What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hello all! New to the forum and cigar rolling and love it.
Me and my girlfriend recently went to La faraona cigars in Ybor City, florida and learned how to hand roll cigars from a cuban lady who owns the shop. She rolled for 25yrs in Cuba and has brought her talents and experience to the states. What a fun time!
Welcome aboard! I can't see your pics but I'm jealous of the instruction you had!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was awesome. She was very patient and stood over us for the first few cigars and would stop and redirect us if we weren't doing one of the steps right. She showed us everything from how to cut the leaves, cut the binder, bunch the different tobaccos together for the filler, explained each filler leaf and its role in the cigar, how to roll the filler into the binder, how the press worked, how to cut and roll the wrapper, and how to cut the head and the cap. All the while making us cuban coffee.
If you're ever in the Tampa area, I definately recommend taking her class. I think it was $50 and you get to keep the cigars you make!

By the end of the day we each ended up with 9 sticks each!

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
It was awesome. She was very patient and stood over us for the first few cigars and would stop and redirect us if we weren't doing one of the steps right. She showed us everything from how to cut the leaves, cut the binder, bunch the different tobaccos together for the filler, explained each filler leaf and its role in the cigar, how to roll the filler into the binder, how the press worked, how to cut and roll the wrapper, and how to cut the head and the cap. All the while making us cuban coffee.
If you're ever in the Tampa area, I definately recommend taking her class. I think it was $50 and you get to keep the cigars you make!

By the end of the day we each ended up with 9 sticks each!

That's awesome. I ended up in her shop one night after hanging around the Columbia. Very cool place, despite the lack of enthusiasm that I'd interrupted what turned out to be a high-stakes game of dominoes. Hope next time I'll get to meet the owner herself.

And yes, welcome to BOTL!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@HeadtoHead
This looks fabulous.
In her youtube vids her blend appears to be a simple one leaf each, at least in her figurado. Is that the blend you guys used in these robustos?
Did she call her leaves volado/seco/ligero, or seco/viso/ligero?
Thanks so much for posting the awesome photos. Wish I lived nearer to Tampa!
blisscigar.co

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HeadtoHead
This looks fabulous.
In her youtube vids her blend appears to be a simple one leaf each, at least in her figurado. Is that the blend you guys used in these robustos?
Did she call her leaves volado/seco/ligero, or seco/viso/ligero?
Thanks so much for posting the awesome photos. Wish I lived nearer to Tampa!
blisscigar.co
Yes, same blend and she called them seco, ligero, volado

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello all! New to the forum and cigar rolling and love it.
Me and my girlfriend recently went to La faraona cigars in Ybor City, florida and learned how to hand roll cigars from a cuban lady who owns the shop. She rolled for 25yrs in Cuba and has brought her talents and experience to the states. What a fun time!
Wow that's awesome! Does look like a good time. I work in Tampa so I might have to stop by there. Thanks for the post.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My future cutting board for rolling cigars. It's an ambrosia maple. Just needs a couple cuts, some glue, and sanding. The tiny kitchen cutting board is going back to kitchen duties!View attachment 79010
Very pretty piece of maple that is!! I know what it is, but have never worked with ambrosia. Are the discolored bits any softer or anything, or just discolored?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Very pretty piece of maple that is!! I know what it is, but have never worked with ambrosia. Are the discolored bits any softer or anything, or just discolored?
Just discolored, apparently by beetles. The tree responds to the beetles and causes the discoloration. (Hopefully these are the only beetle tracks I will ever see in my cigar stuff!)