be good for you. Also, invest in a good quality carry rig.

As for my needs, I carried a Beretta 92f, a sig Sauer P220 or my HK USP 45 for duty weapons. Now I only carry a 1911 type (Springfield Armory or Kimber) 45 ACP or my Sig P238 in a DM Bullard holster. Doing that in, my muscle memory in the event of an emergency is sharp and I constantly train and shoot at least 4-6 times a month, especially if I am teaching a tactical shooting course. How you train what you will do when the Sh!t hits the fan.

If you need to know more, MDwest and I are here for you if you need advice, as well as some other very experienced brothers on here.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Welcome! Glad to have another shooter in the world. The 4 rules Glassman posted are legit... be safe and have fun. If you're going for a CCW and actually plan on carrying, I'd double down on the recommendation for training and regular practice sessions. Like others have posted, hit some local ranges, and get in some reps. Try different sizes/styles/calibers, don't buy anything without making sure it suits you. A concealed carry gun is almost by definition an exercise in compromise, so make sure you get something you're comfortable both wearing and shooting. A gun you love to shoot but you leave home because it's a pain in the ass to carry (sometimes literally a pain in the ass) is no good to you. A gun that's easy to carry but you would be better off throwing at an assailant instead of trying to shoot isn't much better. Might seem obvious, but lots of people seem to make that mistake when making their first purchase.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
When I text Jack to let him know that my wife and I wanted to pay him for lessons, his response was, and I quote:
"Great, but I will not teach either of you until you commit the following rules to memory..." and then he lists out these exact rules.

Go ahead and get some safety glasses, and I highly recommend Peltor range guard electronic ear protection. Great value, very helpful.
Thanks for the input - I've made a note on these.

What pistols what you shot in the past?
To be honest, I have fired a few pistols in the past but I have no idea what they were. I've also fired shotguns and rifles when hunting with friends but I know zero about any of that stuff.

Enjoy the new hobby. Great job on getting some quality instruction before diving in.
Thanks, Brent!

I hope he give you a jacket up gun and make you sight it in. Have fun but always safely
I'm clay in Jack's hands. Whatever route he chooses to teach my wife and I, we will follow. This guy is highly regarded in the area.

Please try and find that basic class I recommended, be it FREE or for a FEE. It will help you with the basics, and choosing the right firearm for CCW.
I appreciate the recommendation but honestly, I'm only doing what Jack tells me to do. :) He's teaching us the same stuff and it's from a guy who has more experience in not only teaching people but actually practicing and doing everything from the range to war.

I’d recommend learning the fundamentals on a full sized handgun before going down to something that is comfortably concealable.
That's what we are doing. I told him to teach us from the perspective that we know nothing and the end goal is to be comfortable with a weapon and buy a CCW. None of that will happen without Jack's "blessing" on what to do next from a lessons perspective all the way to purchasing. He's my mentor in this whole process.

just had a accidental fatality here @ 3weeks ago at the local shooting range. look out for the potential clueless flakes like this who are co-occupying your location
That sucks! Good info to keep in mind though! Always be aware of the surroundings!

Learn to shot first, then worry about getting the best handgun for you. Safety is key. Also, invest in a tactical shooting course to prepare you in cAse you ever have to fire a weapon in self defense. You would be surprised at how many people say in classes that I teach, "I just want to have a gun. I don't think I could ever shoot anyone." If that is on someone's mind, they don't need to have a gun for protection. Lol.

As for what handgun to carry, my advice is don't take anyone's advise. After 25 years in law enforcement, now retird, I've learned a few things. Each person has different needs, body stature and fitment. What I carry may not be good for you and vice versa. Go to a range that has several different handguns and shoot many before you decide. Then, after you test the guns, talk to someone you know and trust about what might be good for you. Also, invest in a good quality carry rig.

As for my needs, I carried a Beretta 92f, a sig Sauer P220 or my HK USP 45 for duty weapons. Now I only carry a 1911 type (Springfield Armory or Kimber) 45 ACP or my Sig P238 in a DM Bullard holster. Doing that in, my muscle memory in the event of an emergency is sharp and I constantly train and shoot at least 4-6 times a month, especially if I am teaching a tactical shooting course. How you train what you will do when the Sh!t hits the fan.

If you need to know more, MDwest and I are here for you if you need advice, as well as some other very experienced brothers on here.
Thanks, Bill! I greatly appreciate the input and Jack is teaching us along the same lines as you mentioned here. Purchasing our first handguns will be down the road and with Jack's guidence. That being said, I already made a mental note of you and @mdwest (and a few others) as guys with knowledge to PM for additional input. Thanks again!

Whatever you do, don't forget that it's all about the PMAG.
That's what I'm talking about!!! hahahaha

Welcome! Glad to have another shooter in the world. The 4 rules Glassman posted are legit... be safe and have fun. If you're going for a CCW and actually plan on carrying, I'd double down on the recommendation for training and regular practice sessions. Like others have posted, hit some local ranges, and get in some reps. Try different sizes/styles/calibers, don't buy anything without making sure it suits you. A concealed carry gun is almost by definition an exercise in compromise, so make sure you get something you're comfortable both wearing and shooting. A gun you love to shoot but you leave home because it's a pain in the ass to carry (sometimes literally a pain in the ass) is no good to you. A gun that's easy to carry but you would be better off throwing at an assailant instead of trying to shoot isn't much better. Might seem obvious, but lots of people seem to make that mistake when making their first purchase.
Thanks man! Good input!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Here is an idea to consider, according to FBI stats, most Police shooting involve ther Cops firing 3 Rounds Bullets or less. Honestly you don't need a lot of bullets, shop placement is the key to stopping a threat.

I did the Law Dog thing for two year in the 1970's when most of the Law Dog carried revolvers. There are a lot of old police revolver that can be had for a good deal. If I was you and looking for a first hand gun, I would look for a Smity & Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, or Model 19 Combat Magnum. With a 4" Barrel.

Just throwing out another idea. Ask your buddy about Wheel-guns.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0

AMEN TO THIS!!!
Treat them like the Ten Commandments.
Safety, safety, safety.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Purchasing our first handguns will be down the road and with Jack's guidence. That being said, I already made a mental note of you and @mdwest (and a few others) as guys with knowledge to PM for additional input. Thanks again!
Feel free to PM anytime..

Im not the be-all to end-all expert on all things "shooting".. but I've got a pretty decent foundation.. and have spent a good bit of time both professionally and personally behind a gun..

I'm happy to try to help with anything you need..