What's new

A Noob’s Venture into Firearms

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I compete in both USPSA and IDPA and fire a lot of rounds each year. By FAR the biggest limiting factor I see in shooters who struggle is their grip. Get your grip right and you can shoot any pistol without difficulty.
Here's a couple videos from guys who do a really good job covering how to grip a pistol correctly.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just now seen this thread. Hope you both got your CCW. If you did have you both sat down and discussed if you would actually be able to protect yourselves or someone else in danger if the time came? Everybody says they can but can you really? Not only does it take training to become proficient with a side arm but you also need to mentaly train yourself. Don’t just practice standing in front of a target. Put some mobility into the practice and see just how much different it is with the blood flowing. Learn to control your adrenaline. Trust me, it’s a hell of a thing when you have a person in your sights and to be in someone’s sights. As for a ccw weapon I prefer a 9mm. Carried a 40mm as a duty weapon for 16yrs.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Just now seen this thread. Hope you both got your CCW. If you did have you both sat down and discussed if you would actually be able to protect yourselves or someone else in danger if the time came? Everybody says they can but can you really? Not only does it take training to become proficient with a side arm but you also need to mentaly train yourself. Don’t just practice standing in front of a target. Put some mobility into the practice and see just how much different it is with the blood flowing. Learn to control your adrenaline. Trust me, it’s a hell of a thing when you have a person in your sights and to be in someone’s sights. As for a ccw weapon I prefer a 9mm. Carried a 40mm as a duty weapon for 16yrs.
Excellent post. I shot .45 for several years and on paper .40 seemed like a great all around round. Once I purchased a .40 I wasn't able to shoot it well enough to feel comfortable carrying it, just way too snappy and I didn't have the time and money to shoot enough to master it. Converted to 9mm and will never look back. With modern ammo, the 9mm is a very effective defensive round imo and the cost of target ammo makes it reasonable enough for me to get out and train more.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
so whats the update?
completely forgot about this thread...

The 35 Whelen I built on the VZ24 (Large Ring Mauser) action has long since been done, and is now my wifes preferred "big" bang stick..

The 7x57 is also now done.. I took some lessons learned on the VZ24 and applied them to the Small Ring Mauser action I used.. the 7x57 was a much more difficult project.. nothing seemed to work right.. getting the barrel to fit correctly was a much bigger PIA.. cutting the chamber was a much bigger PIA.. the magazine required a good bit of tweaking to get it to feed right.. the extractor had to be replaced.. etc..etc.. but.. in the end, it turned out to be a pretty nice rifle and will be my primary "deer" gun this season.. it will hold sub MOA groups with some 150gr handloads I have brewed up for it.. and should be devistating on pigs/deer/elk..

And now Ive got yet another mauser build going on.. I have one more LR mauser action on hand (another pristine VZ24).. and when I went to the Shilen Swap Meet last weekend I got a great deal on a .270 match grade barrel already cut for a LR mauser action ($170 out the door).. so, it looks like I will be building the wife another "deer" rifle over the summer.. she wants this one to be all "premium" components.. Hopefully I dont botch it up..

The 2 AR15 stripped lowers are still sitting in the safe waiting on a build.. Theyve been taking a backseat to the bolt action builds which I find more fun and challenging.. I'll get to both of them before the year is out though.. the first one I think I will turn into a 300BLK.. not sure about the second one.. probably just a vanilla 16" barreled 5.56

Pic of the 7x57:

Stock photo of what it used to look like prior to being re-born as a hunting rifle (although mine was MUCH more rusty, the stock was broken, the barrel was completely pitted, the sights were literally smashed and unusable, etc..etc.. mine wasnt even worth being a "wall hanger" anymore.. the only thing left on it that could be saved was the action...

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
YEARS LATER!

Yesterday, I took the conceal carry class - spoiler alert: I passed. Learned a LOT in the class and had a great instructor.

I celebrated passing the class by purchasing my first firearm. Found an incredible deal on a S&W M&P 9mm online and also added the TLR6. I also purchased a custom IWB Kydex holster.

I'll post pics when it arrives but it seems to be a pretty popular gun as everyone I've said something about it to has said either, "I have that gun - love it" or "I had that gun - loved it". So I imagine you guys already know what it looks like.

Next thing to purchase will be a safe for the nightstand and then a safe for Betty (my vehicle).

I'm also going to spend a lot of time at the Range to get familiar/comfortable with the gun and then go for the Enhanced Concealed Carry.

Down the slope I go...

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
YEARS LATER!

Yesterday, I took the conceal carry class - spoiler alert: I passed. Learned a LOT in the class and had a great instructor.

I celebrated passing the class by purchasing my first firearm. Found an incredible deal on a S&W M&P 9mm online and also added the TLR6. I also purchased a custom IWB Kydex holster.

I'll post pics when it arrives but it seems to be a pretty popular gun as everyone I've said something about it to has said either, "I have that gun - love it" or "I had that gun - loved it". So I imagine you guys already know what it looks like.

Next thing to purchase will be a safe for the nightstand and then a safe for Betty (my vehicle).

I'm also going to spend a lot of time at the Range to get familiar/comfortable with the gun and then go for the Enhanced Concealed Carry.

Down the slope I go...
Good for you Brandon. Shooting is a great hobby and knowing if you ever need it to protect yourself and your family you will have increased your odds of survival. I carry almost everywhere, have one on my nightstand and another in my arm rest in the car. I hope and pray I never have to use any of them, but won't hesitate if needed. A gun is a lot of fun, but should always be taken very seriously and safety must always be at the forefront.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
The M&P Shield arrived today! I’ve never been so scared of myself in my life! haha

I'll get pics up later. At this point, the TLR6 is still showing "processing" on the order so I don't have it yet. However, I'll be at the range as soon as possible as often as possible. :)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Enjoy this new adventure! It's a lot more fun than most people will ever let on to.

If you ever have questions, feel free to PM. I spend nearly all of my free time behind a handgun and, starting this year, also get paid to do so .

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The M&P Shield arrived today! I’ve never been so scared of myself in my life! haha

I'll get pics up later. At this point, the TLR6 is still showing "processing" on the order so I don't have it yet. However, I'll be at the range as soon as possible as often as possible. :)
Congrats Brandon. 2 very basic thing to burn into your head is ALWAYS treat a gun like it is loaded and be aware what the muzzle is pointed at all times. And NEVER put you finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot something.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Congrats Brandon. 2 very basic thing to burn into your head is ALWAYS treat a gun like it is loaded and be aware what the muzzle is pointed at all times. And NEVER put you finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot something.
This^^^^^!!!!!!

Except I think about it like this.

"Never point the barrel at anything you don't want to DIE!!!! And never ever ever ever touch the trigger until you are ready for something to DIE!!!"

Barrel sweeps are still dangerous as hell and make you look like an amateur!

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
@bwhite220 CONGRATS!!

Also be mindful of what's on the other side of your walls in your house! Walls don't stop shit, especially FMJ. Or below you and the floor, or above you and the ceiling.

I also believe in routine. I always load and unload my pistol in the same place in my house, period. It's the safest place in my house (all concrete). I also NEVER set my pistol down anywhere laoaded or unloaded. Bad habit with kids around. It's either on me or in my bedside safe. RULES ARE GOOD!!

Stupid Tapatalk

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
As I said before, the M&P 9 came in on Thursday. I haven't posted a picture yet because... well... I've been at the gun range. (y)

Here are some pics from today. It was beautiful outside so I rode the bike down to the range and fired 200 rounds through it.

fullsizeoutput_1704.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1705.jpeg

My favorite part is emptying the last rounds at the guy's genitals. haha

I also swung by the new cigar shop in town for a smoke and some Blanton's.
57618285162__AB56DF64-3070-4282-9FD0-92F3AF8B0C1A.JPG

Hopefully I can grill some steak tonight and I'll complete the cycle for machoism. haha

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Looks like a great day Brandon. Did you have any fail to feed (FTF) or fail to eject (FTE)?
200 rounds should have it broken in.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I had 6 FTFs and a freaking blast.
Have you had a chance to get to the range anymore? Those FTF may be from breaking it in, or your gun doesn't like that ammo. 6 would be considered a LOT of FTF in 200 rounds. When you start carrying you will want ammo that your gun will cycle and go BANG! every time without fail. And it's not uncommon for a gun to like certain ammo better than others.