What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The bl holds moisture longer but requires more moisture to relax...agree on stretching it as tight as it will go and leave plenty of dry time or fill with predominantly lingerie (fucking auto correct...lol) LIGERO for equality in the slow burn. The Med blm dries out a bit faster :p. Happy NY to ya!
Ahhh, I never thought of upping the ligero with the BL but that makes perfect sense. Keep the slow burn in and out. Thanks for sharing the idea!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ahhh, I never thought of upping the ligero with the BL but that makes perfect sense. Keep the slow burn in and out. Thanks for sharing the idea!
Something else I do to expidite the wrapper dry out is rag roll for one night...get a dry wash cloth and roll the stick in it for one night... the rag must wrap all the way around to ensure equal dehydration on all sides of the stick. Xox

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I haven't tried that maduro leaf you're getting. If you do place an order of that leaf and want to swap a few leaves for some of the broadleaf I work with let me know as I'm curious how different that maduro is from what I'm using but not wanting to commit to an order right now.
9505 5145 3411 7012 0701 09
Should land 1/14, enjoy rolling with the maduro!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just told Michelle that I saw on FB that Tabanero says it's gonna cost'em $80-$150,000 for FDA approval. She said, "Approval of what, exactly?" And I said, "That's a good question." And she, putting on the voice of a fatcat bureaucrat, goes, "Sorry, son, this ligero doesn't go with this volado. Approval denied!"

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I just told Michelle that I saw on FB that Tabanero says it's gonna cost'em $80-$120,000 for FDA approval. She said, "Approval of what, exactly?" And I said, "That's a good question." And she, putting on the voice of a fatcat bureaucrat, goes, "Sorry, son, this ligero doesn't go with this volado. Approval denied!"
Now that's funny!!!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So I finally tried to roll a few sticks last night after a long time away from rolling. I was very rusty, not that I ever got very good to start with. It was the first time I tried the mold I have. 48 RG I think it is.

Anyway, It was very interesting trying to roll to a specific size. What's even more interesting, is that I have no clue if I rolled too tight, too loose or just right! Most of them I had to squeeze into the mold fairly tightly. One very tightly. I rolled last night and when I rotated them this morning, still have to squeeze a little but not quite as bad. I also noticed the wrapper seems a little loose on the stick - it was squished out on the sides. I managed to get most of it inside the mold when I rotated so hopefully that'll work out with another rotation or two.

I think my biggest challenge right now will be bunching the right size for the mold, and having the size consistent through the entire stick. So that's it really. Just wanted to share my latest mini adventure in rolling.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I think my biggest challenge right now will be bunching the right size for the mold, and having the size consistent through the entire stick. So that's it really. Just wanted to share my latest mini adventure in rolling.
So @blisscigarco always has a commercial example of the size he wants to roll next to him. This way, you can feel the size of the bunch and compare as you're rolling.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I finally tried to roll a few sticks last night after a long time away from rolling. I was very rusty, not that I ever got very good to start with. It was the first time I tried the mold I have. 48 RG I think it is.

Anyway, It was very interesting trying to roll to a specific size. What's even more interesting, is that I have no clue if I rolled too tight, too loose or just right! Most of them I had to squeeze into the mold fairly tightly. One very tightly. I rolled last night and when I rotated them this morning, still have to squeeze a little but not quite as bad. I also noticed the wrapper seems a little loose on the stick - it was squished out on the sides. I managed to get most of it inside the mold when I rotated so hopefully that'll work out with another rotation or two.

That's what bunching is, in a nutshell. If I bunch a hundred 48s, then go off 48s for a month and bunch 44s, 38s, and 50s, and then I come back to the 48 I'm gonna screw it up at first, in terms of density.
I check draw on my bunch before I even put it in the mold. If the draw's tight before I molded it, it ain't right. A proper bunch draws lightly before the mold, squeezes in without feeling too tight, and finds the perfect draw through the molding process.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm in the same boat. Sometimes you just need to kiss the cigar, other times it's way too tight. I think I error consistently of being too loose which is much less enjoyable than I thought it would be. I found it just takes a lot of practice. I'm better now than I was 3 weeks ago, and I'll roll maybe 4 sticks every other day or so for practice. I also count my leaves now and know for a 54 ring a ligero leaf, a viso leaf, and 2-3 Seco leaves depending on size gets me close to where I need to be.

Now if I only knew what to do with the mound of scraps I have accumulated. Seems almost criminal to throw them out, but why sandwich it if long filler makes the best cigar, you know?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Man, don't you love picking up one of your sticks from the drying board and looking at the "foot," and there's that little perfect circle of dark-brown ligero dead-center, like that infamous chart?
My fav feeling in the whole world

Well... maybe not the whole world but it is awesome

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Man, don't you love picking up one of your sticks from the drying board and looking at the "foot," and there's that little perfect circle of dark-brown ligero dead-center, like that infamous chart?
So... question for you @blisscigarco, when you test the draw on a bunch and it's too tight, how do you fix it before you wrap it?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Now if I only knew what to do with the mound of scraps I have accumulated. Seems almost criminal to throw them out, but why sandwich it if long filler makes the best cigar, you know?
Yeah, that's a problem, unless you have like a paying sideline of someone who wants to buy tons of sandwiches off you. I use it as "packing peanuts" when I mail cigars to people (cigars go in baggie with Boveda, then that goes into a box padded with leaf scraps). How about this solution: gradually fill a huge plastic trash bag with it, which is stashed in some corner of the garage, with the intention of "doing something with it eventually," and then after a year or two chuck the whole thing in the dumpster.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm in the same boat. Sometimes you just need to kiss the cigar, other times it's way too tight. I think I error consistently of being too loose which is much less enjoyable than I thought it would be. I found it just takes a lot of practice. I'm better now than I was 3 weeks ago, and I'll roll maybe 4 sticks every other day or so for practice. I also count my leaves now and know for a 54 ring a ligero leaf, a viso leaf, and 2-3 Seco leaves depending on size gets me close to where I need to be.

Yeah, that's a problem, unless you have like a paying sideline of someone who wants to buy tons of sandwiches off you. I use it as "packing peanuts" when I mail cigars to people (cigars go in baggie with Boveda, then that goes into a box padded with leaf scraps). How about this solution: gradually fill a huge plastic trash bag with it, which is stashed in some corner of the garage, with the intention of "doing something with it eventually," and then after a year or two chuck the whole thing in the dumpster.
I've actually ran across a guy on another forum that has been talking to me about turning my scrap leaf and stems into nasal snuff. Not like I need another hobby or another nicotine delivery system but I also hate waste and there could easily be a demand from people for the "stuff"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tobacco scraps are just as flavorful as the long filler.(after all it is the same tobacco) If rolled improperly the draw can be problematic (too tight usually). I case the scraps so there not too dry and roll the cigar 'free hand' without using a mold. This way you can feel the right amount of pressure to apply. The cigars come out every bit as good as the long filler version but does require a small amount of practice to get it right. One loose handful of scraps is the amount I use.

Just remember... if the cigar comes out wrong, in any way, unravel it and do it over again till you get it right. It's not difficult to produce perfect cigars made from scrap with a little practice and they smoke just as good.

This goes for long filler cigars also. If it's rolled too tight then you screwed up. Simply unravel it and do it over correctly. You end up with a good cigar AND you'll learn something as well.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The tobacco scraps are just as flavorful as the long filler.(after all it is the same tobacco) If rolled improperly the draw can be problematic (too tight usually). I case the scraps so there not too dry and roll the cigar 'free hand' without using a mold. This way you can feel the right amount of pressure to apply. The cigars come out every bit as good as the long filler version but does require a small amount of practice to get it right. One loose handful of scraps is the amount I use.

Just remember... if the cigar comes out wrong, in any way, unravel it and do it over again till you get it right. It's not difficult to produce perfect cigars made from scrap with a little practice and they smoke just as good.

This goes for long filler cigars also. If it's rolled too tight then you screwed up. Simply unravel it and do it over correctly. You end up with a good cigar AND you'll learn something as well.

Your Cuban sandwich is anathema to cigar snobs everywhere, who are convinced that any cigar not made with long leaves is a disgrace.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
How about this solution: gradually fill a huge plastic trash bag with it, which is stashed in some corner of the garage, with the intention of "doing something with it eventually," and then after a year or two chuck the whole thing in the dumpster.

Thus far, this has been my solution of "choice". I have a friend that wants to start rolling cheroots with my scrap, we'll see how that plays out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Cuban sandwich is anathema to cigar snobs everywhere, who are convinced that any cigar not made with long leaves is a disgrace.
I confess that I have a tendency to use common sense over tradition.(except in golf where there are rules vs. myth)
Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't make it a good idea.
Tradition...

020.jpg