What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That's awesome man. How's everything else going? I've got a lot to catch up on having been MIA on here for my first winter in Alaska.
Life has been crazy and I have had some poor luck with my health but things are starting to look up and I'm gonna keep on keepin' on. Glad to see you back around here and hope you're doing well in the great white north.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Life has been crazy and I have had some poor luck with my health but things are starting to look up and I'm gonna keep on keepin' on. Glad to see you back around here and hope you're doing well in the great white north.
Shit man I'm sorry to hear that, but at the same time glad things are looking up. I love it up here, man. Getting used to temperatures this cold has been crazy, but it's really nice. My second son is due around late April and it's pretty exciting.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking at this thread kills me in the sense that where I'm at in life, 22, full time job to fund school and a girlfriend that goes to school on a different continent, I don't have the free time to engulf myself in such a fun and self fulfilling hobby. But this is a damn good "feel good" thread to see you excelling and pushing your boundaries in something you enjoy so much. Kudos to you my friend and would love to try one of your rolls one day. Keep up the good work!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To say I enjoyed myself tonight is an understatement. ...

He smoked one of the sticks I brought him and seemed to enjoy it. Today was a good day fellas.
Absolutely awesome Hooligan!! Grats on your new found teacher!! The paper wrapped bunches in the picture above, are they wrapped in parchment paper? It's probably just plain white paper, but it sorta looks like parchment paper?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

bitchin ride

"He doesn't speak much English so I need to brush up on my Spanish ..." Shame on you, livin' in the Southwest you gotta speak spanglish.
"One room has been converted to a temperature controlled humidor to store rolled cigars and he has another room for leaf storage." What temp? You'd think humidibbiditty would be a bigger concern in your climes.
"He looked through my leaf and said "is good"." Which leaf?

Roll On!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also be investing in a tuck cutter as soon as funds allow
My two cents...

A tuck cutter is used in production in order to make every cigar exactly the same length and does nothing more. It's a measurement device that speeds up production in order to fit each cigar in a box for shipment.

It's also very expensive. The high price of a tuck cutter buys a whole lot of leaf (10 to 12 pounds) and doesn't do anything to improve the appearance of the cigar. A sharp cigar cutter does just as good a job. I use a sharp pair of scissors and they are fast and efficient making a perfect cut everytime. I know it looks cool to have a tuck cutter sitting on the table and it has a 'cool factor'. Every pro roller has to have one to speed up cutting to length for box requirements but the home roller really doesn't need to waste money on one. There's really NO benefit and does NOT cut the end any better or improve your cigar in any way.

One other point is... why cut off the best tobacco the cigar has to offer to meet a length requirement if you don't have to? Tim Torres (Cuban Roller) says he doesn't cut them and smokes whatever length they end up. Why take the best end of the cigar and turn it into scrap? Unless your fitting these cigars in a box and require a specific length otherwise it ends up as nothing more than an expensive ornament to sit on the table to look cool.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Absolutely awesome Hooligan!! Grats on your new found teacher!! The paper wrapped bunches in the picture above, are they wrapped in parchment paper? It's probably just plain white paper, but it sorta looks like parchment paper?
Just plain white printer paper is what it looks like. When he is at event

bitchin ride

"He doesn't speak much English so I need to brush up on my Spanish ..." Shame on you, livin' in the Southwest you gotta speak spanglish.
"One room has been converted to a temperature controlled humidor to store rolled cigars and he has another room for leaf storage." What temp? You'd think humidibbiditty would be a bigger concern in your climes.
"He looked through my leaf and said "is good"." Which leaf?

Roll On!
The room is kept at around 65f. I took some of all my leaf: corojo seco, Nica Habano seco, Ecuadorian Habano seco, criollo seco(he really liked the look and smell of this leaf), corojo viso, criollo viso, Piloto cubano viso, Dominican viso, criollo ligero, Dominican binder, San Andres wrapper (he really liked this), Ecuadorian Habano wrapper, PA broadleaf, TX grown Sumatra (he stated he doesn't use because not many people like Sumatra), and some criollo seco filler I prepped as wrapper.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My two cents...

A tuck cutter is used in production in order to make every cigar exactly the same length and does nothing more. It's a measurement device that speeds up production in order to fit each cigar in a box for shipment.

It's also very expensive. The high price of a tuck cutter buys a whole lot of leaf (10 to 12 pounds) and doesn't do anything to improve the appearance of the cigar. A sharp cigar cutter does just as good a job. I use a sharp pair of scissors and they are fast and efficient making a perfect cut everytime. I know it looks cool to have a tuck cutter sitting on the table and it has a 'cool factor'. Every pro roller has to have one to speed up cutting to length for box requirements but the home roller really doesn't need to waste money on one. There's really NO benefit and does NOT cut the end any better or improve your cigar in any way.

One other point is... why cut off the best tobacco the cigar has to offer to meet a length requirement if you don't have to? Tim Torres (Cuban Roller) says he doesn't cut them and smokes whatever length they end up. Why take the best end of the cigar and turn it into scrap? Unless your fitting these cigars in a box and require a specific length otherwise it ends up as nothing more than an expensive ornament to sit on the table to look cool.
If I am going to be rolling for and with Willy, especially at events, the pro-look will be important (and also a write-off) and he does roll cigars for orders to specific lengths. Personally for the sticks I roll now I leave whatever length they wind up.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My two cents...

All absolutely true ... and the very reasons why I prefer perfectos. A perfecto is basically the shape of a leaf; so you don't need to chop the end to find a place where the bunch is tight; on the contrary, the ends tend to be too tight unless you bunch carefully. A perfecto mold is produces bunches which are already a consistent length without any trimming. Scrap is inconsequential, waste minimal. The chavetta snicks off what little waste protrudes from the ends, and a fingernail scissors helps shape the head before capping.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just plain white printer paper is what it looks like. When he is at event

The room is kept at around 65f. I took some of all my leaf: corojo seco, Nica Habano seco, Ecuadorian Habano seco, criollo seco(he really liked the look and smell of this leaf), corojo viso, criollo viso, Piloto cubano viso, Dominican viso, criollo ligero, Dominican binder, San Andres wrapper (he really liked this), Ecuadorian Habano wrapper, PA broadleaf, TX grown Sumatra (he stated he doesn't use because not many people like Sumatra), and some criollo seco filler I prepped as wrapper.
yabbutt... who'd you get it from? WLT? LO?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yabbutt... who'd you get it from? WLT? LO?
The majority came from WLT except the wrapper. I got the criollo seco, Dominican binder and all wrapper except the Sumatra from LO. The Sumatra came from @USHOG here on the site, he grew it in TX at his property. He has a thread around here that has a video showing his tobacco garden that is very impressive.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The majority came from WLT except the wrapper. I got the criollo seco, Dominican binder and all wrapper except the Sumatra from LO. The Sumatra came from @USHOG here on the site, he grew it in TX at his property. He has a thread around here that has a video showing his tobacco garden that is very impressive.
So he liked all of it?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk