What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
When prepping for rolling, do you just lightly spray the leaves to get a little moisture back in them? That's what I've seen for the most part from all the videos I can find.
Depends on the leaf and how thick it is. The filler requires the least moisture. Just enough not to crumble when worked with, the binder a little more to pull taught and hold the bunch together, the wrapper a little more to be stretchy enough to get a nice sheen on the stick after wrapping.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Jonathan, your sticks have come a long way since you started. Very impressive brother! Keep up the great work! The other brothers in this thread that roll their own, continue to impress as well. This is an awesome thread. Love it!
Thank you Aaron! I'm my biggest critic and always see room for improvement but it motivates me to keep trying.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me to. I'll keep filler and wrapper separated in bags then together in larger trash bags then in plastic totes.
Some leaf will come in thick mil bags, air vacuumed out, with nitrogen packs in them. If I'm not using it I will not open it.
Other vendors do not use well sealing methods.
We need to bring the case up to get it into shape but, if the leaves are to moist and left sealed alone, they will start to ferment further.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Where's the pics man?!?!?
We prepared way too much leaf! Also, we were a bit too careful with the filler - taking them out of the bag, trying not to rip any of the leaves, etc. With all the joking around, the break we took to smoke a cigar, drinking, and the wives making fun of us, after 4 hours, I rolled about 6 cigars. It was actually 5, but the short cigar was cut from the cigar next to it when it was made too long...

We couldn't roll too many, as there was 3 of us sharing one 10 count mold/press

This morning I started rolling cigars from the leaves that I didn't get to use last night...

The 4 on the right is recipe 1
The 4 on the left is recipe 2
The 9th cigar (in the middle) is made from 100% wrapper scraps....

I only had time to roll 2 of them (I'll get to the rest tonight)
They look ugly, but I'm just getting started!

Happy thanksgiving everyone! Gobble gobble!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
We prepared way too much leaf! Also, we were a bit too careful with the filler - taking them out of the bag, trying not to rip any of the leaves, etc. With all the joking around, the break we took to smoke a cigar, drinking, and the wives making fun of us, after 4 hours, I rolled about 6 cigars. It was actually 5, but the short cigar was cut from the cigar next to it when it was made too long...

This morning I started rolling cigars from the leaves that I didn't get to use last night...

Those look way better than my firsts!! Nice looking sticks brother!! Now the hard part, letting them rest before torching them

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Those look way better than my firsts!! Nice looking sticks brother!! Now the hard part, letting them rest before torching them
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, brother!

The thing I learned from rolling the small ring gauge sticks (which is around 38 for my press) is that the wrapper needs to be very, very wet.
When rolling larger ring gauges, the thicker veins in the leaf don't go through as much "stress" as they do in smaller RG. If the leaf (esp the veins) isn't moist enough, the smaller circumference puts too much stress on the dry vein, and it may crack and/or tear the wrapper leaf. Of course, this is only for the veins that run around the cigar, not those that run from cap to foot.

It's better to make it really wet (TWSS) and build in a longer dry time to your schedule.

Now I just gotta learn how to make a proper cap, and how to make the wrapper smooth and seamless...

Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Some of the best looking first cigars I've ever seen! Great work bro!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First 3 in the books. Going to let them dry out as I had to dampen the wrapper quite a bit, even after misting the bag and letting them sit overnight.
I put a wrapper on them just to get the full experience. Next time I need to get my binder tighter and the wrapper also.

First 3.3.jpg

First 3.1.jpg

Last edited: