What's new

Aged eggnog

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
We broke mine out at Christmas and thought it was pretty good. There's plenty left for a January holiday party we're throwing and to save for next year, though, none of us drink very much!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Still have small amount left from last year. I decided to try it and it tastes just as good now as it did then. Little egg nog nightcap. I will be making more again soon for this year.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks for bumping this. I might have to mix some up this weekend for the holidays. I've never heard of this before, but it sounds amazing.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Made it last year from this thread and it turned out awesome. Turned a few others onto it last year as well and i have no doubt they too will be making it again.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Made a couple batches last night. I doubled the recipe and ended up with about 3 gallons. I found I needed a few more eggs and a bit more sugar than suggested (based on my taste testing...)

It's bottled up and in the fridge for a few weeks. I figure I'll break some out at Thanksgiving, but save most of it for Christmas.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415011209.011346.jpg

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Anyone have issues with the stuff separating? I've got like a top half solid and a bottom half liquid. I shake it everyday, but still.
My understanding is after beating the eggs well you have to add the booze slowly while mixing. If you add it too fast the protein can coagulate and form solids that may separate.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My understanding is after beating the eggs well you have to add the booze slowly while mixing. If you add it too fast the protein can coagulate and form solids that may separate.

Hmmm... I added it pretty slowly, but maybe not slow enough. Hope I didn't f it up. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and we'll see how it tastes.

Thanks for the reply!!

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Did you use Whipping cream or Heavy cream? Whipping cream has stabilizers and emulsifiers added to it that may be reacting with the alcohol (although I don't know this for sure).

I opted to go with all light cream so I didn't do any whipping at all. Still came out pretty rich and thick.

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
Did you use Whipping cream or Heavy cream? Whipping cream has stabilizers and emulsifiers added to it that may be reacting with the alcohol (although I don't know this for sure).

I opted to go with all light cream so I didn't do any whipping at all. Still came out pretty rich and thick.
I used heavy whipping cream, at least that's what the carton said.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Heavy cream is heavy whipping cream. ---Whipped--- cream is not. Both heavy cream and heavy whipping cream have a milk fat around 40 percent. It's just a different label by the manufacture.
I made mine earlier this week. Whipped the heavy cream in my kitchen aide mixer. Introduced everything slowly as the directions stated. So far so good. Excited to try in a couple weeks.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Been sampling from mine every 3-5 days. Started drinking it after about 10 days. Havn't felt ill yet. I think there is way to much booze to worry about food born contamination. I've had to shake mine as the heavy cream settled to the top. But only right before serving.