What's new

Answer These Questions For A Fiver!

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
David just to chime in on Question 3. I personally would install on your laptop and here is why. It will only let you have music on one device. So if you copied your music from desk top to laptop then you can have two clear accounts for your music. Just my opinion.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
David just to chime in on Question 3. I personally would install on your laptop and here is why. It will only let you have music on one device. So if you copied your music from desk top to laptop then you can have two clear accounts for your music. Just my opinion.
Interesting...might explain something that happened. This is what I did:

Uninstalled and re-downloaded onto the desktop. Even though it was a fresh download, it listed all the music I had in my old itunes from 3 years ago. It will not let me drag and drop any of that music onto the iphone. Do you think it is due to the fact that I already put that on my ipod shuffle??

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
You can have the same music on more than one device - you just can't have the device on more than one PC (it can be done, but requires additional stuff you probly don't wanna mess with yet)

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
You can have the same music on more than one device - you just can't have the device on more than one PC (it can be done, but requires additional stuff you probly don't wanna mess with yet)
So technically, I should be able to drag and drop that music on the iphone listed under "my devices"?

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Figured it out the music issue.

Question 4:

I use hotmail as my email client and it is working fine in regards to checking mail. When I create a new email, I do not see any feature to create an email addy list in order to pull addy's from. All I see is a feature to go into my contact list...which is just phone numbers. Am I missing something? I know I can add email addy's in the contact list but what if I was emailing someone that I do not have in my contact list??

In other words, am I able to create an email addy list within hotmail on the iphone?

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Try this - start typing a name or address that you know is in your hotmail list and see if it pulls it up in a drop-down list. i don't use Hotmail but Gmail and Yahoo work like that for me. If it doesn't, once you email someone, their address will be imbedded in your phone cache.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Try this - start typing a name or address that you know is in your hotmail list and see if it pulls it up in a drop-down list. i don't use Hotmail but Gmail and Yahoo work like that for me. If it doesn't, once you email someone, their address will be imbedded in your phone cache.
That works! I only needed to get a handful in there so that method will work fine.

Thanks!

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
swat is right as far as i know. i have hotmail forwarded to gmail for push notifications. i don't use hotmail much but last i checked they did not support push email. could have changed. i had to log into hotmail using safari to get the contacts i had in hotmail.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Question #5

This question is sorta a piggyback off question #1. As stated, I figured out that in order to open the keyboard in a text message, I click the area towards the bottom of the screen. If I want to close the keyboard down after sending the message in order to have a larger viewing area to see the whole conversation, how do I do that? It seems to automatically eliminate after a period of time when I come back to the conversation, but what if I want to immediately close it down?

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question #5

This question is sorta a piggyback off question #1. As stated, I figured out that in order to open the keyboard in a text message, I click the area towards the bottom of the screen. If I want to close the keyboard down after sending the message in order to have a larger viewing area to see the whole conversation, how do I do that? It seems to automatically eliminate after a period of time when I come back to the conversation, but what if I want to immediately close it down?
At the moment, there is no possible way to exit the keyboard. The quickest way would to just click 'Messages' in the top left to return to the screen with all the SMS messages, then select the same message again. Some applications you can double click in the content area (where the messages are displayed) and it will remove the keyboard, but the native SMS application doesn't, unfortunately :(

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
at the moment, there is no possible way to exit the keyboard. The quickest way would to just click 'messages' in the top left to return to the screen with all the sms messages, then select the same message again. Some applications you can double click in the content area (where the messages are displayed) and it will remove the keyboard, but the native sms application doesn't, unfortunately :(
10-4...

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Question #6

It seems like the volume control on the side is a universal control and effects everything. For example, if I raise the volume during a call to hear the person better, it seems like my ringer and text message notifications are louder also...which I don't want. Am I correct or am I missing something? I would think one would be able to adjust them independently.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
And why the hell doesn't this phone come with a manual like every other one I have bought since 1995!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
And why the hell doesn't this phone come with a manual like every other one I have bought since 1995!
Check the box. That round thing is called a DVD. They go in a "DVD" player. They sell a converter for your Betamax at Radioshack. :rofl::rofl:

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Check the box. That round thing is called a DVD. They go in a "DVD" player. They sell a converter for your Betamax at Radioshack. :rofl::rofl:
lol...coming from someone who has obviously never held an iPhone box! Care to show me where they stuck the DVD in this box? :wink:

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question #6

It seems like the volume control on the side is a universal control and effects everything. For example, if I raise the volume during a call to hear the person better, it seems like my ringer and text message notifications are louder also...which I don't want. Am I correct or am I missing something? I would think one would be able to adjust them independently.
Each control should be separate. While in a call the volume control should adjust both loudness for speaker and earphone. When not in a call it will adjust any sounds, SMS tone, email tone, iPod, in-game/app sounds, etc. Not sure why it's doing them both for you. Try adjusting the volume low when out of a call, then make a test call and see where it is and make sure they're all set to where you want them.

Here is a good iPhone user guide: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions. I would recommend jailbraking your phone once you become accustomed to all the features and are looking for some more freedom and more customizable, but the new iPhones ship with a bootrom which hasn't been hacked yet. So we're waiting on the iPhone Dev-Team to break it. Don't want to keep answering all your questions since you have it set up as a contest, just want to help another brother out with his iPhone since I'm heavy into that community.

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
he is right, each should be independent of the other. most of the new phones do not come with a dvd but with a link to a manual. i guess they decided that was a way to save a buck or two.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Next question (I know I can find this in the manual or online but is more fun listing them for a fiver contest!)

Question 7:

I have read about "rebooting" the phone. I assume it is different than just powering down since it appears that it is done by holding the power button and the center select button on the bottom at the same time. Is this correct? How often should one do this? Is it necessary? For example, does the phone run/react better after a weekly reboot?