What's new

Adventures in home rolling

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I confess that I have a tendency to use common sense over tradition.(except in golf where there are rules vs. myth)
Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't make it a good idea.
Tradition...
My objection to rolling cigars with scraps is entirely a time based decision. I have a limited amount of time to roll, I generally don't want to use it on rolling scrap smokes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My objection to rolling cigars with scraps is entirely a time based decision. I have a limited amount of time to roll, I generally don't want to use it on rolling scrap smokes.
That's certainly your decision to make but what if you could make as good a cigar in the same amount of time or even faster? In fact, I can roll scrap cigars faster than long leaf since the tobacco is ready to roll. Just reach in grab a handful and roll it up. Easy breezy.

I'm fully aware that there are many who are convinced that scrap tobacco is shitty and makes an inferior cigar. After all it is 'scrap' and even sounds like 'crap'. Who want's cigars made from inferior 'scrap'? This thinking is pure old school dogma.

If I gave you a cigar made from scraps you'd never know it wasn't long filler. The only difference is that it doesn't hold the ash like long filler does. If you want to hold the ash put in some stems for structure.

Is there any one here that wouldn't LOVE to have a bag of Cuban scraps???

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
That's certainly your decision to make but what if you could make as good a cigar in the same amount of time or even faster? In fact, I can roll scrap cigars faster than long leaf since the tobacco is ready to roll. Just reach in grab a handful and roll it up. Easy breezy.
I agree with you. The few times I've rolled scrap cigars I've been very happy with them. At this point, I'm still putting my time into making a consistent cigar. Specifically in the bunching/binding steps. Scrap cigars don't contribute to that skill in the way I'm looking for, so I haven't been using it.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Yeah, that's a problem, unless you have like a paying sideline of someone who wants to buy tons of sandwiches off you. I use it as "packing peanuts" when I mail cigars to people (cigars go in baggie with Boveda, then that goes into a box padded with leaf scraps). How about this solution: gradually fill a huge plastic trash bag with it, which is stashed in some corner of the garage, with the intention of "doing something with it eventually," and then after a year or two chuck the whole thing in the dumpster.
This is my mentality, i really don't want to keep a scrap bag or separate different types of leaf scraps to make an inconsistent cigar that i won't enjoy as much.

The old mantra: "Life is too short to smoke bad cigars"

Sure, fine, they're not going to be bad dog rockets or anything, but I'm knowingly going to like them less.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm in this hobby to perfect cigar making, not to save money. Rolling is fun! Scraps are an inevitable cost factor. Plus, filler is cheap.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Basically push it out from the center?
Basically give a little probe to the head or foot to see if there's some specific tight spot somewhere. In my case the overall thing is usually fine, just maybe some tube got a little twist in it or something. If the whole stick really was too tight I'd not wrap it: I'd just smoke the bunch after reaming it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. The few times I've rolled scrap cigars I've been very happy with them. At this point, I'm still putting my time into making a consistent cigar. Specifically in the bunching/binding steps. Scrap cigars don't contribute to that skill in the way I'm looking for, so I haven't been using it.
This is my mentality, i really don't want to keep a scrap bag or separate different types of leaf scraps to make an inconsistent cigar that i won't enjoy as much.

The old mantra: "Life is too short to smoke bad cigars"

Sure, fine, they're not going to be bad dog rockets or anything, but I'm knowingly going to like them less.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm in this hobby to perfect cigar making, not to save money. Rolling is fun! Scraps are an inevitable cost factor. Plus, filler is cheap.
Having a mindset that you're "knowingly going to like them less" would be difficult to overcome. That's what's so great about rolling your own cigars. You can make whatever you want however you want it to be.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having a mindset that you're "knowingly going to like them less" would be difficult to overcome. That's what's so great about rolling your own cigars. You can make whatever you want however you want it to be.
I rolled a robusto sandwich to try it out. I agree it's faster than long filler to roll.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Basically give a little probe to the head or foot to see if there's some specific tight spot somewhere. In my case the overall thing is usually fine, just maybe some tube got a little twist in it or something. If the whole stick really was too tight I'd not wrap it: I'd just smoke the bunch after reaming it.
I bought the perfecdraw tool to fix plugged cc's, which basically has little teeth to carve out any hard spots or twists... i guess i could give that a try too.

If i wasn't still under the weather I'd just smoke the bunch now, it's a test blend anyway...

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I don't doubt that you can make a very tasty smoke with the scraps and saved them for the longest time. My concern was always having plugged smokes and consistent blends. Now I suppose if you are careful about how you keep the scrap you can still blend to proportion but it all sounds like a storage nightmare for me.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I don't doubt that you can make a very tasty smoke with the scraps and saved them for the longest time. My concern was always having plugged smokes and consistent blends. Now I suppose if you are careful about how you keep the scrap you can still blend to proportion but it all sounds like a storage nightmare for me.
^^^This! Cigar rolling is anti-stressful, storage issues/significant other's opinions of said storage are pro-stressful

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am personally hoping I hit a cool blend from the scraps I wouldn't have tried if I thought about it. I'm experimenting.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought the perfecdraw tool to fix plugged cc's, which basically has little teeth to carve out any hard spots or twists... i guess i could give that a try too.

If i wasn't still under the weather I'd just smoke the bunch now, it's a test blend anyway...

I was going to get that, but then $40 seemed steep for a poker.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I guess we know what to do with our scraps now. Gdaddy and Webmost, please post your mailing addresses here. I'm sure we all have pounds of yummy tips'n'tails to send you for your smoking pleasure. :hungry::hungover:

Matter of fact, I do have a box or two of Scrappowoc Perfectos which I stashed about a year ago. I should hunt them up & smoke 'em.