What's new

Answer These Questions For A Fiver!

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Question 8:

Are certain apps glitchy and effect the performance of the phone? I had one app freeze up on me today but I was able to get back to the home screen and then deleted it. Is an occasional freeze up on an app normal?

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I have a cheap old ipod shuffle that I use to mow our lawn. Haven't changed the music on it in 3 years and don't plan on it.

If I go to the app store on the phone, it wants my username and password for itunes which I don't have a clue. If I bring it up on my computer, I am automatically logged in so I haven't had to put my info in for a long time.

Question 3: Do I...

Uninstall and download again on the desktop? My email has changed since installing itunes many years ago so I could update the email and username.

or

Download itunes onto my laptop that is 6 months old that I rarely use so I have a designated download just for the iphone?
Check for an update on Apple itunes and then download it onto your laptop/computer. Then you will have the most current version, which will allow you to manage your Iphone!

Question 8:

Are certain apps glitchy and effect the performance of the phone? I had one app freeze up on me today but I was able to get back to the home screen and then deleted it. Is an occasional freeze up on an app normal?

There are certain apps that are still buggy! Easiest way is to check and see if there is an update or try a similar app. The buggy app shouldnt affect your performance though!

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Next question (I know I can find this in the manual or online but is more fun listing them for a fiver contest!)

Question 7:

I have read about "rebooting" the phone. I assume it is different than just powering down since it appears that it is done by holding the power button and the center select button on the bottom at the same time. Is this correct? How often should one do this? Is it necessary? For example, does the phone run/react better after a weekly reboot?

holding the power button and the home button at the bottom is rebooting. if you continue to hold them both down it will turn the phone off. if you notice the phone running slow or have issues with some of the new apps not working try the reboot before you delete the app. I reboot about every week or so but not sure if you have to do it that often.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
holding the power button and the home button at the bottom is rebooting. if you continue to hold them both down it will turn the phone off. if you notice the phone running slow or have issues with some of the new apps not working try the reboot before you delete the app. I reboot about every week or so but not sure if you have to do it that often.
And question 7 is awarded to you....

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question 8:

Most applications are usually pretty solid as they're tested well before being uploaded to the App Store. Occasionally you will have an app crash or freeze up on you. In order to force quit an application, hold down on the top power button until the "Slide to Power Off" slider comes up and then hold the home button down until it returns you to your homescreen.

There is also the rare occasion of one app causing all third party applications to stop working. At that point I usual do a restore, but this has never happened to me, only once on a friend's phone.

The occasional freeze/crash is normal just not if it's doing it multiple times a day or affecting other third party applications.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Question 9:

A couple of times tonight I had an issue accessing the visual voicemail. I would tap the message and a little circle would spin where the play and pause icons usually are...almost like a buffering indicator but it wouldn't play after waiting a least a minute. Both times were seconds after getting the voicemail. When I came back to them 2-3 minutes later, they played fine. Anyone ever have that issue?

I know that you can also hold the 1 key on the dialpad to access voicemail but didn't think of testing that when the issues were happening with the visual voicemail.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
A couple of times tonight I had an issue accessing the visual voicemail. I would tap the message and a little circle would spin where the play and pause icons usually are...almost like a buffering indicator but it wouldn't play after waiting a least a minute. Both times were seconds after getting the voicemail. When I came back to them 2-3 minutes later, they played fine. Anyone ever have that issue?

I know that you can also hold the 1 key on the dialpad to access voicemail but didn't think of testing that when the issues were happening with the visual voicemail.
It's happened to me several times. Funny thing is it does not do it with all the voicemails in the queue, usually just the latest one. For me it seems to self-correct after a little while - I guess it's just a processing issue on the iPhone.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
It's happened to me several times. Funny thing is it does not do it with all the voicemails in the queue, usually just the latest one. For me it seems to self-correct after a little while - I guess it's just a processing issue on the iPhone.
Have you tried the method of pressing and holding the 1 key on the dial pad to see if that bypasses the problem? As we have both said, it self corrects but let's say the issue is happening and you go straight to the dial pad and hold the 1 key, will you hear the voicemail in question?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Have you tried the method of pressing and holding the 1 key on the dial pad to see if that bypasses the problem? As we have both said, it self corrects but let's say the issue is happening and you go straight to the dial pad and hold the 1 key, will you hear the voicemail in question?
Nope, I haven't tried that yet... I just wait for it to fix itself.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I bet it does which is nice to know if it is a relatively important voicemail and you need to hear it immediately.
Yeah, I'll have to try that. If the message is showing up on the phone then it should be on the VM server. Likely just an issue with processing on the visual voicemail.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I called Apple and they had me reinstall the iphone software through itunes and I have had no issues since. Just wanted to let you know.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Question 10:

Can I have itunes on 2 different computers? Can I download it onto my laptop and sync my phone on that if needed? If so, what does it entail? If not, what does one do if their computer crashes and the have to download it again?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am on my netbook right now with my itunes and all I haven't synced my iphone with this computer but from what I understand it is the same you have to authorize your second computer (go to store tab on top and select authorize this comp). When you do sync it do not automatically sync it select what you want to sync like calenders and contacts as you may have different stuff on the two computers. as far as back up protection get an external drive with sufficient memory and setup backups for your desktop comp.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Final Question since I am pretty accustomed to the OS now.

Question 11
I see some movies and TV episodes in the itunes store are offered in HD. Does the iPhone support HD?...will I see a noticeable difference?

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
After question 11 is answered, I will placing the names in a hat to end the contest.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Um yes they will place on the iphone. No you will not notice a difference on that size of screen.
Well, I know they will play on the iPhone...I was trying to determine if it was worth the money difference since stuff listed in HD is more expensive. Based on your second part of the response, I would say it is not worth the extra dollar or two?