What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Finally built a cabinet for our turntable and records.

And, yes, that is Taylor Swift playing. My youngest just got home from school and decided to play it so you can choke on your judgements. :)
Barry, you seem to be having a problem with your spelling today. Only the second "e" in judgment not the first as you have it. ;):writer::D

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Had a buddy call me about a black walnut tree that fell on his property. I ended up with 8 slabs when all was milled up, it wasn't a huge tree but big enough to get some nice wood off of. Just need to let these dry about a year and they will be ready to go for some sort of project.

IMG_0569.jpg

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Had a buddy call me about a black walnut tree that fell on his property. I ended up with 8 slabs when all was milled up, it wasn't a huge tree but big enough to get some nice wood off of. Just need to let these dry about a year and they will be ready to go for some sort of project.

View attachment 109526
Duuuuuuuuuuude! Congrats on the free score, man! Those will be great slabs to work with! Are you going to just sticker them in the backyard or do you have a place in the garage/basement to store?

StogieFisher

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Duuuuuuuuuuude! Congrats on the free score, man! Those will be great slabs to work with! Are you going to just sticker them in the backyard or do you have a place in the garage/basement to store?
Stickered in the basement, sealed the ends with some paint to prevent checking and used 4 1000lb ratchet straps to secure them to prevent too much bowing of the boards on top since there isn't any weight to hold them down.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just need to let these dry about a year and they will be ready to go for some sort of project.
Nice! What's the RH like in SLMO? A lot of posts on the woodworking sites suggest air drying takes closer to 2 years. But then, I've never done it myself. I would if I had room, though. I bought a big honkin' digital wall clock for the shop a while back that also shows temperature and RH. The latter reads "LL" all the time so drying wood shouldn't be a problem.

StogieFisher

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Nice! What's the RH like in SLMO? A lot of posts on the woodworking sites suggest air drying takes closer to 2 years. But then, I've never done it myself. I would if I had room, though. I bought a big honkin' digital wall clock for the shop a while back that also shows temperature and RH. The latter reads "LL" all the time so drying wood shouldn't be a problem.
Typically pretty humid, so I put it in the basement to dry. Dehumidifier + fan takes care of it

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hey! What's wrong with 55+???
haha - nothing is wrong with it! But we have vHerf'd together AND I have a profile pic above my username so if after all of that, he thinks I'm 55+, I will cry. :)

A lot of posts on the woodworking sites suggest air drying takes closer to 2 years.
Two things:
  1. I've always heard that you age 1 year for every inch thick the board is.
  2. Which woodworking sites are you on? Any recommendations?

StogieFisher

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
haha - nothing is wrong with it! But we have vHerf'd together AND I have a profile pic above my username so if after all of that, he thinks I'm 55+, I will cry. :)

Two things:
  1. I've always heard that you age 1 year for every inch thick the board is.
  2. Which woodworking sites are you on? Any recommendations?

I've read its was 1 year per inch from the middle. So a 2" board is ~ 1 year, 3" is 1.5 year etc. At the end of the day though just buy a moisture meter, takes the guess work out of when it is ready to use.