What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Recently I've had trouble keeping some of my cigars lit. I've not had that issue before. The interior of the cigar stayed lit, however, the outside wouldn't.

It's the last purchase of Dominican (LO) binder that doesn't want to burn. I lit a dried binder leaf it sure enough it doesn't like to keep burning. I've not experienced that before with Dominican binder. I bought it January 13 of this year.
The sticks bound with Ecuadorian don't exhibit the issue.
Am I the only one who's experienced this with LO Dominican binder?
When I get home from work tonight I'll whip out a leaf and put a match to it and report back. I bought my current batch July 2018.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Speaking of LO Dominican binder.... does anyone else have a hard time casing his stuff? I feel like it should be filler.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently I've had trouble keeping some of my cigars lit. I've not had that issue before. The interior of the cigar stayed lit, however, the outside wouldn't.

It's the last purchase of Dominican (LO) binder that doesn't want to burn. I lit a dried binder leaf it sure enough it doesn't like to keep burning. I've not experienced that before with Dominican binder. I bought it January 13 of this year.
The sticks bound with Ecuadorian don't exhibit the issue.
Am I the only one who's experienced this with LO Dominican binder?
I have not tried it but, if it off gases a lot of ammonia, aerate it out. be sure your not over-booking.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Lol no I meant why does he think it should be filler
Cause I can't get it to case right. Goes from too dry (barely) to roll with, to too wet and breaks apart with barely any water at all. It's frustrating the hell out of me.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Speaking of LO Dominican binder.... does anyone else have a hard time casing his stuff? I feel like it should be filler.

Stupid Tapatalk
My stuff has got no issues. Based on your description of your process, your process is not right. It should never be too wet unless you make it too wet. Fine mists followed by a few hours bag time, two or three times over a day or so should be your max wetness.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
My stuff has got no issues. Based on your description of your process, your process is not right. It should never be too wet unless you make it too wet. Fine mists followed by a few hours bag time, two or three times over a day or so should be your max wetness.
It may be my process, but I don't think so. I also understand the casing process. I have no issues casing any thing else, binders or wrappers. They all end up stretchy, pliable, almost silk like?, and not wet at all. It's like these leaves refuse to absorb water.....

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It may be my process, but I don't think so. I also understand the casing process. I have no issues casing any thing else, binders or wrappers. They all end up stretchy, pliable, almost silk like?, and not wet at all. It's like these leaves refuse to absorb water.....

Stupid Tapatalk
Okay.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it! You're probably right. I just don't get why it's only this leaf that's giving me fits.

Stupid Tapatalk
Maybe it was stored too wet by LO. The dom binder I just got from wlt was pretty bad. It came in way over cased. After I dried it and tried bringing it back up it would just fall apart while trying to spread it out.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Maybe it was stored too wet by LO. The dom binder I just got from wlt was pretty bad. It came in way over cased. After I dried it and tried bringing it back up it would just fall apart while trying to spread it out.
This very much describes what I have going on. It was hard to work with when I got it 6 months ago when I started rolling. I assumed it was me then, but it's still the only leaf I can't work with.

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
That's 90% how it shipped, has gotten minimally worse in sealed storage. 75% of the pound looks like this and FEELS like filler before you attempt to case. Any insight is appreciated

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's 90% how it shipped, has gotten minimally worse in sealed storage. 75% of the pound looks like this and FEELS like filler before you attempt to case. Any insight is appreciated

Stupid Tapatalk
Chuck it and carry on. We've all got and tossed plenty shitleaf through the years, from various sources. And I mean plenty. That's just part of this whole deal. You're gonna find pounds of amazing leaf, and your next order of the same SKU is useless crap which you have to toss. And vice versa. You are, quite reasonably, dismayed. But if you choose to continue with this hobby eventually this kind of thing will leave you somewhat miffed rather than dismayed.