What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already posted this in the pics of your sticks thread, but I wanted to post it here as well. Compare what I started rolling with what I have learned to do now:

Constant practice and pushing yourself past your comfort zone produces results. As easy as all the videos and pros make it look, it sure as hell can be some hard work. Don't get frustrated and don't quit. The more you try, the better you will become little by little. You may not be able to see the results yourself easily until you take a look back at where you started.
Sweet roll!

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Story time... I have read through all of this thread and some of the others relating to home rolling and I must say I am very impressed with everyone's progress and more importantly I was inspired to attempt (again) rolling my own. When I first tried it 5 years ago or so, I had less than desirable results... huge cigars with a super loose draw. Imagine the ugliest wrap job you can think of... yeah, worse than that. Anyway, after following BrewinHooligan on Instagram and messaging him last winter, I was inspired to attempt it again. Bought some leaf, slightly better results, but still bad. Fast forward to last Tuesday after starting this thread from the beginning, I decided to give it another go actually applying the knowledge you guys have shared and I finally have something I'm proud of. Without further ado, I present to you some test blends I've been working on with what little leaf I have currently.

First 5 test blends all using PA Oscuro wrapper and Dominican binder. Fillers are different variations of Nic ligero, viso, and seco, and Dom. seco. All leaves from LO. Obviously no mold was used (just ordered one though). I used the paper towel method. Blends 1, 2, and 3 were done last Tuesday, 4 and 5 were yesterday. Notice the capping progress already, lol.

Practicing my wrapping by replacing the wrapper on the BLB. The one in the middle is the original Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. I replaced the wrappers on the other two with the PA Oscuro. Three on the right are included in the pictured above.

Another re-wrap of a cigar with a damaged wrapper again with the PA Oscuro. Wrapping cigars that were pressed in a mold are so much easier.

Closed foot of the above re-wrap job:

And finally, played around with a little pig tail/blob head.

Thanks for hanging with me on this large post. But mostly, thanks for all the guidance you didn't even know you were giving me. Looking forward to sharing with you my progress! Thanks, guys!!!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Very well done @jtriddle!!!! Glad you were able to gain some knowledge from our group and you've made some damn fine progress without a mold!!
Thank you! Means a lot. Can't wait to order some more leaf and try out some blends from the test blends thread.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Story time... I have read through all of this thread and some of the others relating to home rolling and I must say I am very impressed with everyone's progress and more importantly I was inspired to attempt (again) rolling my own. When I first tried it 5 years ago or so, I had less than desirable results... huge cigars with a super loose draw. Imagine the ugliest wrap job you can think of... yeah, worse than that. Anyway, after following BrewinHooligan on Instagram and messaging him last winter, I was inspired to attempt it again. Bought some leaf, slightly better results, but still bad. Fast forward to last Tuesday after starting this thread from the beginning, I decided to give it another go actually applying the knowledge you guys have shared and I finally have something I'm proud of. Without further ado, I present to you some test blends I've been working on with what little leaf I have currently.

First 5 test blends all using PA Oscuro wrapper and Dominican binder. Fillers are different variations of Nic ligero, viso, and seco, and Dom. seco. All leaves from LO. Obviously no mold was used (just ordered one though). I used the paper towel method. Blends 1, 2, and 3 were done last Tuesday, 4 and 5 were yesterday. Notice the capping progress already, lol.

Practicing my wrapping by replacing the wrapper on the BLB. The one in the middle is the original Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. I replaced the wrappers on the other two with the PA Oscuro. Three on the right are included in the pictured above.

Another re-wrap of a cigar with a damaged wrapper again with the PA Oscuro. Wrapping cigars that were pressed in a mold are so much easier.

Closed foot of the above re-wrap job:

And finally, played around with a little pig tail/blob head.

Thanks for hanging with me on this large post. But mostly, thanks for all the guidance you didn't even know you were giving me. Looking forward to sharing with you my progress! Thanks, guys!!!
Looking awesome @jtriddle ! Even though I have a mold, I still roll in newspaper when I want something in a different size. Learning with paper first seems to lend some flexibility. Enjoy the journey!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Blake! I've been missing your rolling posts lately, anytime i see them i crave homerolling and start prepping binder hahaha

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Lol, thanks, I appreciate that. I haven't done any new vitolas, capping techniques, blends, or labels lately. Just rolling more of the things I've already done before and didn't want to clog the bandwidth. Anyway, here's something.