What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Geez, now one has to find out if whole leaf tobacco is recognized in the United States Pharmacopoeia, since perhaps this excludes whole leaf tobacco?

(g)
(1)
The term “drug” means (A) articles recognized in the official United States Pharmacopoeia, official Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, or official National Formulary, or any supplementto any of them; and (B) articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in man or other animals; and (C) articles (other thanfood) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals; and (D) articles intended for use as a component of any article specified in clause (A), (B), or (C). A food or dietary supplementfor which a claim, subject to sections 343(r)(1)(B) and 343(r)(3) of this title or sections 343(r)(1)(B) and 343(r)(5)(D) of this title, is made in accordance with the requirements of section 343(r) of this title is not a drug solely because the label or the labeling contains such a claim. A food, dietary ingredient, ordietary supplement for which a truthful and not misleading statement is made in accordance with section 343(r)(6) of this titleis not a drug under clause (C) solely because the label or the labeling contains such a statement.
The thing about my original quote is that it is FD&C basically saying, " We don't have jurisdiction over drugs; that's under FDA's purview." And FDA may have their own definition of tobacco products. So then why does FDC even have regulations about it in the first place. Weird shit.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
"...including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product (except for raw materials other than tobacco used in manufacturing a component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product)"

Apparently trying to be obtuse here and succeeding.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The thing about my original quote is that it is FD&C basically saying, " We don't have jurisdiction over drugs; that's under FDA's purview." And FDA may have their own definition of tobacco products. So then why does FDC even have regulations about it in the first place. Weird shit.

The more regs you have, the more regulators you can hire. The more such people you have working for you, the higher up the food chain you are & hence the higher your own salary. There is no organic limit to bureaucracy; instead, there is a strong incentive for every bureau to grow infinitely.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
"...including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product (except for raw materials other than tobacco used in manufacturing a component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product)"

Apparently trying to be obtuse here and succeeding.
Well, it says "except....other than tobacco...." so tobacco is not accepted. Doesn't seem too obtuse. Unless I'm the one being obtuse. I'm just reading it literally.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have this and am wondering if any of you know what the original finish on it was? Black paint??
I've restored a cutting board and the tuck cutter now I want to restore this. I've got leather on order to replace the belt. Next is rust removal, paint and lube the moving parts. It's pretty interesting how it works.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this and am wondering if any of you know what the original finish on it was? Black paint??
I've restored a cutting board and the tuck cutter now I want to restore this. I've got leather on order to replace the belt. Next is rust removal, paint and lube the moving parts. It's pretty interesting how it works.

View attachment 136014
It looks to be silver painted cast iron. I found some canvas backed vinyl in the fabric section that works well. something that doesn't stretch or absorb water is what you want. I really just cleaned it up and oiled it a little.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It looks to be silver painted cast iron. I found some canvas backed vinyl in the fabric section that works well. something that doesn't stretch or absorb water is what you want. I really just cleaned it up and oiled it a little.
Thank you, Marc.
I don’t know that I’ll use it except to try it out but it’s a pretty cool device. Not much wear on it either.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for my friends here

How much overlap are you looking for on the wrapper? Between each rotation of the stick, and as the wrapper climbs towards the head...how much or how little is acceptable? I imagine if there is too much the burn can be bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Question for my friends here

How much overlap are you looking for on the wrapper? Between each rotation of the stick, and as the wrapper climbs towards the head...how much or how little is acceptable? I imagine if there is too much the burn can be bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
1 inch on a 2 inch wrapper, indicating a 45 degree wrap.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Blake in some of your videos you used to have a pre-printed deal that let you find the best angles, etc. Where'd you find that? I've been meaning to ask and this comment just jogged my memory
I don't remember. But you'll notice that within the last couple years I just use my fingers to create an equilateral triangle against the top edge and then I eyeball the bunch against the center of that and then move it back to the start position. I'm always shooting for 45 degrees. Also, as shown in my videos a few years ago I try to cut the top edge so that it's 45 degrees from the veins, or at least an average of that since the veins' angles are sort of slipping forward as you roll up the leaf. I just eyeball that part.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok I should know this but I don’t.
Using a cigar mold isn’t something I’ve done much. However, while enjoying a rubusto

I’m admiring it’s construction and I would like to start making my cigars in similar fashion.

What size mold shall I use for a rubusto?

Also, can any of you identify the cigar shown in the picture??

Thanks!