What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Sorry, late to the thread.
But thank you for the opportunity to BRAG! ;-) You see, I too am afflicted with the sawdust addiction, and I partakem in the hobby nearly every day after work (never before work), often with cigar in hand, and always with loud rock and roll. Mostly I make make boring cabinets and furniture and doohickeys for the shop or house, but sometimes I make gifts for others. And, if we're being honest here, occasionally I make stuff just for moi, like this cigar measuring device:
View attachment 106161
Maybe I'll make these and sell 'em when I retire? Who knows...
Here are some Christmas presents from 2015:
View attachment 106162
View attachment 106163
And then there's some fancy-pants trays I built for my coolidor a few years back...
View attachment 106164
View attachment 106165

Good Grief I need to retire soon! These were really fun and challenging builds. I just wish I could spend ALL DAY in the shop...

Very nice little hobby, that you could turn into an advocation.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve tried to stay away from pine for some reason. Do have any trouble with pitch bleed using PU? I have one small piece in the house that’s bleeding through the pickle finish. I should’ve sealed it with shellac first.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried to stay away from pine for some reason. Do have any trouble with pitch bleed using PU? I have one small piece in the house that’s bleeding through the pickle finish. I should’ve sealed it with shellac first.
I haven’t had any problems yet. I always condition the pine before staining though

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen, brother! I learned the same lesson with a front-door refinishing job. On one door I had a helluva time with varnish going on top of stain (and apparently leftover stripper trapped in pores). When I did the other door, I first laid down a 2# cut of de-waxed shellac and the varnish went on flawlessly. Shellac is your friend: It seals whatever is underneath it, and sticks well to whatever goes on top of it.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Another shiny black accessory arrived on Tuesday: the Sawstop overarm dust collection attachment. It didn’t take long to put it together today:

Just seven components, all nicely made. Steel and aluminum parts are powder coated like the saw. The upper arm swings out of the way when needed. Vacuum is provided via a splitter connected to the saw’s dust collection port. It looks like more than it actually is in this image because I also have a Rockler Dust Right quick-connect fitting installed.

Dust collection is much improved above the table, even with my anemic collector. I do have my eye on a couple of cyclone collectors for future upgrade.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice dust collection arm on that SawStop. Beats hell out of my plastic-tubing-and-dangling-bungee-cord operation!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does anyone know if there is a router table out there that is compatible with the bosch colt router? I know its a little small for table use, but i was gifted the router from my wife this christmas and would like to use it if i can. I dont have any experience with routers yet, so most of what i can find online about the subject is like trying to decipher hieroglyphics for me.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As for routers and tables...I’m no Vizier but I read the hieroglyphs pretty well, I have four routers (still want the Dewalt compact) and I’ve made the transition from benchtop to full size router table with lift. Ask away if you feel the need.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Still gearing up the Sawstop. Got these goodies from Infinity a couple of days ago:

...the Dadonator dado stack and their Sawstop zero clearance throat plate with interchangeable inserts. I’ve been getting by with an Oshlun dado stack for about three years and I’ve been itching to upgrade for for some time, so I’m looking forward to try the Dadonator out. The available throat plate inserts are geared toward standard blades, both with and without saw guard slot and I hope to fabricate my own inserts for dado blades...which is what I intend to use the throat plate for. Pics of that when I get to it.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Still gearing up the Sawstop. Got these goodies from Infinity a couple of days ago:

...the Dadonator dado stack and their Sawstop zero clearance throat plate with interchangeable inserts. I’ve been getting by with an Oshlun dado stack for about three years and I’ve been itching to upgrade for for some time, so I’m looking forward to try the Dadonator out. The available throat plate inserts are geared toward standard blades, both with and without saw guard slot and I hope to fabricate my own inserts for dado blades...which is what I intend to use the throat plate for. Pics of that when I get to it.
So awesome!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Does anyone know if there is a router table out there that is compatible with the bosch colt router? I know its a little small for table use, but i was gifted the router from my wife this christmas and would like to use it if i can. I dont have any experience with routers yet, so most of what i can find online about the subject is like trying to decipher hieroglyphics for me.
There are a bunch of videos on YouTube on how to build a bench top table for a trim router.

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Wow guys this popped into my inbox this morning. I just gave it my all rebuilding some laundry room cabinets. They are decent at best. I took the old broken cabinets apart and use them as templates. I was able to keep the frame, doors and shelves as they was in good shape. The boxes were made of ½ plywood. The neighbor helped me out and lent me his table saw and garage. Now I’m ready to clean out 1/2 if my garage and make a small shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
One of the first projects I plan for the new saw, is a project for the new saw: an outfeed table. It's based on a design by Chris Marshall, published in the February 2009 edition of Wordworker's Journal. It can also be found at the Rockler website.

Click an image to enlarginate.

I think I've about got it tweaked to my saw's dimensions and clearances. One issue was the dust collection attachment. After almost finalizing the model, I realized that about 6 or 7 inches of the hose and coupling wouldn't fit under the table. I started making modifications, then suddenly had a head-smacking idea. I went out to the shop (garage), removed the overarm, then mounted the tubing brackets upside-down, which gave me the clearance I need...I think. I'll have to cut a test block to be sure. But that won't hold me up from the next step...procuring materials. I'll start that tomorrow when The Wife and I are in town on errands/shopping.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
One of the first projects I plan for the new saw, is a project for the new saw: an outfeed table. It's based on a design by Chris Marshall, published in the February 2009 edition of Wordworker's Journal. It can also be found at the Rockler website.

I've always liked this idea for an outfeed table. Especially in a smaller shop like mine (garage). Having a dedicated outfeed table would take up too much valuable space and I know I'd end up leaving material/projects on it that I would then have to move just so I could use it as an outfeed table. Having one like this would force me to only use it when I needed it and I would never have to move stock or anything around to use it. And, what a space saver!