What's new

Any Other Woodworkers on BOTL?

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I only had time to check one box today: mounting the support hinge bracket. I wanted to glue & screw it to the outfeed, so I had to route away a recess through the laminate. I laid out the location of the bracket to match the outfeed mounting block’s offset from the cabinet centerline, then built an MDF pattern around it using double-sided tape.

A top bearing mortising bit, set just deep enough to get through the laminate and adhesive, followed the outline set by the form and made pretty quick work of routing the recess. Two pre-drilled and countersunk holes, some glue, a couple of screws, some wax, and done.

I still need to drill a couple more holes in the mounting block and rail. I picked up the metal drilling bit for that yesterday.

Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Weekend update: Saturday, I put a couple of extra bolts in the mounting block by drilling and countersinking the new holes in the block then I temporarily bolted it back in place with the three middle bolts. I used a pilot point bit the same size as the holes to just start the new holes in the rail, then removed the block. It didn’t take too long to drill the rail using a HSS metal bit and some spray lube. I deburred the new holes and reinstalled the rail, with all holes lined up, pretty as you please.

Sunday, I installed a spacer on the underside of the outfeed where the support leg will be locked in the stowed position.

I also drilled more holes in my new saw to mount the ledge that the support leg will rest on.

Pretty much all that’s left to do is install a little more hardware and do some final fitting.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yesssssssss! Major milestone today: I have acreage.

I bolted the outfeed on for the last time and made final installation of the barrel bolts, adjusting the one that locks the support leg in the extended position, so the table is level. That was a do-it-again-and-again pain in the neck but I got it spot on in the end.

All I have to do now is route miter slot extensions so my sled and miter gage have full travel. Not today, though. I’m pooped.

Last edited:

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Man, I love watching this build out.
And now it’s done:

I used some scrap MDF and double-sided tape to set up router patterns aligned with the miter slots and made the cuts with a 3/4”.top bearing mortising bit. At some point, I may go back and undercut the slots with a T-slot bit so I can push my miter gage further but for everyday purposes, it goes far enough. The crosscut sled doesn’t need them though. The slots allow it to run smoothly for a complete cut at full blade height.

Now for some real woodworking projects.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
And now it’s done:

I used some scrap MDF and double-sided tape to set up router patterns aligned with the miter slots and made the cuts with a 3/4”.top bearing mortising bit. At some point, I may go back and undercut the slots with a T-slot bit so I can push my miter gage further but for everyday purposes, it goes far enough. The crosscut sled doesn’t need them though. The slots allow it to run smoothly for a complete cut at full blade height.

Now for some real woodworking projects.
Envy is the word that comes to mind. Very nicely done.
Now, what are you going to build with it first?? :)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Ironically, perhaps, something that won’t put the new outfeed to much use, I think...or maybe a little. The Wife has asked some paw-shaped urn boxes for the ashes of three dearly departed cats.
Sorry about the pets. I've had to make quite a few boxes of various sizes over the years. Never made any paw-shaped though. Seems like a really nice idea. I usually just do a simple wood box. Hamsters, fish, rats, and so on, although I've cheated (been lazy) a few times and used cigar boxes.:whistle:

For the rat I did carve a epitaph in a brick, though, so that should count for something. Turned out nice, but reminded me why I'm not a stone carver.

Hope you enjoy your new set up. It really does look like it turned out nice.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
RANDOM QUESTION: my table saw has 1.75 HP motor in it and is wired for 120 volts. There is a kit for it that will allow me to wire it for 240 volts instead. If I do that, what kind of increase will I find? With its current setup, 3/4 MDF will bog it down for some reason. Will more power coming into it give the motor more torque?
In all likelihood the motor will draw what it draws, so it’ll still be a 1.75hp saw. That said, 3/4” MDF shouldn’t be bogging you down so much. Have you eliminated other causes like a dull/dirty blade or fence alignment?
I just realized that I never came back and updated this situation. Being the noob I am to woodworking, I completely missed the fact that I was running a 40T Diablo blade for all cuts. It is the most expensive blade of what I owned so I used it for everything without thinking that it is really designed for cross cuts and not rip cuts.

So, I went out and bought a 24T Diablo for all of my rips and it cuts through Walnut/Maple/Oak like butter again.

In short, your tooth count matters!

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, I went out and bought a 24T Diablo for all of my rips and it cuts through Walnut/Maple/Oak like butter
I’ve had good luck with blades from Infinity but my rip blades have shoulders which aren’t recommended by Sawstop. I recently receive a 24T rip blade from Ridge Carbide that works well.

StogieFisher

Trolling troll is trolling.
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Have a 40T woodworker 2 blade from Forrest. It has handled all of my rip cuts and crosscuts with ease. Im sure the 24T would go faster when ripping some hardwoods but the time it takes to change the blades is more annoying to me.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A quick project today: I modified my shop vac dust separator. I’ve had a simple one for a few years, the Dust Right from Rockler but the problem is, the fuller it gets, the less effective it is. So I bought a Dust Deputy cyclonic separator a few months ago and just got around to rigging it up.

I removed the old hose ports and sealed them with plywood plugs, then drilled/cut holes in the center to mount the new separator. Now for the test. I emptied the shop vac onto the floor and dumped what was in the separator on top of it.

After vacuuming it up, I opened up the shop vac again and found that only a bit of the finest dust made it past the cyclone and the new HEPA filter catches that.

Now I just need to make a mobile cart to hold the vac, separator, hoses, and other accessories.

Here’s a short slow motion video of the cyclone in action.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I foolishly showed the wife that I can build things.... now I have a cabinet project I front of me. Anyone know a good source for affordable soft close drawer glides?