What's new

Adventures in home rolling

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That actually came from ArizonaDave. Turns out he lives really close to me and I wound up calling him and talking his ear off the other day. He was super helpful and is trying to get me to start growing some of my own leaves, particularly the Little Dutch varietal. Thank you for the info on the leaves I have and whats in the Eastern Standard! It's funny, I have corojo and criollo already but my corojo is seco and my criollo is ligero. That blend does look and sound very tasty though and I appreciate the info regarding the Nic blends you have played with, that does not sound like it's in my wheelhouse at all...
Yea the guys over there aren't too fond of using pectin. While that blend is bound to be different since you'd be using different primings I imagine its still worth rolling and probably has a lot of similarities. Plus it works with the leaf you have already. Though don't worry soon your going to have a nice stock pile of different leaf varieties like the rest of us lol. I wish more information was out there about what fillers are used in what cigars. It blows my mind that I can go on breweries websites(Avery comes to mind) where some post their recipes for the world to see yet all I can find about a cigars fillers is what country they're from.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
This is such a great thread. I guess the next step for you is to get some seeds.
I would not use pectin either unless you are smoking the cigar right away. If you would like some home grown leaf just pm me and I can send you some. I am out of wrapper leaf but I have plenty of filler and binder.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
This is such a great thread. I guess the next step for you is to get some seeds.
I would not use pectin either unless you are smoking the cigar right away. If you would like some home grown leaf just pm me and I can send you some. I am out of wrapper leaf but I have plenty of filler and binder.
Sounds like I need to start smoking my stash asap then! Thank you for chiming in!! Pm has been sent and as soon as I have more room I will definitely try to grow some leaf, unfortunately apartment living doesn't leave much room for that. I barely have enough room for my brewing and rolling stuff I have now, lol.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yea the guys over there aren't too fond of using pectin. While that blend is bound to be different since you'd be using different primings I imagine its still worth rolling and probably has a lot of similarities. Plus it works with the leaf you have already. Though don't worry soon your going to have a nice stock pile of different leaf varieties like the rest of us lol. I wish more information was out there about what fillers are used in what cigars. It blows my mind that I can go on breweries websites(Avery comes to mind) where some post their recipes for the world to see yet all I can find about a cigars fillers is what country they're from.
Well, it seems you are right about the different varietals. I couldn't help but just order 3 more lbs of filler leaf: Nicaraguan Habano Seco, Dominican Corojo 99 Viso, and Dominican Ligero. I'm gonna try to get through the filler I have before it gets here. Came up with a logo for some bands the other day, I need to print them out to label what I have rolled and start up a blend journal with the different blends I have rolled so I can keep track and make tasting notes. Yeeehaw!

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I dug out my Nic habano viso. Going to roll some of the slightly tweaked Eastern Standard blend this weekend. It'll look like this...

2 corojo seco
1 Nic Habano viso
1 Criollo ligero
Dom binder
PA broadleaf oscuro wrapper

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Playing around with making my own bands, found a template online for 16 basic bands per sheet, did a Google image search for "hooligan", added some text with a photo editor app on my phone and added to the word document. Now I just have to cut them out. I will get some glossy paper for future bands but think they turned out pretty decent for 10 minutes of effort on my part
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426282511.739645.jpg

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Are you still using a metal tray for cutting? I wondered if that pizza cutter would stay sharper if you got a wood cutting board? Those labels look perfect!
Thank you brother!! I have still been cutting on the baking sheet but am going to start using a cutting board for that very reason.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Did a small experiment from the urging of @Smoqman from an Instagram post I made. Placed a couple sticks I rolled a week ago in a ziploc with the hygrometer to check what the rh of the sticks are to track progress. They are sitting at 69% and if time permits tomorrow I will set fire to one of the "dirty hoes" as he called it, you know, for science and whatnot.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426314675.772830.jpg