What's new

Aged eggnog

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Anyone else making aged eggnog? You have until tomorrow to get a batch down to be ready for Christmas. :)

This is the recipe I'm using, from a biologist who made this for decades:

http://sciencefriday.tumblr.com/post/36824999206/dr-rebecca-lancefields-eggnog-recipe

According to another page I read about this recipe, the lab tested it for salmonella and aged eggnog was actually safer than fresh because the alcohol has time to kill bacteria.

Anyhow, my batch was 1 quart of HC7 rum, 1 pint 1738 cognac, and almost a pound of sugar. I'm planning on using up a quart of the eggnog this holiday season and aging the rest to gift next Christmas. Will post tomorrow when I bottle it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have never thought to make my own.
I am going to subscribe to this so when I am craving eggnog in June/July I can make some. Hahaha thanks for the tip.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, you guys are brave, that looks sketchy but apparently its fine.

I'll have my eye on this thread to see whst you guys come out with.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
According to another page I read about this recipe, the lab tested it for salmonella and aged eggnog was actually safer than fresh because the alcohol has time to kill bacteria.
They demonstrate that very well, here.

They found live colonies in the samples tested after mixing all of the ingredients, but none after 3 weeks. So don't drink it until after at least 3 weeks.

On the other hand, you could go the safe route and buy pasteurized eggs, or, gently heating them as you would when making a basic custard. Also, using fresh eggs lowers the chance of any initial contamination even more.

Last edited:

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I got very bad food poisoning from homemade egg nog only once and I believe it was because it was made that same day

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Totally interested yet sketched out by reading some peoples worries haha. To bad I wont be able to get all the stuff to make it and enjoy by christmas. But if all goes well for you guys I may have to revisit this in the summer to get an eggnog fix!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Luckily I have bourbon at home. I have rum, but what rum would be best? I think I have some halfdecent for mixing light rum and plenty of darker rums. Anyone have experience with rum variety and preference?

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Luckily I have bourbon at home. I have rum, but what rum would be best? I think I have some halfdecent for mixing light rum and plenty of darker rums. Anyone have experience with rum variety and preference?
I used Havana Club 7. I would use a light rum personally, but I did see a comment somewhere on a blog post about aged eggnog (lost now) where someone used dark and it was ok.