What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
The other day I watched a YouTube video where a guy made Salt and Pepper shakers out of wood. I had some Walnut and Maple off-cuts from a different project so I thought I'd try it out.

This is just the first attempt and I only made one (salt - hence the maple top) but it's made by laminating 3/4" walnut to 3/4" maple to 3/4" walnut. I think the next one will be 3/4 walnut to 1/4" maple to 3/4" walnut to give it more visual appeal.

The bottom is where you fill the shaker with salt.

Then I used a wine cork as the plug and recessed it so it would still sit flush.

Like I said, this one is salt. I'm going to reverse everything for the pepper shaker.

Last edited:

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That’s pretty interesting. Did you countersink the underside of the shaker hole or does it flow freely drill straight through?

I got a short start on building my outfeed table. I picked a couple of 2’ x 4’ MDF project panels from Home Depot yesterday...because 4x8 is heavy shit. I cut them one inch oversize, glued them up, screw clamped the hell out of it. The bar clamps were added to make me feel better. Crappy low-light iPad photo:

Once it’s dry, I’ll pull the screws, fill the holes, and wait for my black laminate to arrive. I won’t cut it to final size until then...just to keep Murphy from dinging a nice square edge.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
That’s pretty interesting. Did you countersink the underside of the shaker hole or does it flow freely drill straight through?
The laminated block has a 2" deep cavity in it that I hogged out using a 1 1/4" forstner bit. Then, I flipped it over and drilled another hole with a 5/8" forstner to connect it to the cavity. Next, I added the maple top and bottom to cap it. The bottom cap has 1 1/4" hole to create the countersink for the cork to go in and provide enough room to get your fingertips on it so you can pull it out and fill it with salt.

That outfeed table is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see this build come along!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've been MIA for a little while, so I've missed the last three pages of posts. I've gotta say - I'm really impressed with what you guys are making. I'll be posting some of my projects soon - as always I've been sidetracked with other nonsense.

I've been OBSESSED with watching videos of Jimmy DiResta. If you don't know who he is, just go over to youtube and type his name in. He is an insane craftsman/maker, and his videos are ridiculous. I've learned so much just from watching his videos on youtube. He's inspired so many ideas!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As for routers and tables...I’m no Vizier but I read the hieroglyphs pretty well, I have four routers (still want the Dewalt compact) and I’ve made the transition from benchtop to full size router table with lift. Ask away if you feel the need.
I guess my main concern is if the bosch colt router will be adequate for use on things other than just trim. Like i said earlier, im brand new to routers.... and most of what i have built so far has been simple pieces made out of pine. Im not yet looking for something that will stand up to everyday use on hardwood. I wont really use it for trim. This is just a hobby for me as i venture slowly deeper into the art of woodworking. Will the trim router tables available online work well for 2”-1” thick pine? Or should i just try to take it back and get a bigger router that is compatible with bigger tables?
Thanks for listening to a newb interested in the art

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I guess my main concern is if the bosch colt router will be adequate for use on things other than just trim. Like i said earlier, im brand new to routers.... and most of what i have built so far has been simple pieces made out of pine. Im not yet looking for something that will stand up to everyday use on hardwood. I wont really use it for trim. This is just a hobby for me as i venture slowly deeper into the art of woodworking. Will the trim router tables available online work well for 2”-1” thick pine? Or should i just try to take it back and get a bigger router that is compatible with bigger tables?
Thanks for listening to a newb interested in the art
While it’s damn handy for a lot of tasks...trimming, round over, light/small decorative profiles, etc...it really is meant for lighter work where a handier, more nimble machine is advantageous. It limits you to using 1/4” shank bits and maybe 8mm, too...I’m not sure. 1-2” pine might be a problem on a trim table depending on the bit profile and size of the work piece.

If you’re really interested in getting started with table routing, I encourage you to look into the bench-top models. I had the Bosch RA1181 table but if I had it to do over, I’d go with the Kreg bench-top model. It includes a Kreg standard plate and will accept many others in one of the industry standard sizes. The Bosch uses a proprietary plate.

Now, a very, very popular choice in the mid-size class of routers is the Bosch 1617. The RA1161 adjustable base can be mounted to the table and gives you the ability to adjust bit height from above the table with an included T-hex key. Take the motor out of the base and you can slap it in a plunge or fixed base for handheld work.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I recently picked up a Rigid Oscillating Spindle sander (which I have fallen in love with) but I didn’t have a “home” for it. Since my “shop” is small (3rd garage bay), space is a premium.

Today, I build a cabinet for it to permanently sit on.

Since taking the pics, I have edge banded and put the first coat of polyurethane on. I’ll probably do 4 or 5 coats on the top. I also will add locking casters as everything in my small shop has to be able to roll.

I’ll post more pics once it’s finished.

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I recently picked up a Rigid Oscillating Spindle sander (which I have fallen in love with) but I didn’t have a “home” for it. Since my “shop” is small (3rd garage bay), space is a premium.

Today, I build a cabinet for it to permanently sit on.

Since taking the pics, I have edge banded and put the first coat of polyurethane on. I’ll probably do 4 or 5 coats on the top. I also will add locking casters as everything in my small shop has to be able to roll.

I’ll post more pics once it’s finished.

Get rid of the cars then you will have lots of shop space!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Nice! Now it’s my turn to be jealous. I’ve had my eye on that for some time, now. My ideal plan is to also get a benchtop disc/belt sander and build a flip top workstand for both.
I knew I’d use this sander a lot but I had no idea that I’d use it for almost every single project! I love it. It’s nice to be able to take the piece your working on to the sander vs. taking the sander to the piece. So much more control!

I would like to get a drum sander in the future as well.

I almost built a flip top cabinet for this and my planer but I have my planet and joiner sitting together on an old case TV (with casters) and it works really well in that fashion. Plus, it’s a huge conversation starter. Haha

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Get rid of the cars then you will have lots of shop space!
If I can get to the point where I am doing production work, I’d do that. However, I don’t want to get to that point as I’m truly loving this being a hobby.

I have pitched the idea to my wife of me using the 2 garage bays as the “shop” and she can park in the single bay while I park outside but... she said no. :(

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
If I can get to the point where I am doing production work, I’d do that. However, I don’t want to get to that point as I’m truly loving this being a hobby.

I have pitched the idea to my wife of me using the 2 garage bays as the “shop” and she can park in the single bay while I park outside but... she said no. :(
Just do it gradually... ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, BubbLa... Those fridge/freezer doors are amazing! I can only guess what's inside that fridge/freezer...