What's new

Aaaaaaand hipster cigar design has jumped the shark.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Does anyone recall the candy bar pressed sticks packaged to look like a chocolate bar? I feel like we're seeing the same thing here.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0

This is way more hipster than a gimmicky poke at nostalgia...
Agreed...

I dont have a problem with hipster... or even gimmicky pokes at nostalgia..

I do have a problem with using a nostaligic childrens toy as a marketing device though.. (my 9 year old just got a set of chinese finger cuffs at Chuck-e-cheese a couple of weeks ago.. so.. I dont even know if that fingercuffs qualify as nostaligic.. theyre still pretty common... just the package artwork and graphics are nostalgic..)..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Does anyone recall the candy bar pressed sticks packaged to look like a chocolate bar? I feel like we're seeing the same thing here.
+1111111000000000000000

thats exactly where I am going with my comments..

it is WAY out of line (IMO).. and does nothing to help the industry or the consumer.. and only adds fuel to the fire of the anti tobacco lobby, legislators, etc..

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Agreed...

I dont have a problem with hipster... or even gimmicky pokes at nostalgia..

I do have a problem with using a nostaligic childrens toy as a marketing device though.. (my 9 year old just got a set of chinese finger cuffs at Chuck-e-cheese a couple of weeks ago.. so.. I dont even know if that fingercuffs qualify as nostaligic.. theyre still pretty common... just the package artwork and graphics are nostalgic..)..
Dave, see my comment about the chocolate bar? (Edit: I see that you did.)

I'm totally with you. I think anything that can be construed as "childish" should be bared from this industry. Heck, even tatuaje's little monster cards were in bad taste.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
That was the Tootsie Roll cigar I referenced in my post, launched by 2Guys. I think Dave eventually removed it from the website and decided to only sell it in the B&M, where minors wouldn't even see it. But yeah, the entire internet cigar community was (justifiably) angered by that one.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I think that was the Tootsie Roll cigar I referenced in my post, launched by 2Guys. I think Dave eventually removed it from the website and now only sells it in the B&M, where minors won't even see it. But yeah, the entire internet cigar community was (justifiably) angered by that one.
Was that it? I'm thinking this was 3 pressed sticks, wrapped like an old school Kit Kat, and was going to be some wacky IPCPR-only thing...

See how quickly I put that abomination out of my head?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
You're thinking of this sean

I think this thread is an example of exactly what they are going for with the packaging. They will claim it's "playful" or "nostalgic", but truth be told it is just marketing to get hype going.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not one to be critical of others packaging, hipster vs. old school vs new classic etc... I find Dion's stuff an interesting blend of classic old school and nostalgic and it typically makes me think... never really struck me as "hipster"... I like it personally. When it comes to packaging I like the diversity.

My issue is a simple one: Given the current climate, no one in our industry should be creating or selling any cigar packaged in any way that could be construed as associated with children, toys, candy, etc. I can already see an anti-zealot holding this box aloft as a prime example of why we need to be regulated. Fair, unfair, whatever, it does not matter - the reality is the reality.

There are some legacy products in the marketplace that could be construed incorrectly, but they were created in the past and none of them are nearly as blatant as this. Anyone that today makes such a product new or sells such a new product is doing a serious disservice to our industry - period! And I am hopeful that Danny Moya will reconsider and change the packaging of this product.

BR,

STS

ps: Also, they would have to pull it regardless, no way will the MB attorneys not go after them for the IP-related issues - just simply a very bad idea all the way around.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a great way to bring unnecessary attention to the industry. Look what putting toys in happy meals has done for fast food.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
You're thinking of this sean

I think this thread is an example of exactly what they are going for with the packaging. They will claim it's "playful" or "nostalgic", but truth be told it is just marketing to get hype going.
Oh geez. I didn't even know about that one. SMH. I just went to google it to see when it was made, and came across this one:

http://www.casasfumando.com/fox-cigar-bar-foxtoberfest-updates-exclusive-cigar-blends/

Candy bar packaging.... and a dadgum cartoon fox on the band.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
ps: Also, they would have to pull it regardless, no way will the MB attorneys not go after them for the IP-related issues - just simply a very bad idea all the way around.
Absolutely. I hadn't even noticed the spoofed "MB" logo until another brother mentioned it here.

i believe any kid thats works and save up $150 for a box of cigars damn well deserves to smoke them.
j/k
Now that's funny :cigar:

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
All marketing is designed for is generating a buzz. This has done exactly what they set out to do. Here we are 2 pages deep into talking about a product that none of us have an intention of buying. I saw that pic on ig myself and just kept scrolling.
As for the anti tobacco lobyists, if its not this it will be something else. They will always find something to spin.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
All marketing is designed for is generating a buzz. This has done exactly what they set out to do. Here we are 2 pages deep into talking about a product that none of us have an intention of buying. I saw that pic on ig myself and just kept scrolling.
As for the anti tobacco lobyists, if its not this it will be something else. They will always find something to spin.
But you do recognize the difference between a good buzz and a bad buzz, yeah? I mean, I'm not so sure I'm ever going to buy something of theirs considering this is my first (in my recollection) time hearing of these guys.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
But you do recognize the difference between a good buzz and a bad buzz, yeah? I mean, I'm not so sure I'm ever going to buy something of theirs considering this is my first (in my recollection) time hearing of these guys.
You know the old saying, any press is still press.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
You know the old saying, any press is still press.
Right. But the next time they come out with something, I'll be asking myself "do i try this stick from the yahoos that made 'fingercuffs' or do I try this other thing from a company that has never f'ed with gimmicks and other types of douchebaggery?"

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh geez. I didn't even know about that one. SMH. I just went to google it to see when it was made, and came across this one:

http://www.casasfumando.com/fox-cigar-bar-foxtoberfest-updates-exclusive-cigar-blends/

Candy bar packaging.... and a dadgum cartoon fox on the band.
The fox is the companies logo... http://foxtobacco.com/gilbert/

And FWIW those lanceros were really good smokes. Never saw the packaging though. They should have gone a different direction there.