What's new

Aaaaaaand hipster cigar design has jumped the shark.

Famous Smoke

Retailer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
9f028175872915923359efab24f2eceae3e4e1358c9ec086fa9bbbbe35a79e8f.jpg

Aww man, you had to screenshot MY post! :cool: Chinese Finger Traps are so mainstream and so 2000-and-late though. I think this one is a fun gimmick and the cigar is actually really tasty.

I can't hate on this for them wanting to have a little fun with the branding. And I hate a lot of stuff. Check my high school yearbook photo:
2u71vuo.jpg

Plus, be careful, being anti-hipster is the new hipster.
moreyouknow.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Decided to redact my comments until I get a confirmation from a principal at Famous as to this being an actually product... will update.

BR,

STS

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Touché, Famous.

Now, where'd you find my FB profile pic??

But seriously. Where is the line now? Will we see a trucker "pretty lady" cigar with a chrome box? A Clash of Clans line with a 4" Goblin and an 80 RG Dragon Stick? I hear Hawaiian Poké is all the rage-- how bout a tuna-and-soy-sauce stogie?

I guess when you feel like you've got all the old farts buying the classic brands, you have to try to appeal to Millennials. But this shit is getting bananas. Instantly I feel they are not about aging tobacco and blending it artfully. I feel they are about marketing and selling, first and only.

Side note: if you really really want to tempt more federal regulation, cigar makers, keep on with the cigars that look like they're aimed at children.

Rant over!

- Old Fart Paul

ps Glad you shipped my Las Cal already ;)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I actually have a concern when anyone brands any tobacco product in any way that could be associated with children, toys, cartoons... given the current regulatory climate I think it is important for us in the industry to be extremely thoughtfully about our packaging and marketing choices.

BR,

STS
Took the words out of my mouth while I was writing them, Steve!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
But seriously. Where is the line now? Will we see a trucker "pretty lady" cigar with a chrome box? A Clash of Clans line with a 4" Goblin and an 80 RG Dragon Stick?
Dude, you just gave away two million-dollar ideas for free on the internet.

I hear Hawaiian Poké is all the rage-- how bout a tuna-and-soy-sauce stogie?
Well, we already have a Musubi cigar...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Touché, Famous.

Now, where'd you find my FB profile pic??

But seriously. Where is the line now? Will we see a trucker "pretty lady" cigar with a chrome box? A Clash of Clans line with a 4" Goblin and an 80 RG Dragon Stick? I hear Hawaiian Poké is all the rage-- how bout a tuna-and-soy-sauce stogie?

I guess when you feel like you've got all the old farts buying the classic brands, you have to try to appeal to Millennials. But this shit is getting bananas. Instantly I feel they are not about aging tobacco and blending it artfully. I feel they are about marketing and selling, first and only.

Side note: if you really really want to tempt more federal regulation, cigar makers, keep on with the cigars that look like they're aimed at children.

Rant over!

- Old Fart Paul

ps Glad you shipped my Las Cal already ;)
Hey now, just cause I'm young doesn't mean I buy into the hype of these things

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Paul and all,

My gut reaction was identical to yours hence what I originally typed... I felt the same way when I say that Uncle Lee Cereal Box idea that was sent out to press, but Davidoff quickly and wisely so yanked the product package concept.

I deleted/redacted my comment because I realized it was wrong for me to be critical of something just because I saw it on the Internet in forum when -I- do have ready access to the principals at the company to first verify the legitimacy of such a product. So I sent them an email and after I speak with someone there I will then offer my opinion.

I suspect it is a bad joke by some underling - will update when I know.

BR,

STS

Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Paul and all,

My gut reaction was identical to yours hence what I originally typed... I felt the same way when I say that Uncle Lee Cereal Box idea that was sent out to press, but Davidoff quickly and wisely so yanked the product package concept.

I deleted/redacted my comment because I realized it was wrong for me to be critical of something just because I saw it on the Internet in forum when -I- do have ready access to the principals at the company to first verify the legitimacy of such a product. So I sent them an email and after I speak with someone there I will then offer my opinion.

I suspect it is a bad joke by some underling - will update when I know.

BR,

STS
It's not a joke, saw it on halfwheel and cigar coop

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I guess I have a couple thoughts.

First of all, I think that it's incredible that we have to even worry about this. That we live in a day and age where we have to worry about a product obviously meant to be nostalgic (and I'll even lump the 2guys' Tootsie Roll cigars into this discussion) is going to have adverse affects on children is utterly stupid. Anyone should be able to see that this is obviously not meant to draw children into cigar smoking, and if that packaging in a cigar shop or online is going to be the cause of a young child's nicotine addiction, that child's parents are either absent, utterly neglectful, or worse, and the kid's chance at life was already over before it began.

That being said, we DO live in that day and age. We DO have to worry about that perception, and we DO have to worry about increased regulation, because the anti-smoking lobby is great at lumping our hobby in with the rest of the tobacco industry, and spinning health facts in negligent and misleading ways. That "nostalgic" packaging WILL be used against us in the court of public opinion, and possibly in actual court. That some cigar companies are not taking that more than seriously is beyond mystifying to me.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

This is way more hipster than a gimmicky poke at nostalgia...

Why do gimmicks now equate with "Hipster." Gimmicks have been around a lot longer, and I tend to think that the two ideas are not synonymous with one another.

Hipsters adopted irony, not the other way around.

(I had a better response than this, but tapatalk ate my homework.)

Last edited:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
+1 to ninja's comments..

Easiest way for me to deal with it... is to vote with my wallet..

I dont care if these things get reviewed consistently as 95's by 15 different magazines, bloggers, and online reviewers.. and end up being the CA cigar of the year..

I will never spend a dime of my money supporting them (to include their other product lines).. and will encourage everyone I know to do the same..

Putting together a marketing package like this.. you are either oblivious to the environment you are operating in.... which doesnt speak well at all to you or your company.... or.. you dont care.. which speaks even worse.. (leads me to believe you are in it to make a quick buck.. and couldnt care less if the industry and/or the consumers are damaged in the long haul)..

either way.. there are plenty of other companies out there with a different sense of awareness and responsibility that is more in line with my own.. that I will continue to support instead of these guys (tasty cigar or not)..