What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't rolled in a while, so no pictures as my hands reacquire the touch. Out of frustration I modified my post roll drying regimen. Usually ( in the summer) I roll and leave them laying on the rolling table for a few days before I place them into the humidor. This time of year the house gets very dry and I struggle to keep the humidor above 65F. As in add DW and wipe the lips every 2-3 weeks. This week I tries something new. The Humi had fallen a couple points below 65RH, so I relocated all the commercial sticks to the more stable coolerdor, rolled 30 sticks and popped them directly into the low RH humi. Wet as in ridden hard and put away. Bedtime check and the humi had shot up from 64rh to 77RH!!!!! a day later its down to 71. Talk about dual purpose technology :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been eased to learn that I don't know what I thought I did about tobacco. You know, I had my preconceived notions about what ligero, Seco and volado would taste like. That's because I've always read about cigars and their construction.

I wonder now how many of these folks writing articles have actually tasted a ligero puro, or seco puro etc.

I said screw it last night and rolled one of those little perfecto with two aged nic ligero (esteli) leafs and one Colombian Seco (Ecuadorian binder and nica wrapper). Full of flavor but not crazy strong like I expected. I bet with time down it would be damn good.

If nothing else, this has been a great learning experience and made me even more interested in cigars again

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I have been eased to learn that I don't know what I thought I did about tobacco. You know, I had my preconceived notions about what ligero, Seco and volado would taste like. That's because I've always read about cigars and their construction.

I wonder now how many of these folks writing articles have actually tasted a ligero puro, or seco puro etc.

I said screw it last night and rolled one of those little perfecto with two aged nic ligero (esteli) leafs and one Colombian Seco (Ecuadorian binder and nica wrapper). Full of flavor but not crazy strong like I expected. I bet with time down it would be damn good.

If nothing else, this has been a great learning experience and made me even more interested in cigars again

You'll be amazed how homerolling changes your palette

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

One thing that always surprises me is how mild these retail ligeros are. Much more so with the WLT Dominicans (which taste as mild to me as I'd expect a seco to) than the LO Nicas, but yeah.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
rolled a few over the last few days - not paying super close attention to the blends. working on bunching, binding and wrapping (casing matters eh?).
You can see the various sizes and only two are wrapped at this point. i figure once I hit the dozen rolled point I'll have a minor comfort level but I'm not there yet :) enjoying every minute of it - and thankfully its super dry in the house so i can dry box fresh rolls for a bit just by leaving them out for a short while.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

The more you learn, the more you realize you have yet to learn. Enjoy the ride buddy!

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Home repair tip:

This weekend I replaced a toilet and got wax from the wax ring on the hardwood floor.
It’s a bitch to clean off of the floor.

I got the handy torch cigar lighter out and melted the wax without damaging the floor. The wax softened under the flame and I was able to wipe up the melted wax right up. It left a nice sheen too.

Who knew!! ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't rolled in a while, so no pictures as my hands reacquire the touch. Out of frustration I modified my post roll drying regimen. Usually ( in the summer) I roll and leave them laying on the rolling table for a few days before I place them into the humidor. This time of year the house gets very dry and I struggle to keep the humidor above 65F. As in add DW and wipe the lips every 2-3 weeks. This week I tries something new. The Humi had fallen a couple points below 65RH, so I relocated all the commercial sticks to the more stable coolerdor, rolled 30 sticks and popped them directly into the low RH humi. Wet as in ridden hard and put away. Bedtime check and the humi had shot up from 64rh to 77RH!!!!! a day later its down to 71. Talk about dual purpose technology :)
What do you try to keep your humidor at? I keep mine between 62-65 and everything smoke great.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home repair tip:

This weekend I replaced a toilet and got wax from the wax ring on the hardwood floor.
It’s a bitch to clean off of the floor.

I got the handy torch cigar lighter out and melted the wax without damaging the floor. The wax softened under the flame and I was able to wipe up the melted wax right up. It left a nice sheen too.

Who knew!! ;)
Try a Mr Clean magic eraser if that happens again. Those things are magic

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm sure on these posts somewhere is the answer I seek. I'll ask anyway. How long do y'all leave sticks in the mold. After turning a few times does leaving them in overnight add any stability?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm sure on these posts somewhere is the answer I seek. I'll ask anyway. How long do y'all leave sticks in the mold. After turning a few times does leaving them in overnight add any stability?

Yeah, I like to get the first few turns in at under 5 minutes. it really gets the crease out well and, wood molds are faster but, leaving them in until they stiffen up really helps to get a jump start on firming them up. I used to over pack them until I figured out that letting them dry a bit is where I needed to be.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Depends on stuff like the humidity, whether there was any dampness in the binder, whether all the creases are out yet, whether the thing is smooth and solid-feeling enough, etc. Could be ten minutes, could be a week.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I don't use a mold.
Bunch
Bind
Wrap
Smoke one, then sock the rest away for at least 3 months

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Recently I've had trouble keeping some of my cigars lit. I've not had that issue before. The interior of the cigar stayed lit, however, the outside wouldn't.

It's the last purchase of Dominican (LO) binder that doesn't want to burn. I lit a dried binder leaf it sure enough it doesn't like to keep burning. I've not experienced that before with Dominican binder. I bought it January 13 of this year.
The sticks bound with Ecuadorian don't exhibit the issue.
Am I the only one who's experienced this with LO Dominican binder?