What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just pulled the trigger on ordering the 2lb medium kit from LO with a couple samples on the side. All in all it should have the following:
1/4lb PA Oscuro Wrapper
1/4lb Nic Viso
1/2lb Med CT Broadleaf Wrapper
1/2lb CT Broadleaf Binder
1/2lb Dom Ligero
1/2lb Nic Seco
I plan to try the blend as it is described in the kit and then mix it up with the PA Oscuro wrapper and Nic Viso...
Next up is a trip to Wally World for a cutting board and some xanthan gum!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll want to do it while there still wet. It helps if the RG is smaller. these are 44. Don't over fill them. Long filler. entubado help. these are the typical style with 3 but there are others. here is a video.
This one is tight and closed like a braid done w/o a mold with a loose binding and wrap. 3 sticks.

This one is the Belibra™ tight and closed, like a square braid, done w/o a mold with a loose binding and wrap. 4 sticks.

This video is with 4 sticks.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So the bottom of the mold my friend designed and printed is ready, and he was going to start printing the top today.

In the first picture it looks like there may be some sort of line down the length of the mold. I'm not sure if this is just the way it looks in the picture of if it's actually there. If is is there, I'll have to figure out a way to get rid of it, and have him update his design template.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So the bottom of the mold my friend designed and printed is ready, and he was going to start printing the top today.

In the first picture it looks like there may be some sort of line down the length of the mold. I'm not sure if this is just the way it looks in the picture of if it's actually there. If is is there, I'll have to figure out a way to get rid of it, and have him update his design template.

Looks good man. Should be able to smooth that line out pretty easy if indeed its there.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

thanks man. .. Your getting me thinking on that bottom section. does the top fit down inside of it? or is it a flush design?

IMG_0298.JPG

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
thanks man. .. Your getting me thinking on that bottom section. does the top fit down inside of it? or is it a flush design?

View attachment 78007
It will be flush with the top. We had talked about the design over the phone and after seeing some of the pvc pipe molds, I thought we would try flush fist since it would be a simpler design.

Do you think that will have an impact on how the mold presses the cigars? Since I haven't rolled any yet, I'm not really sure how differences in shape will impact the stick.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
It will be flush with the top. We had talked about the design over the phone and after seeing some of the pvc pipe molds, I thought we would try flush fist since it would be a simpler design.

Do you think that will have an impact on how the mold presses the cigars? Since I haven't rolled any yet, I'm not really sure how differences in shape will impact the stick.

When the mold pieces fit flush together "wings" can form when the bunch is pressed together. Usually rotating in the mold once or twice fixes it. I recently found that if I rotate a few times and there are still seams wrapping with a highly cased wrapper leaf while the bunch is still a bit moist solves the problem. If you leave the bunch in the mold long enough to dry out the creases and seams will show through the wrapper.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BrewinHooligan got it. Before there were the molds of new, there was paper strips used to bind before wrapping. some factories still use paper strips today.
It's really the best way to keep the seams out. Even the best mold designs need rotating. ... this mold is recessed and flush.

IMG_0296.JPG IMG_0298.JPG

Rating - 100%
12   0   0

It may be a limitation of the printer. If you've noticed the flat sections look similar. You'll probably need to use some plastic filler and elbow grease. Cool though.