What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I expect more than that from you! Looking forward to what you and your crew start rolling. Watch lots of videos and don't think that there is only one correct way to roll a cigar. The "correct" way is the way that works for you to produce an enjoyable and smokeable product. My methods are far from conventional but they work for me and I rarely have an issue with how a stick burns, plus I have hardly any waste. There are a few things that are universal musts though. All leaves should face the same direction, tips of the leaf at the foot, base of the leaf at the head. This is for filler, binder, and wrapper. A 2" wide strip of wrapper is plenty, you want to overlap as little as possible to aid a good burn. You will have the most waste from the wrapper, it kinda sucks because it is the most expensive leaf, but it also does the most for aesthetics.

Here are a couple videos from @webmost. I like his methods and how he explains the process.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I expect more than that from you! Looking forward to what you and your crew start rolling. Watch lots of videos and don't think that there is only one correct way to roll a cigar. The "correct" way is the way that works for you to produce an enjoyable and smokeable product. My methods are far from conventional but they work for me and I rarely have an issue with how a stick burns, plus I have hardly any waste. There are a few things that are universal musts though. All leaves should face the same direction, tips of the leaf at the foot, base of the leaf at the head. This is for filler, binder, and wrapper. A 2" wide strip of wrapper is plenty, you want to overlap as little as possible to aid a good burn. You will have the most waste from the wrapper, it kinda sucks because it is the most expensive leaf, but it also does the most for aesthetics.

Here are a couple videos from @webmost. I like his methods and how he explains the process.
whoa! great vids! i cant wait to get started...
already have a question... is it okay to store the leaves in a cooler with other cigars? im assuming 65F/65rH is okay?
the glue used - i read early in the post taht the one supplied can go sour quickly. where exactly in Walmart can i find the xanthan gum? is it in like the bakery/food area? if so, im sure it can also be found at a grocery store...?
to prep the leaves for rolling, im assuming taht spraying them directly with DW is okay? how long do you spray and store in a ziplock for?

im getting antsy!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

whoa! great vids! i cant wait to get started...
already have a question... is it okay to store the leaves in a cooler with other cigars? im assuming 65F/65rH is okay?
the glue used - i read early in the post taht the one supplied can go sour quickly. where exactly in Walmart can i find the xanthan gum? is it in like the bakery/food area? if so, im sure it can also be found at a grocery store...?
to prep the leaves for rolling, im assuming taht spraying them directly with DW is okay? how long do you spray and store in a ziplock for?

im getting antsy!

I store all my leaf in bags in a separate cooler. I keep it separate from my sticks in case of beetle outbreak. It also keeps longer stored dry from everything I have heard and seen but I have no evidence to back that up.

The Xanthan gum is in the gluten free section of Walmart and can be a pain to find, but it's cheap so I grab a few packets at a time and have several years worth I would inagine. Just mix a small amount with distilled water to get a jam like consistency. It takes some time for it to mix evenly with the water so plan ahead.

Prepping the leaves for rolling I place in a large ziploc and spray DW right on them. The thinner filler leaves absorb the water faster. Some thicker wrapper leaves can take a day or more to come fully up to case where you can really get a good stretch when wrapping so they shine.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Okay, so I got my press/mold in the mail today (35-ish bucks, fleabay). Immediately after I made the purchase, I had a slight bit if buyers remorse, as I wanted a smaller RG. I like smaller RG better, and apparently smaller RG is harder to roll... I figure if I learn to roll the harder vitolas first, I can easily transition to the larger RG sticks in the future.

I thought it was going to be a 50-something RG, torpedo shaped. I was happy to see that it was indeed a smaller RG... Almost a little too small... here is a pic with a lancero:

Small RG!

I hope I'm not in over my head...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, so I got my press/mold in the mail today (35-ish bucks, fleabay). Immediately after I made the purchase, I had a slight bit if buyers remorse, as I wanted a smaller RG. I like smaller RG better, and apparently smaller RG is harder to roll... I figure if I learn to roll the harder vitolas first, I can easily transition to the larger RG sticks in the future.

I thought it was going to be a 50-something RG, torpedo shaped. I was happy to see that it was indeed a smaller RG... Almost a little too small... here is a pic with a lancero:
Small RG!
I hope I'm not in over my head...
That looks pretty good.
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=161882360679&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565
Don't worry. you can do it if you want to. we probably all had doubts and made mistakes.
btw, how to make a good guesstimate on rg, scale the image to a known size, (5.25) take a micrometer and measure then convert.

Screen shot 2015-02-27 at 9.23.28 PM.png

Rating - 100%
1   0   0