What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Chuck it and carry on. We've all got and tossed plenty shitleaf through the years, from various sources. And I mean plenty. That's just part of this whole deal. You're gonna find poiunds of amazing leaf, and your next order of the same SKU is useless crap that you have to toss. And vice versa. You are, quite reasonably, dismayed. But if you choose to continue with this hobby eventually this kind of thing will leave you somewhat miffed rather than dismayed.
I have no problem writing it off. I just wanted your guys opinions as I'm still pretty new to this. Any problem with using it as filler?? I would assume it would be fine?

Bliss so would you say I'm having a hard time working with it 60/40 leaf/me??

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have no problem writing it off. I just wanted your guys opinions as I'm still pretty new to this. Any problem with using it as filler?? I would assume it would be fine?

Stupid Tapatalk
I can't have a clue from those photos. I can only go on what you say. I don't know how they arrived and what you've done to them since then. You say you cased them up and then let them dry and then recased. That'll often screw your leaf for good. All I've got is you saying you know how to case and that it's the leaf, not you, but that you're not sure. I can say though, as marcl often says, case only at the time and when it's ready, roll with it. That usually means start casing the day before you bunch or roll. If you get damp leaf out of the bag, you have to try to deal with that specific, uh, "case." Sometimes if you pre-case and recase, the leaf goes on awesome, everything's groovy, and a week later everything's disintegrating and falling apart.

If I just saw those photos with no words attached, and assumed they looked like that out of the bag, I'd say, Fuck, and maybe toss it, depending on my mood. When this used to happen with WLT leaf, I'd show photos on the forum and everyone would be like, "Oh, hey, no problem, it looks awesome to me. Bind with it or at least use it as filler," which is what you're asking about. I'd be so fucking pissed I'd just chuck it, thinking, "I fucking bought binder, not filler." Later, I started burn testing it, and if it burned well and smelled great, I'd use it as filler. I'm still figuring this shit out after five years.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I can't have a clue from those photos. I can only go on what you say. I don't know how they arrived and what you've done to them since then. You say you cased them up and then let them dry and then recased. That'll often screw your leaf for good. All I've got is you saying you know how to case and that it's the leaf, not you, but that you're not sure. I can say though, as marcl often says, case only at the time and when it's ready, roll with it. That usually means start casing the day before you bunch or roll. If you get damp leaf out of the bag, you have to try to deal with that specific, uh, "case." Sometimes if you pre-case and recase, the leaf goes on awesome, everything's groovy, and a week later everything's disintegrating and falling apart.

If I just saw those photos with no words attached, and assumed they looked like that out of the bag, I'd say, Fuck, and maybe toss it, depending on my mood. When this used to happen with WLT leaf, I'd show photos on the forum and everyone would be like, "Oh, hey, no problem, it looks awesome to me. Bind with it or at least use it as filler," which is what you're asking about. I'd be so fucking pissed I'd just chuck it, thinking, "I fucking bought binder, not filler." Later, I started burn testing it, and if it burned well and smelled great, I'd use it as filler. I'm still figuring this shit out after five years.
Thanks for the time and insight buddy!

Stupid Tapatalk

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My stuff has got no issues. Based on your description of your process, your process is not right. It should never be too wet unless you make it too wet. Fine mists followed by a few hours bag time, two or three times over a day or so should be your max wetness.
Thank you. You’re right, must be something I’m doing in the process.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you. You’re right, must be something I’m doing in the process.
That quote was from a post I wrote responding to Tyler, tho.

I put a match to my July '18 batch of the LODomBind. It burnt with a flame to it, but on it's own it went out after 30 seconds or so. So not epic, not totally burnless. The humidity was 89, and it has been in the 75-100 range for a few weeks. The leaf was very supple like limp thin leather, from the humidity. If I rolled something with it I would try to keep it in a humi at ~64F for a few weeks before smoking, based on what I saw. I know you do ROTT but I don't know your humidity situation.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0

Stupid Tapatalk
That binder is a piloto cubano leaf according to LO, which goes well with many other fillers. As long as it burns for you, go ahead and use it as filler if you want.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm having some difficulty getting the veins to straighten/smooth out. Any tips?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
So I'm having some difficulty getting the veins to straighten/smooth out. Any tips?

Case longer. Then stretch. Then gentle Spritz and stretch until it sits the way you want it.

Or just press them into the bunch while rolling. No big deal there

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No specific blend. Just cruising through my samples working on bunching, binding, wrapping and capping. Progress for sure although I haven't decided if I like entubado or book style bunching more and tons of practice to go!
Those look great! Nice job.
Good luck with your decision! You have a 50% chance of making the right choice. ;)

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
No specific blend. Just cruising through my samples working on bunching, binding, wrapping and capping. Progress for sure although I haven't decided if I like entubado or book style bunching more and tons of practice to go!
And practicing a couple at a time frequently will develop the skills faster and easier than a whole lot of cigars every once in a while. Looking good @mitetak

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the extra time and learn to roll entubado properly. My opinion it makes a much better cigar and if done right its virtually impossible to get a plugged stick.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So man o man does stretching that leaf make a difference. I haven't rolled yet bit can tell it will be nicer.

I've taken the time to humidify and I've been stretching and pulling. Can't wait.